Why isn't spalted maple used more in cues?

RedBowTies88

Registered
Sorry to bring back a long dead zombie thread, but here goes:

A few months ago at the billiards expo in valley forge, I came across a nothing-less-than gorgeous spalted maple cue from McDermott. It appeared to be a once piece spalted maple butt with a white wrap and it just looked amazing.

They sell "blemished" McDermott cues there for a killer price, but this one was perfect. Apparently it was a custom ordered cue where the purchaser failed to pay the balance (or something like that) so it ended up on the clearance rack at the show. Unfortunately I had already blown my load on a new Meucci shaft (I know I know, please hold the laughter) and couldn't afford the cue or I would of bought it right then and there.

After I got home, I looked around on their website and saw they they indeed offer it as an option in their custom section. Prices for those seem fairly reasonable and I thought that maybe sometime this year I would order one since I liked it so much.

Therefore this thread has me fairly disheartened. I thought McDermott was a reputable outfit, even though they're not exactly custom cue builders. I'm surprised to learn that if spalted maple is indeed such a poor choice that they would even offer it.

I wonder if maybe they put it though some type of treatment? Or something to mitigate the "rotten" aspect of it. I suppose I could give them a ring and ask, but also perhaps someone here could tell me also.

Thanks,
Beech.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only McDermott can tell you for sure if the spalted maple in their cues is treated. The answer, though, is probably yes.

Typically, woods like spalted maple or somewhat fragile burls are resin impregnated. The woods are cooked under pressure with an acrylic type resin. The process forces the resin into the wood which strengthens it and makes it heavier. The treated woods are also (typically) cored when the cue is built.

Some cue makers will use a treated wood like spalted maple, some won't.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He has yet to find out just what it is that causes the fiddleback, tiger-stripe, or more commonly referred to, curly effect

The striping is supposedly caused by the tree bending/swaying from the strong winds.

This is also what was once told to me by a very experienced woodsmith/cabinet maker. He said that you will usually find the heavier curled maples, along road frontage, fence rows, outside edges of the woods, etc. Apparently the curl results, as the tree is growing, and twisting in the wind/s. :cool:
j2

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
the given scientific community has no distinctive stance and there has been research done on what causes figures in maple.....

nothing points conclusively to things like hill sides, wind, bacteria or fungus......

and not like ive tested every wood of course but being that spalted wood is created by decomposition.....then you could technically spalt any wood....

tho of course some oily woods are better resistant to rot because of density and oils and such that mold fungus and bacteria are phobic of in simple terms.

oak spalts pretty as well....i been spalting the stuff since i was a young boy making canes.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, there sure are a lot of opinions, many of which make no reference to basic logic prior to, or during their formation. First, spalting is caused by a fungus that gets into either dead trees or those that have been severely stressed. The staining occurs along the edges of the infestation. Some woods spalt very nicely, others not at all.Because of its porosity and decay impregnationis a must if you're going to use it in cues. I have seen some really spectacular bowls turned with untreated wood.
McDermott knows all there is to know about making cues and they are not going to do anything that would tarnish their reputation.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have built a few cues with spalted maple and have more in the works and even more planned. I did stabilize them myself and cored them for use. My son's cue was done from a maple in our front yard. If done right, they look awesome with natures art as only nature can do, and also play awesome.
DSCN1017.jpg

DSCN1019.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have built a few cues with spalted maple and have more in the works and even more planned. I did stabilize them myself and cored them for use. My son's cue was done from a maple in our front yard. If done right, they look awesome with natures art as only nature can do, and also play awesome.
View attachment 427664

View attachment 427665

View attachment 427666

I agree with you Dave. Nothing like nature's art. That is a very slick looking cue. Stunning wood. Very nice work. :cool:

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about spalted Hackberry. I make calls with it, of course stabilized. It can have some awesome figure. One of my calls... keep in mind the barrel is about 1 1/2" long.
5-3_zpsdfba51b6.jpg

beleary

"No Masse!"
Here is an example of a Richard Pettit spalted maple that I recently acquired. The cue is absolutely gorgeous and hits great.

Attachments

• Richard Pettit Spalted Cue.jpg
    Richard Pettit Spalted Cue.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 477

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Well ... spalted maple is basically wood that has rotted to some degree.
If treated and cored I guess it can be turned to a nice cue.
I have made some nice looking pens using it but never a cue.
Personally I would prefer solid maple for my player cue.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is just fine

If stablized and cored it makes a great cue.
It will play just a bit softer than whatever you use to core it with and some of it looks great.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spalted woods can be used in forearms, handles or butts if it is properly stabilized and cored.

The core will determine the strength of the cue and the hit.

And no, I am not ignoring the part the shaft plays just stating that the cored butt also has value for hit.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Spalted flecks, on a maple forearm
Blue, green, brown, maple veneers
No wrap. Long wood pilot. Steel pin
Brass joint. White butt ring. No logo

This cue looks like an old Hoppe I played with in the late 50's
Would anyone have a clue as to the cue maker... or the age?

image.jpgimage.jpeg

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lots of spalted woods are used in very high end basses and is very sought after. I'm sure if the wood was rotten in any way that it would effect tonal qualities and not be used in an instrument. For a cue I would think it's fine.

skjold_ec4_spbw_top.jpg

The wood you see on the top off a lot of guitar bodies is just a thin veneer. So the strength of the wood is not as important as the look. Just like when coring cues. I would definitely core spalted maple.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Spalted flecks, on a maple forearm
Blue, green, brown, maple veneers
No wrap. Long wood pilot. Steel pin
Brass joint. White butt ring. No logo

This cue looks like an old Hoppe I played with in the late 50's
Would anyone have a clue as to the cue maker... or the age?

View attachment 514737View attachment 514736

Edit: The cue has a brass pin, not steel as posted. I found some
pics with the same veneers, joint and a white ring. It looks like it
may be an old Hoppe but all pics have a wrap and not wrapless.

Did Brunswick make a wrapless Hoppe or make other cues using that long wood pilot.

Last edited:

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
This is a very old thread but still relevant.

As a buyer not a cuemaker I definitely agree with Willie. This was started in 2006 and as with a lot of different burl , spalted wood that has been stabilized is easy er to buy and companys you can use to have it stabilized are easyer to use and more accessible via the Internet. Not to mention you can also do your own now. I could be wrong but I don't remember many (if any) spalted or burled cues in the 80' or 90's.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Chuck made me a full 1 piece butt spalted maple cue

At 14 ounces and the specs i gave for a carom cue its the best carom cue ive ever used
Suits me the best

Its in the avatr but is pretty nice, shimmery

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just check out Bob Owen’s amazing work..........spalted wood is one of his specialties....several in the Cue Gallery.