Who Is Best Bar Box Player In Usa?

Brickman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vonn31 said:
There used to be a guy from up on the mountain here in TN. He was nicknamed "mountain man" (Duh). He carried a 12lb cue ball. He was hard to beat. I haven't seen him in years.

I see him all the time....his name is Eddie Hubble, and he was a five time world bar box champion.......he is actually working on some of my game with me and also coaching , one miss Janet atwell.

He or Janet win all the local tourneys. He is a great guy to be around.

Last edited:

Brickman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuesmith said:
His real name is Steve Edwards. He hung around the Cincinnati area for a while. He busted me once, but it was because I was staking him! Bad move huh? Yeah no one knew Johnny Archer then! I just wished I'd played him myself! (not that I would have won, but it wouldn't have hurt as much)

just more hot air!

Sherm

SORRY Bud but his name is Eddie Hubble, he lives in the Bristol Va area now.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Bar Box

I have watched Matlock over years, played Buddy before he turned pro and was the best road player in the country.

Today - I would say probably Jesse Bowman
Buddy was good, but I beat him with the 7 and played even with 8 not long
haul, just on $20 challenge table, maybe 16-20 games.
Matlock was the best on a bar table I have ever seen, he told me at a
tournament that he had run 28 tables of 9 ball on a bar box, and I
have watched him run 10 tables of 10 ball on a big table in a 7 man
ring game. During the 80's, David had 3 backers in Oklahoma that would
back him up to a $500,000. David could make phenominal shots.
James Waldon (with a 'o' not 'e') is a very smart solid player, and anyone
that underestimates him will be broke, or probably will anyway. I asked
James here in Wichita at a Midwest 9 ball tournament if he had ever
played Shannon Daulton, and he said he was in Kentucky, and Shannon's
backer would not put Shannon up against Waldon. (Does that give you
an idea how strong he plays). Waldon gave a friend of mine who took
2 big ones from me, the 6,7,8,9 and the break for 10k a set, and Waldon
is up on the money. They played 2 times.
Don't necessarily count out Gabe Owen, who has been on the road for
some years now, and plays all games good.
Our own Jr. Brown is damn good on a bar box, Dominated New Orleans
and surrounding states for 7 years, got beat once down there by
Reed Pierce, and is still trying to beat Gabe Owen today.
I did watch Jr. come from the loser's side in a tournament to double
dip Waldon in the finals, and that is no easy task.
Greg Stevens was pretty darn good in his day too, depending on what
day you caught him.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
I changed my mind, I have decided that im the best bar box player in the USA.....with the right kind of weight.. any one want to give me the 2 out, and the breaks? I have money... :p

Mack
I guess if you're gonna shoot, aim high! :)

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Brickman said:
SORRY Bud but his name is Eddie Hubble, he lives in the Bristol Va area now.

Well now! I guess there's more than one "Mountain Man" ! In fact I know of at least 2. Steve Edwards like I said in a previous post, was the one who claimed to be the best with the big ball! Believe me I know! I drove all over Atlanta trying to buy a big ball for him to match up with about 20 years ago! It wasn't long after that he moved to Tennessee. About 8 years ago, out of the blue, he called me and wanted a cue.

There's also the "Mountain Man" Buddy Hall wrote about in his book, "Rags To Riches". Buddy beat him like a drum! Ask your friend Eddie if he's the one from Buddy's book. If so, he must be the hardest headed MF in the world! If you've read the book you'd know what I mean. I suspect that your friend is yet another "Mountain Man"!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Brickman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuesmith said:

Well now! I guess there's more than one "Mountain Man" ! In fact I know of at least 2. Steve Edwards like I said in a previous post, was the one who claimed to be the best with the big ball! Believe me I know! I drove all over Atlanta trying to buy a big ball for him to match up with about 20 years ago! It wasn't long after that he moved to Tennessee. About 8 years ago, out of the blue, he called me and wanted a cue.

There's also the "Mountain Man" Buddy Hall wrote about in his book, "Rags To Riches". Buddy beat him like a drum! Ask your friend Eddie if he's the one from Buddy's book. If so, he must be the hardest headed MF in the world! If you've read the book you'd know what I mean. I suspect that your friend is yet another "Mountain Man"!

just more hot air!

Sherm

I wasnt saying you were wrong about the guy you mentioned only that the guy from the mountains of Tennessee that the other poster spoke of was Eddie.........as an up and coming player trust me I know of or personally know all the threats within a 100 mile radius of me :cool:

So nothing meant by my post only that the one he spoke of was eddie ;) and that he won the world championships several times.......HE'S TOUGH.

Funny thing is he always lets Janet win if they meet in the winners bracket and yet finishes 1or 2 in almost every tourney.......and the most impressive thang is he has cancer and was suppose to die 5 months ago.....go figure?

