Whos the best playing instructor?

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got into the martial arts as a result of getting stabbed twice one night, robbed and nearly killed. At that point in my life (23 years old) I had already been stuck up at gun point 3 times so I knew the "world" could be a dangerous place.

I ran CJ's Billiard Palace and Carsons LIVE for 19 years and took part in breaking up probably 20-30 fights of different magnitudes. I'm not sure how, but I never got hit and got through that part of my life unscathed, even though I had to "subdue" a few people in different ways.

Martial Arts taught me a lot about the body and how it moves and coordinates through weapons movements. Pool, to me is like a martial arts form and I am more particular than many instuctors about feet position, arm/shoulder/wrist positions and how to set them properly in the pre shot routine.

I have a "connection calibration" technique that is directly from martial arts to make sure every part of your body connects to the "Line of the Shot". My objective as a player is to become a pool playing machine and to do this it requires an educated understanding of body mechanics.

This is one part of pool thats much better now compared to the 70's and 80's. One guy I use to run with seemed to like the worst dives in a state to gamble at. Back then bars was where the gambling was. A certain part of Chattonooga was famous for robbing pool players.

TheThaiger

Banned
I got into the martial arts as a result of getting stabbed twice one night, robbed and nearly killed. At that point in my life (23 years old) I had already been stuck up at gun point 3 times so I knew the "world" could be a dangerous place.

I ran CJ's Billiard Palace and Carsons LIVE for 19 years and took part in breaking up probably 20-30 fights of different magnitudes. I'm not sure how, but I never got hit and got through that part of my life unscathed, even though I had to "subdue" a few people in different ways.

Martial Arts taught me a lot about the body and how it moves and coordinates through weapons movements. Pool, to me is like a martial arts form and I am more particular than many instuctors about feet position, arm/shoulder/wrist positions and how to set them properly in the pre shot routine.

I have a "connection calibration" technique that is directly from martial arts to make sure every part of your body connects to the "Line of the Shot". My objective as a player is to become a pool playing machine and to do this it requires an educated understanding of body mechanics.

Did you get stabbed twice in one night in two separate incidents? :eek:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Conspicuous by their absence on this thread: instructors.

I would think that a great instructor would be past his prime as a player.
Looking backwards can be an illuminating experience.

And some people aren't mean enough to be great players but may have
great insights.

I learned a lot from an ex-boxer who I could give serious weight to...
...also a WW2 vet who trained troops and was an Olympic caliber athlete
but didn't play pool at a high level.
I have also over-heard a man give an excellent lesson to an APA 2.....
..I was surprised to find he was an APA 5.

We all see things from different angles, someone else's perspective can
be valuable. I doubt that Tiger's swing coach can beat him, but Tiger
may very well need him.

If Stephen Hawking had something to say about my game....
...I would be all ears.

regards
pt....loves arguing with Thaiger:)

TheThaiger

Banned
I would think that a great instructor would be past his prime as a player.
Looking backwards can be an illuminating experience.

And some people aren't mean enough to be great players but may have
great insights.

I learned a lot from an ex-boxer who I could give serious weight to...
...also a WW2 vet who trained troops and was an Olympic caliber athlete
but didn't play pool at a high level.
I have also over-heard a man give an excellent lesson to an APA 2.....
..I was surprised to find he was an APA 5.

We all see things from different angles, someone else's perspective can
be valuable. I doubt that Tiger's swing coach can beat him, but Tiger
may very well need him.

If Stephen Hawking had something to say about my game....
...I would be all ears.

regards
pt....loves arguing with Thaiger:)

To paraphrase Margret Thatcher (christ!), arguing with you is like being mauled by a dead sheep.

You're too nice for argument. :smile:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

--------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your candid and very visual response, CJ.

My immediate reaction: *this* is a movie waiting to happen! Solid beginning, middle, and end (ongoing to the present time) ready to be fleshed out. Any of the mini-majors' marketing teams would recognize that the Action-genre audience demographics for your true story are perfect. And it's got that elusive "inspirational" quality woven right into it.

