Why Dennis ORCOLLO walked over Mike D & Nick as if they do not exist?

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious to why Dennis ORCOLLO smashed Mike D & Nick the Greek, and his country men last matches before the final? is he really that good or got lucky? it is unreal!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably a combination of multiple factors, among them:
He's better;
He's been there before;
In a short fomat, there will always be some blow-outs and some nail-biters.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Because he is the Robocop!
There are very few players that can shake-off Dennis.
SVB and the Taiwanese greats are a small group.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
It's just the run of the balls, and how you're playing that day.

Dennis is normally a decent favorite (like 11-8, 11-9) over Dechaine and Ekonomopoulos,
but that day he was just playing extremely well and Nick wasn't (I did not see the match
against Dechaine).

gr. Dave

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Probably right! his record score in the US open, not even threatened

11-3
11-2
11-7
11-5
11-8
lost 11-5 to svb
11-2
11-3
11-4
Lost to SVB at final

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Dennis is normally a decent favorite (like 11-8, 11-9) over Dechaine and Ekonomopoulos,
but that day he was just playing extremely well and Nick wasn't (I did not see the match
against Dechaine).

gr. Dave

He was shooting in the .900's most of the tournament I believe. :eek:
I don't know if they kept stats of the whole tournament , but he had to be over .900 for the whole tournament.
Efren did that at the Bike some 20 years ago.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

against Dechaine).

gr. Dave

That day !!! say that week! year !! he is IMO the most consistent player ever lived!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In short, sustained excellence and experience in the final rounds of the biggest events.

Mark Wilson made frequent mention of fact that Dennis was shooting over ..900 Accu-stats in virtually every match, and would do so again in his Saturday "final four" matches. It would take an incredible performance to beat him, and that's exactly what Shane delivered.

Mike lost only 11-8 in his Thursday match against Dennis, so he probably got Dennis' attention. There would be no sneaking up on him. Dennis, of course, is at a higher level of play than Mike, so the chance for a blowout was always there. Same thing with "Nick the Greek," whose run to the hot seat match was hard to miss.

Mike and Nick had great breakout performances to reach the "final four," but beating a player like Dennis in a US Open Saturday match is a tall order indeed. Dennis has played in the late rounds of big events so many times that he'd be very comfortable in the moment.

Dennis was, more or less, in dead punch all week. He's probably wondering how he walked away without the title.

The better, more experienced payer took down two players whose stars are rising fast. It doesn't always go down that way, but it often does.

Dennis was way out of the league of every player but one in this US Open, and we know who that would be.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In short, sustained excellence and experience in the final rounds of the biggest events.

Mark Wilson made frequent mention of fact that Dennis was shooting over ..900 Accu-stats in virtually every match, and would do so again in his Saturday "final four" matches. It would take an incredible performance to beat him, and that's exactly what Shane delivered.

Mike lost only 11-8 in his Thursday match against Dennis, so he probably got Dennis' attention. There would be no sneaking up on him. Dennis, of course, is at a higher level of play than Mike, so the chance for a blowout was always there. Same thing with "Nick the Greek," whose run to the hot seat match was hard to miss.

Mike and Nick had great breakout performances to reach the "final four," but beating a player like Dennis in a US Open Saturday match is a tall order indeed. Dennis has played in the late rounds of big events so many times that he'd be very comfortable in the moment.

Dennis was, more or less, in dead punch all week. He's probably wondering how he walked away without the title.

The better, more experienced payer took down two players whose stars are rising fast. It doesn't always go down that way, but it often does.

Dennis was way out of the league of every player but one in this US Open, and we know who that would be.

Once again, a very accurate analysis but an astute observer. Dennis may be playing better right now then at any time in his career. I can see a difference in his game and even he admits that he is happy with his game. I watch the way he pockets the balls and controls his cue ball and see only brilliance shot after shot. He makes it look so easy that you may not realize how good he is playing. IMO he is playing at the same ultra high level of play that I've only seen a few times before from a few truly great players.

I think Dennis and Shane both shot in the mid .900's in the final match, which may have been one of the best played final matches ever. They both played brilliantly from start to finish with only one or two errors throughout. ONLY Shane could have beaten Dennis in that match, NO ONE else! JMHO as always. :D

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Same here...

It was such a well played finals that it was pretty amazing. I was glad I bought the final 2 days on ppv.

Same here Metallicafan, besides I was waiting after last year and the year before to see Barry implode after saucing it up...

Jaden

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep! You got it right!

Many players can get it going a play well. but Dennis gets it going all the time, he is always in Robocop mode, he always plays well enough to finish in the top 3 or 4 anywhere in the world and when he gets his break going, your done..., 11-4, 11-5 or worse.

This guy can PLAY!

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't both he and Shane shoot around .955 in the final match??

If so, that's incredible.......

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis is exhausted after a long week of pool. He's out on my deck now. :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited: