Who Is Best Bar Box Player In Usa?

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuechick said:
Stevie Moore
It's a small world. I just met Steve today, and watched Matlock play in his prime.

We need another bar table "world" championship tournament with lots of side action.

Eydie?????

Last edited:
T

Timberly

cuechick said:
He won the MeDermott World Bar Box Championship when he was 21...my money would be on him.
Not sure how smart of a bet that would be simply because Stevie doesn't play as much as he used to. I kinda wish he hadn't gotten out of pool as much as he did because I've always enjoyed watching him shoot. Had he decided to take the pro tour route, I'd get to see him shoot more. As it is, I'm proud of him for what he's decided to do or try to do with his life. A better, more stable future than being a pool player.... :cool:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
sjm said:
Where does Vernon Elliot rate in this regard?

Last I heard, Vernon had a stroke and was confined to a wheelchair. I don't think he's hit a ball in a couple of years.

just more hot air!

Sherm

Eydie Romano

Finally Retired!
Silver Member
ScottR said:
It's a small world. I just met Steve today, and watched Matlock play in his prime.

We need another bar table "world" championship tournament with lots of side action.

Eydie?????

It sure is a possibility. Maybe soon!

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Buddy Hall, Dave Matlock, Reed Pierce, and Gene "the Machine" Cooper were some of the best I've watched & played on the barbox, but you can't forget Earl either! I've seen him run sets playing on the barbox!

just more hot air!

Sherm

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuesmith said:
Buddy Hall, Dave Matlock, Reed Pierce, and Gene "the Machine" Cooper were some of the best I've watched & played on the barbox, but you can't forget Earl either! I've seen him run sets playing on the barbox!

just more hot air!

Sherm

That was why I said Hopkins, I saw him beat Gene "the Machine" to death giving him weight in the 70's when Gene was at his best. Hopkins told me later he grew up playing on the small table. I guess they had one when he was a kid.

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
The kid

The kid from south dakota! plays 8 or 9 very very good on the box. antbody can get played on the box. he just played kirkwood. took the cheese! he plays jam up on the box. :cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is interesting to read the replies in a "Who's the Best...?" thread. The answers are varied, but the responders, depending on their age, generally favor players who reside within their region of the country.

As an example, it is quite difficult for a person in their twenties to know how strong of a player Buddy Hall was when he was in his prime.

Dave Matlock, the Maverick from the Midwest, is a tough combatant on the bar table, as WAS Vernon Elliott who is today a senior citizen, but in his heyday, he beat plenty of top guns without batting an eye. How can one compare Vernon Elliott and Dave Matlock's caliber of play? It would be pretty difficult if you've never seen Vernon compete and only saw Matlock in recent times.

In California back in the '70s and '80s, every road player and pool champion traveled to the West Coast to get a piece of the youngster, Keith McCready, and he sent all of them back home with empty pockets. Many Californians still consider him King of the 7-footers even today.

Go to New Orleans and the name Reed Pierce will be the top banana. He has a strong following, though the 1995 U.S. Open Champion hasn't attended a U.S. Open in the past 3 years. Is he the best bar-box mechanic? When he was hitting 'em, he probably was.

I know the answer to who is the best bar box player, 8-ball or 9-ball, and on any given day, it could be any one of the players listed in this thread.

For the youngster who inquired if Keith McCready still plays, the answer is yes. I think you'd have to be living under a rock to not know whether Keith still plays today.

I do know who Keith himself thinks is King of the 7-Footers in the year 2005, and his opinion is based on his personal observations and his own expertise of the bar box, big and small cue-ball. The answer is Jesse Bowman in 2005. Could Jesse have beaten Vernon Elliott in 1960, Buddy Hall in 1970, Keith McCready in 1980, or Reed Pierce in 1990? Now there's the real question. Unfortunately, none of us will ever know the answer.