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Sherm and Brickman,
It is possible that you two are talking about the same person.
A good friend of mine that used to run with him had told me that "Mountain Man" was on the BCA Masters list under about half a dozen names, if not more.
EDDIE Hubble
Steve EDWARDS.
And i remember my buddy refering to "Mountain Man" as both Eddie, AND Steve Edwards on different occasions.

Who knows?

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
The man I was talking about is well known for carrying a very large cue ball. But a 5 time world champion?? Probably not...By now he's probably in his 60's (maybe)

railbird25

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know he's disliked by alot of people but don't count out john hennessee when it comes to bar table play...as a matter of fact i'm pretty sure jesse bowman can go to manchester and get played there

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
railbird25 said:
i know he's disliked by alot of people but don't count out john hennessee when it comes to bar table play...as a matter of fact i'm pretty sure jesse bowman can go to manchester and get played there

Hennessee can come to St Louis and get played on a bar table by at least 3 locals here. I doubt he does though as his winning % here is quite low.

I would love to be there if Jesse played Hennessee. PLEASE set that up. Railbird, we can bet on the side and I'll give you 10% of your money back.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
railbird25 said:

Hennessee from Tennessee doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Jesse Bowman on a bar box. If he does "get played," he had better ask for some weight.

Hennessee is a great action and tournament player and knows how to match himself up quite well.

If they compete on a 9-footer, I think it would be dead even. JMHO, FWIW! :p

JAM [Handicaps good for the V-chips]

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In His 60s?

Vonn31 said:
The man I was talking about is well known for carrying a very large cue ball. But a 5 time world champion?? Probably not...By now he's probably in his 60's (maybe)

There is no person on earth that is 60+ years old now that was/is the favorite to beat Keith McCready on the bar table from 1972 to date. Especially
with the big cue ball.

Last edited:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack Madden said:
For the money, Joe Salazar was double tough - one of the best.

Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com
Joe was very good & probably the best Mexican player in his time, but when Keith was through with him at the original Hard Times in Costa Mesa, Tracy Joe got religion & stayed out of pool for a few years. Nice to hear from you Jack, it has been a long time since California Billiards in San Jose. John Henderson

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
My $ would have been on Hubbard

hemicudas said:
There is no person on earth that is 60+ years old now that was/is the favorite to beat Keith McCready on the bar table from 1972 to date. Especially
with the big cue ball.

I know how good Keith was & is. - BUT - For my $ back in the '70's (with the big bar ball), I'll take Hubbard.
Louie was playing (the best bar box player) in Chi with the big ball & Hubbard & I were "IN". Louie got the 8 and was losing. Hubbard said - Let me play - He BBQ the guy (I can't remember his name but he was Mexican), with the 8 and then BBQ'ed him some more even.
He later told Louie & I that the bar box with the big ball was his best game along with straight pool.

TY & GL

Now Bill – We both know what opinions are like AND - I’ll bet mine is bigger than yours.

Get Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im Tired Of Hearing All The Babble About Cory And David Playing...dave Had The Best Idea We Play In A Neutral State...we Will Even Let You Pick No Ohio No Missouri...if You Want The Game Here It Is 10 Ball On The Bar Table <to Eliminate The Corner Ball Rack Issue> 20 Ahead 8 Hrs Maximum Play At A Time....and You Can Bet It Up As You Say...please Lets Make This Happen Please...thats As Fair As You Can Get.....get Up Or Shut Up

As Far As That Goes Anybody Can Get A Dose

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hemi, OHB, and all other veterans of the bar box scene -

How well did UJ Puckett play on the bar boxes?

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
I know how good Keith was & is. - BUT - For my $ back in the '70's (with the big bar ball), I'll take Hubbard.
Louie was playing (the best bar box player) in Chi with the big ball & Hubbard & I were "IN". Louie got the 8 and was losing. Hubbard said - Let me play - He BBQ the guy (I can't remember his name but he was Mexican), with the 8 and then BBQ'ed him some more even.
He later told Louie & I that the bar box with the big ball was his best game along with straight pool.

TY & GL

Now Bill – We both know what opinions are like AND - I’ll bet mine is bigger than yours.

Don't go there, Tom. You ain't gonna like it. Keith himself posted this some time back and I'm not going to ask him to rehash the story. So, here goes.

In the mid 70s, Larry Hubbart and Mike Sigel, were on a road trip to the west coast and dropped in on Mr. McCready. Neither player would play Keith even on the bar box................. Larry, wanted the "8 BALL". The Earthquake wanted to play and Larry stalled long enough so Keith gives him the 8 ball and spanked his butt.

Larry and Mike leave CA shortly afterwards, go to a big bar table tournament in, I believe, Denver and Larry wins the tournament.

Again I iterate, no one 60+ years old now was the favorite to beat Keith, then or now.

Also, bet mine is bigger than yours, LOL.