Who is your top 5 cue makers?

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So let me get this straight, you post within an OPINION based thread and the very first thing you do is tell MOST who have posted that they're lying? Really?.. Well you must be one hellava psychic. To top it off you then give your "opinion" which, let's just say, reads more like a advertisement for your own personal cue collection as well as "fact" for others to ponder... Oh yeah, here's a fact for ya, South West cues has a 12+ year wait not 7.. You must have been too engrossed in your 6 figure collection for the past 10 years...I dunno, maybe you should have "checked" yourself at the "thread door" before entering...

He can't count to 5 either :clapping:

My 5 choices (and I have never played with a Szamboti :eek:)

1. Searing
2. Szamboti
3. Mobley
4. Tascarella
5. Showman

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Searing
Gina
Barry
Pete the Cop and Son
Balabushka, if something is available that catches my eye

Freddie <~~~ loves fantasizing

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Cognoscenti
2. Josswest
3. Southwest
4. Gina
5. BCM (Bryan Mordt)

6. Benson
7. Struggs
8. Schon
9. Kershenbrock
10. Jackie Madden

I might be a little biased as my arsenal is only missing a Southwest.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schick
Searing
Szamboti
Showman
South West

I have owned cues from all of the above except Dennis. I have played with a couple of his cues enough to include him in my list.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first five...

I'll chip in...

In no order,

Later era Balabushka

Gus Szamboti

Tad

Tascarella

Tim Scruggs

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Any list that doesn't have Gus Szamboti and Paul Mottey on it makes me snarl....:angry:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the final 5...

meucci

wheat

anything from asia in the 70's especially the 3+ piece cues

broomstick

20oz roofing hammer

HAH!....

Those 'hand carved' walking sticks that convert into a cue

Three, four, and five piece cues with the weight rings

Any Minnesota Fats cue

For that matter, any cue with some endorsee's name on it,
The Miz, Earl Strickland, etc.

Those anodized all aluminum cues

:)

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
...Because there are so many great cue makers climbing the ladder that it is not hard tom find a truly great cue for a couple thousand dollars made by any of 50+ dedicated people in the business...

OK, I'd like to see your top 50 list. I know it'll be a chore, but if you don't find it too terribly daunting, I really would like to see your top 50 (or so) list.

Thanks

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top 5 cues

1. Black Boar...thats what I play with now. Great craftmanship.

2. Paul Mottey....Used one for years, gave it to my son and he wont give it back....LOL.. Loved that cue.

3...4...5...Any Balabuska, Szamboti and Richard Black cues.

There are plenty more...Ginacue, Schick, etc. but thats my top 5.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I can tell that most of you have never even owned prob more than half the cues that you list. I have owned so many cues since I started collecting high end cues in 1978 that I could never even guess the count (1,000+) and still have an amazing collection worth somewhere in the lower 6 figure range, I have went to and met most of the better cue makers around the country and know their craftsmanship and dedication that it takes to make a great cue.

1) David Kersenbrock (Chicago) is by far the man that changed cue making forever with several of his innovations. The play-ability is unmatched. Owning a cue made by the very eccentric David Paul Kersenbrock is an honor to all that are fortunate enough to find one for sale. Some of the older better known cue makers from the 1950's -60's made great cues for their time in history, Kersenbrock changed all of that and added technology in to cue making that makes all of those older cues seem like house cues compared to the way that cues play today.( I own 2 -1986 & 1999)

2) Jerry and Laurie Franklin at Southwest cues (Las Vegas) learned the art of making cues from Mr. Kersenbrock and a lot of early Southwest cues were made by him. Southwest's 7 year waiting list to get a cue speaks for itself. After Jerry sadly passed away in 1996 Laurie has kept the standards of their cues unchanged. (I currently have 5 from 1990 - 1996)

3) Ricard Black (Texas) - He got in to cue making on a fluke. His dedication for perfection is second to nobody. He makes very functional pieces of art that play phenomenal. For a former Investment broker he has made his work an art form. (I own 1)

4) Chris Nitti (Orlando) - He spent many years developing his skills and in the last 10 or so years has became one of the best cue makers anywhere. He does all of his work by hand (even uses and old hand operated pantograph and razor blade to cut his razor sharp inlays). The playability of the newer Nitti cues rivals Southwest in balance and hit.(I own one of the most complex cues he has ever made from my design and 1 1/2 years of work - In the 3rd Edition Billiard Encyclopedia)

5) Joss West - Stroud has been one of the top cue makers since the 1970's and like good wine he has only became better throughout the years. His cues are great playing cues from the cheapest to the elaborate the hit never changes. (I have 2)

6) Tad - (California) I had to add a sixth because Tad is another innovator that has developed methods that are now standard use by the majority of newer cue makers throughout the country (and most don't even know it). Owning at least one Tad cue is a must for any true collector. They also are great playing cues for any pocket table game. (I have 2).

I love cues and admire the work it takes to truly become a master at the art. There are pics of some of my cues on here from some years back. But I should actually get out and take pics of most of my collection. I have cues made by 90% of all of the cue makers mentioned in this thread and have owned so many more throughout the years that I can't begin to remember them all.

God Bless and shoot with what feels good in your hand. Because there are so many great cue makers climbing the ladder that it is not hard tom find a truly great cue for a couple thousand dollars made by any of 50+ dedicated people in the business. Over the years I have been blessed with being able to spend a little time in over 50 cue makers shops around the nation and all of them are great people that are willing to share a little bit of their knowledge and some tales (some tall) with you.

Hate to burst your delicate bubble, Richard Black has some of the worst inlay work I've EVER seen in cues bar none.

There are more than a few on here who have million dollar plus collections.
Jason

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were buying today at a cost of $3000 and under

in no particular order,these are as good as it gets

Vigus, Runde,Drexler,Rauenzahn,and Bob Owen

not that these guys don't make expensive cues way up in price

but for $1000 they will still make you a nice cue

plus I have a cue or more on order from each of these guys

Rauenzahn is contemplating retirement,Runde is also talking retirement
so it might be the time to call

Vigus is a hobbyist who has tons of talent and is not taking orders,
Drexler can make anything from basic player to quadruple fancy

Bob Owen makes some of the nicest cues in the world,they play great
and he is double dependable.

you can get a treasure from him within a reasonable time frame

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Ginacue, Tad, Southwest, Szam, and the guy who came up with the black shaft completing the all black cue.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A top 5 list is so subjective. It would almost be easier to break down to top 5 in certain categories such as retired, active, pure players, full splice......
There is just so much talent!
I would say for sure Schick, Hercek, Szamboti, Manzino, Haley, Tascarella, Balabushka, Mottey, JMW, Southwest, Bill Stroud, Searing. Is that 5 yet??? :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't bore you with pics of the cues that Bob & Jerry made for me since I've posted photos before.
For what it's worth, the greatest compliment a customer can pay to a cue-maker is repeat business.

Well, both of those fellows. aside from being just great people, are reliable and very highly talented
cue-makers. The cues they made for me not only look exquisite but play great and I'm really finicky.

There are cue-makers that will charge you more but on a dollar to dollar comparison on the final price
you'll pay to have a custom cue made, Bob & Jerry lead the pack for greatest value and satisfaction.

I've had four custom cues built by these guys and I never experienced any hassles, disappointments,
was apprised about my cue build and all four cues were finished as forecasted and shipped on time.

So in summary, Bob & Jerry are great people to do business with, trustworthy, great craftsman, are as
reliable as tomorrow's sunrise, really priced very fairly & have a track record for customer satisfaction.

If you order a cue from someone else and experience problems or become aggravated, I hope you
don't reflect back on Dean's advice with some measure of regret. I followed his advice & it was great.

Matt B.