Arnaldo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
To paraphrase Margret Thatcher (christ!), arguing with you is like being mauled by a dead sheep.

You're too nice for argument. :smile:

Too nice?..you should have seen me in action..I enjoyed the 'game-making'
as much as the 'game' and felt it was my duty to make my royal flush look
like a pair of deuces....and I'd put my grandmother on 3 fouls.

But on this forum I feel that all arguments should be a mutual search....
...otherwise 'words' become mere 'weapons' and nobody gets any value.

regards
pt...who had many ancestors that were...."Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred
...strong in the back and weak in the head."

Dead sheep?:eek:...that was baaaaad

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Conspicuous by their absence on this thread: instructors.

Maybe that's because the real instructors know how ignorant comparing playing ability to teaching is. Yes, you have to play at a decent level, but be a champion? Only an ignoramus believes that. CJ himself said how much his game came down by teaching. So, if you just want someone that plays great, odds are they won't be a decent teacher. But, there are a few notable exceptions.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your so correct Neil about both.........

Maybe that's because the real instructors know how ignorant comparing playing ability to teaching is. Yes, you have to play at a decent level, but be a champion? Only an ignoramus believes that. CJ himself said how much his game came down by teaching. So, if you just want someone that plays great, odds are they won't be a decent teacher. But, there are a few notable exceptions.

There are so many great instructors everywhere I go. And many of these instructors have been on the brink or really close to playing on a really high level some time in their life. Once your there you don't lose the knowledge that got you there

Just because that teacher isn't playing great right now doesn't mean he can't help you. There are so many silent monsters around the country. Many don't play as well now but when they have decided to teach and give back to the game full time a player can look at this as a real treat.

To me this is a huge help when teaching at a higher level.

Could most teachers give a lesson to a Warren C , Rodney M or a Johnny A. and feel good about what they can contribute to their game.

Probably not. And maybe they could. I'm not sure?

But these teachers are out there slugging away helping players everywhere improve their games like a spring board to get them to a higher level.

Are all teachers equal. No.

But sometimes it's nice to just know the teacher your learning from can get it done.

On the second part. My first year on the road teaching I was in Memphis Tenn. at Bill Rowseys poolhall in South Haven and he made a statement to me.

I don't know how you keep your game at a higher level and teach too. That's got to be tough.

Little did Bill know how hard I worked to try and keep it up. At that time I was playing about a whole ball below my level for sure and somedays I felt like I couldn't even play.

It's really hard to keep your game up in the smoking states for me because I really don't want to hang out in the smoke. Even the locals don't want to be there much unless they smoke. Now you just end up teaching and hardly no playing.

It's really hard to decide to practice knowing your eyes and throat are going to burn and your not going to feel good because of it. I don't think anyones really likes this smoke situation.

I found myself not ready at all to play in these tournaments over the last 5 months while on the road teaching. It's like i need to get through about 3 matches to feel like I'm kind of in stroke. I might hit a gear for awhile but the long term focus just isn't there.

The teaching and the playing is really hard to manage for sure. I really don't think there is a happy median here either. If your going to teach and play you just have to do the best you can do when you play knowing that your level of play isn't there.

We play because we love the game.

I think what would be really tough is to teach only and not play at all.

We all need to have a little fun.

I'm going to have a little fun tonight in a little 9 ball tourny at Hawleys billiards in North Dallas.

You know what they say about all work and no play:rolleyes::grin-square:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know in my "heart of hearts" that if I had NOT been stabbed that night

Did you get stabbed twice in one night in two separate incidents? :eek:

It was twice in one night, once in the head and once in the stomach. I tell the story for the first time publically on my new DVD. The point I'm making is that even though it was a tragic event and it nearly killed me (the doctor said an eighth of an inch on either wound would have been fatal), it was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

I'm sure you can relate, when something really threatens our lives we take life more seriously, at least in that "area". For me it was martial arts. Once I healed up and could move around again I searched many martial arts schools here in Dallas and finally found the right one for me. {I'm with the same Instructor 24 years later}

It was Shaolin, but taught 7 other styles, and what I need most of all was discipline, being a "road player" I lacked that and knew I needed "it". This school was like military training and I devoted myself to it like it was water to a thirsty man.

I know in my "heart of hearts" that if I had NOT been stabbed that night I would not have devoted myself to that training and my life would not be the same and I would never have reached the levels in Pool and Business that I did. And for that I'm grateful. 'The Game is the Teacher'

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are so many great instructors everywhere I go. And many of these instructors have been on the brink or really close to playing on a really high level some time in their life. Once your there you don't lose the knowledge that got you there

Just because that teacher isn't playing great right now doesn't mean he can't help you. There are so many silent monsters around the country. Many don't play as well now but when they have decided to teach and give back to the game full time a player can look at this as a real treat.

To me this is a huge help when teaching at a higher level.

Could most teachers give a lesson to a Warren C , Rodney M or a Johnny A. and feel good about what they can contribute to their game.

Probably not. And maybe they could. I'm not sure?

But these teachers are out there slugging away helping players everywhere improve their games like a spring board to get them to a higher level.

Are all teachers equal. No.

But sometimes it's nice to just know the teacher your learning from can get it done.

On the second part. My first year on the road teaching I was in Memphis Tenn. at Bill Rowseys poolhall in South Haven and he made a statement to me.

I don't know how you keep your game at a higher level and teach too. That's got to be tough.

Little did Bill know how hard I worked to try and keep it up. At that time I was playing about a whole ball below my level for sure and somedays I felt like I couldn't even play.

It's really hard to keep your game up in the smoking states for me because I really don't want to hang out in the smoke. Even the locals don't want to be there much unless they smoke. Now you just end up teaching and hardly no playing.

It's really hard to decide to practice knowing your eyes and throat are going to burn and your not going to feel good because of it. I don't think anyones really likes this smoke situation.

I found myself not ready at all to play in these tournaments over the last 5 months while on the road teaching. It's like i need to get through about 3 matches to feel like I'm kind of in stroke. I might hit a gear for awhile but the long term focus just isn't there.

The teaching and the playing is really hard to manage for sure. I really don't think there is a happy median here either. If your going to teach and play you just have to do the best you can do when you play knowing that your level of play isn't there.

We play because we love the game.

I think what would be really tough is to teach only and not play at all.

We all need to have a little fun.

I'm going to have a little fun tonight in a little 9 ball tourny at Hawleys billiards in North Dallas.

You know what they say about all work and no play:rolleyes::grin-square:

I agree Gene. It would be hard to play your best and do anything else on the side. To play pool at a high level means pool is their number one priority.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have cue, will play... anyone. And teach bikini pool models, I mean bikini models by the pool, or bikini models on an outdoor pool table by the pool... whatever. That's the ultimate test, which instructors team of 5 bikini models will win the title after 1 month of steady training.

Will compete and give lessons. Sounds like fun! 2K? Ok.

I'm all in!

TheThaiger

Banned

And only an ignoramus :)rolleyes:) believes this to anything other than a bit of fun.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the idea of an annual instructors tournament. I think it's vitally important for instructors to play in competition, especially if they're going to train players who compete (which is nearly everyone these days).

I'm a big fan of the instructor who can explain to a player what something actually feels like, whether it's a particular type of shot or dealing with the pressure of competition.

Count me in, as long as it's not too outrageously expensive.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Okay, I'm not the one to do it but how do we do a poll or something to keep track of who is in. Seem's like it is getting serious consideration & is not just a fun idea.

I think a scoth double format with instrutor/pupil teams might be a fun 'competition'.

Making it an annual event as Fran suggested could be a motivation for an instructor to keep his/her playing skills up to par. Maybe the pupil should be one that has just started in that current year to accentuate the teaching aspect. A sworn testimony to that fact might need to be a requirement or maybe that is just a bad idea.

Anyway it seems to be of serious interest.