Who remember old school player Bob Ogburn and how well did he play?

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My good friend Bob Ogburn , aka Black Bart, was to my memory, a terrific player and deserves some some recognition. Who on here remember him and how well did he play. I know some players in the Hall of Fame didn't get there playing him. He is in his 70's and still playing.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Seigel was on the road with Bob for sometime. Bob played as good of 9 ball as could be played. There's a vid out from a tourny where Bob was playing Jim Rempe in a race to eleven,,,King James liked none of it,,Bob just kept running out. He was born and raised in a Danville Virginia about 30 miles from where I live now,,Lets add this to it
Allen Hopkins once stated Bob, on the Big snooker table was the best Snooker Player living in the United States,,that is how Great Bob is and once was,,Tell him Chip Roberson says hello..Hats Off to him Sir..:thumbup:

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Seigel was on the road with Bob for sometime. Bob played as good of 9 ball as could be played. There's a vid out from a tourny where Bob was playing Jim Rempe in a race to eleven,,,King James liked none of it,,Bob just kept running out. He was born and raised in a Danville Virginia about 30 miles from where I live now,,Lets add this to it
Allen Hopkins once stated Bob, on the Big snooker table was the best Snooker Player living in the United States,,that is how Great Bob is and once was,,Tell him Chip Roberson says hello..Hats Off to him Sir..:thumbup:

Hi Cjip. I will pass your message along to Bob. He sounds good when we call and he still plays but not as much as before. He will get a kick out of Earls and Allen's statements. By the way, I am from Lynchburg so I know who you are.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Cjip. I will pass your message along to Bob. He sounds good when we call and he still plays but not as much as before. He will get a kick out of Earls and Allen's statements. By the way, I am from Lynchburg so I know who you are.

And Giles darr....got a update on that va mountain man, please?

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the late 70's,I was running the road with Jim Heldreth for a short while. We ran into Bob in Balitmore and he invited us with him ,to meet up, with Jim Rempe and Mike Segial at a local room where they were practicing for an upcoming Straight Pool Championship. Mr. Ogburn was always well received and admired by the greatest players
of his day...
Giles Darr,,hadn't heard that name in years,,great player as well,,back about 10 years ago I thought I'd try and see if I could get back in stroke again,,I ran the first 5 racks in the session but didn't get there--something said about being away from the game and then coming back to play someone who never layed off,,Mountain Man ,,He was a good bar table player,,he was on the road with one of my old time road partners Tim Daniels,,another great road warrior..Thinking Mt Man Passed away a few years ago. Good Gent

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Bob was known to fly under the radar.
I watched him play on Propoolvideo.com many years ago and I could not believe he played so good. About five years ago he was on a stream and once again Bob would rarely miss a ball.

Propoolvideo.com seems to have disappeared at least for now. Sparky Ferrell also had matches on about the same time that were recorded on the same web site and he also was crazy good....at times.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Ogburn and Silais Carter were on the road together ( They Both Grew up in Danville) in Chicago back in late 60's and broke a Poolhall while there,,broke it so bad , they won the room. What the word was that, they took the cash and decided it would be better to just leave and not press the issue. Have heard many who knew Bob when he was young,,that he was also one of the Best Baseball players around his area , when growing up

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My good friend Bob Ogburn , aka Black Bart, was to my memory, a terrific player and deserves some some recognition. Who on here remember him and how well did he play. I know some players in the Hall of Fame didn't get there playing him. He is in his 70's and still playing.
I have known him for now that I do the math about 45 years. It would be hard to exaggerate how good he played. Someone mentioned he was a top snooker player. would say they probably meant a top golf player on the snooker table.

He played sort of like Buddy Hall in that he was not fast or fancy. Got down on the ball and when he was dialed in made everything and could do anything he wanted. I think one of the interesting things about him was he never practiced. You never saw him on a table doing drills of working on things.

I am sure there must have been a time when he did practice but for the most part he would just match up and play. I guess the game came easy to him. He was really a solid player. You had no worries with him playing with your money. Also another of those old time players who could play for days at a time.

I would be remiss to not mention he is also one of the nicest guys I ever met around pool. I think it is important to mention that because he lived in a world were it was sometimes not easy to keep that better part of yourself.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When I first heard of him, he was mistakenly known as Bob Osborne.

Bob was playing snooker at the Rack once in Detroit with an old cue ball
that was small and light...he over-drew it once again right into a side pocket...
..he picked it up and took it to the counter...he said "I'm tired of this
faggot cue ball, all it wants to do is draw....give me one I can follow with."

Bob won one of the Mizerak Senior tournaments in Florida...he immediately
fired the winnings at a one-pocket match.

I asked him once what was the most he ever played for....
..he said "Never enough."

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob is quite a guy

Still plays great, I seen him and Grady get in a fistfight as they were co-producing a senior event in Southern Florida about 6 or 7 years ago, Big Bob knocked Grady thru the wall and out for the count.

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still plays great, I seen him and Grady get in a fistfight as they were co-producing a senior event in Southern Florida about 6 or 7 years ago, Big Bob knocked Grady thru the wall and out for the count.

I wasn't there for the fight but Bob was keeping me posted about the problem he was having with Grady. I think they were both sorry for what happened in the end. Bob is great guy and a good and trusted friend.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please tell Bob ole Toupee says Hi. We go back to the 60's when I was running around with Jimmy Reid. Jimmy was already a damn good player but Bob taught us a lesson. Jimmy was stubborn and Bob had to bust him at 9-Ball and One Pocket. I pulled up after the 9-Ball, I had seen enough.

Bob is one of the best road men I ever met and I'm not talking about ability wise. He was just a damn good guy who never gave anybody any trouble, and he had to put up with a lot of nonsense in his life. He was smart. He knew he was going to get the money eventually if they just kept playing.

Bob had that down home Southern humor, a man of few words delivered in a slow drawl. Sorry I didn't see more of him but we mostly stayed on two separate coasts. I'm glad to hear he's doing okay. We're all dinosaurs now and just the other day we were Kings! :smile:

And Giles darr....got an update on that va mountain man, please?
I’m great friends with Giles we used to play set together all the time !!! He’s still living in front royal !!! He will be at my cookout in July!! I know it’s a old post but you should really check out the new pool room in front royal “ on cue” they just changed location

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I’m great friends with Giles we used to play set together all the time !!! He’s still living in front royal !!! He will be at my cookout in July!! I know it’s a old post but you should really check out the new pool room in front royal “ on cue” they just changed location
Did Mountain man ever live in TN? Seems like the correct speed for a guy I played there probably at least 15 years ago, he was hanging out with another real strong player

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there...thanks for the reply.

I'd love to hear the man speak of his pool exploits. Any chance you can get him talking?

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Mountain man ever live in TN? Seems like the correct speed for a guy I played there probably at least 15 years ago, he was hanging out with another real strong player
I remember a player from TN that they called Mountain man. A very good player. I have no idea if it’s the same guy or not.