Just as an FYI, the elderly Keith McCready won more money on the 7-foot Diamond action table than any other player at the recent SBE. He busted the table the first night and everybody quit when he ran two 11's and one 10. Buddy, Vernon, Dave, and Reed were not present. :p

JAM

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Larry Nevel played the best bar box 9-ball I have ever seen played. Maybe he was just on fire that day but it would have been pretty tough to beat him on that day. He was winning races to 9 with ease with his opponents never missing a shot.

Brian Groce on his best day playing 8-ball on the box is also pretty unreal.

That being said the small tables are a great equalizer and bunch alot of the top players into being little more then flips of a coin against each other IMO.

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
JAM said:
Just as an FYI, the elderly Keith McCready won more money on the 7-foot Diamond action table than any other player at the recent SBE. He busted the table the first night and everybody quit when he ran two 11's and one 10. Buddy, Vernon, Dave, and Reed were not present. :p

*shudder* And I was proud of stringing 3 on a bar box LOL

Now I understand the term "Earthquake".

Shorty

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Shorty said:
*shudder* And I was proud of stringing 3 on a bar box LOL

Now I understand the term "Earthquake".

Shorty

The fact that there is no really good footage of Kieth playing in his prime is a shame.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One name that escaped this thread is Shannon "The Cannon" Daulton. Although he excels in ALL games, to include the 7-footers, he is one mean machine on the bar box, make no mistake about it. He can move the balls and create patterns that will boggle the mind.

JAM

T

Timberly

JAM said:
One name that escaped this thread is Shannon "The Cannon" Daulton. Although he excels in ALL games, to include the 7-footers, he is one mean machine on the bar box, make no mistake about it. He can move the balls and create patterns that will boggle the mind.

JAM
I was thinking the same thing. I don't know about "best" because I don't know quite a few people that're being mentioned so I don't feel right putting my .02 on who I think is the best. I do remember that when Shannon was a teenager, he was known & feared by quite a few on the barbox. His was one of the names that came to mind when I first saw this thread... :cool:

time_is_now

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bignasty said:
The kid from south dakota! plays 8 or 9 very very good on the box. antbody can get played on the box. he just played kirkwood. took the cheese! he plays jam up on the box. :cool:
when did he play Kirkwood?

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timberly said:
Not sure how smart of a bet that would be simply because Stevie doesn't play as much as he used to. I kinda wish he hadn't gotten out of pool as much as he did because I've always enjoyed watching him shoot. Had he decided to take the pro tour route, I'd get to see him shoot more. As it is, I'm proud of him for what he's decided to do or try to do with his life. A better, more stable future than being a pool player.... :cool:
That is exactly the same conversation we had yesterday. And, he has no regrets about the decision to pursue a normal life. His quote was something to the effect of "I love pool. But, it is not my life."

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM
Ditto on Shannon. For the big money I like the "Cannon".

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
(IMO) - The reality is..............

Almost everyone (currently playing) that is mentioned in this thread is capable of "Hitting A Gear" that would defeat all the others. None of the mentioned players are intimidated by who is sitting (waiting for their shot) so it comes down to who hits their gear for that day.
The break plays a huge part in hitting that gear and all mentioned here have a great one.
Even a bar table tourny wouldn't decide (absolutely) who the best was. It would only determine who was the best for that short period of time.
The Bar Table Tourney I would Like To See Is - An international, invitational tourney consisting of the true consensus of "Who Is The Best". Each player would start with the same bankroll (? $10,000 ?) and "LET THE GAMES BEGIN".
Who Knows - It may take a day or a week - BUT - The player with all the CA$H (in the end) - "IS THE BEST"!

Helloooooo? - Is Greg Diamond "In The House"?

TY & GL

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Someone told me recently that Jesse Bowman hits 1,000 shots a day! He's young enough and good enough to be the best right now, imho. My money would be on him, but I haven't seen any of the others play recently. 1,000 shots a day would take most of the day to complete. In three years, that'd be about 1,000,000 shots, more than most of us will shoot in a lifetime.

Imagine being that dedicated to something....wow.

Jeff Livingston