Attachments

• Screenshot_20200407-113411.jpg
    Screenshot_20200407-113411.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 208

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Page 1...

Not sure that really proves the point you are going for, a bunch of old threads on page one, with the majority being for sale threads and over 2 years old all the way down to 5 years old(and that's PAGE 1).

And that means Page 2 of your search will be threads 5+ years old, and likely someone will complain when he bumps an old thread, which happens to me constantly.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure that really proves the point you are going for, a bunch of old threads on page one, with the majority being for sale threads and over 2 years old all the way down to 5 years old(and that's PAGE 1).

And that means Page 2 of your search will be threads 5+ years old, and likely someone will complain when he bumps an old thread, which happens to me constantly.

My cup runner over.

I'll keep an eye out for you too.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

It provided nothing other than a free "bump" to this thread.
Leave the aggravation to him, alone. It's his baggage to carry.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It provided nothing other than a free "bump" to this thread.
Leave the aggravation to him, alone. It's his baggage to carry.

Agreed. He shoulda just let it go.

Chief is likely to receive similar responses, as long as he continues his inability to let it go.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before the High Archy comes down I checked the search first and only seem to find thread's about selling these. I see them for sale on ebay and they seem to sell pretty high most of the time and certain examples with Braz rosewood and the like go pretty expensive to say the least. What is it about these Cues that make them worth that much other than they are hard to find. Is it a Collectors thing or do these Cues actually play decent. One would have to wonder that in todays world there is far better hitting cues then one from the 1940's -1960's . Do these Hoppe Cues play that well , or do people just collect them and never play with them and just display them in their collection. I would say that they are also bought and converted with a better shaft and then the game would change I would say. But trying to figure out what makes these cues worth the money. I have seen some nice ones on ebay in the 4-500 range.

A cue only plays decent if it has a good shaft the player can play with. The butt is just a holder for the shaft. It affect the feel and balance of the cue. Anything about "playing good" is just opinion of the player using it. Anything about the shaft performance is science. Nothing really makes any cues more desirable other than marketing or history like fancy cars or jewelry. If Rolls Royce or Bently had to compete on their reliability or usability as cars they would be selling for as much as any Toyota. Same with cues like these old ones. Why are early Ferrari cars so wanted? Is it because they get 40 mpg and are easy to drive? Nope, because they are rare and cool and people want to own that.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRJ

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I think a lot of people are missing the boat when they have the opportunity to snag some old house Cues. Several years ago I had the chance to snag a House Cue someone broke by accident. The first 5 or 6 inches were broken what a person forgot not to step on the Cue. Apprently he was using it to break, and placed it on the floor.

Long and short it was converted with a NEW SHAFT into a Sneeky Pete, the Orginal Cue was maybe 40-50 year old. The Rings in the Wood was tight, and you might use the term it was. OLD GROWTH WOOD.

I personally love Titlist Conversions because most of these Cues were made 40+ years ago. We use to have a Member here on AZB who went by TitlistSucker, he had a collection off Titlist Conversion that always made me drool.

HIT antique shops, many time they have old house cues, or old one piece Titlists, or Butterful Cues from the 1940's or earlier they sell as decorative items. CHEAP.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just noticed you can't click the links on a screenshot.

I'll get you some links, chief.

Hoss , You are never cease to amaze me Boy ! I Appreciate your contributions and I thank you ! Your typing say's no but your Heart say's Yes , You Care, You Really Care !! It Just Warms the Heart to know that there is still People like you who take the extra time to do what you do , Spreading Sunshine ! Spread a little Sunshine everyday , A little bit of Sunshine along the way !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the Color of the Veneers in these cues , the green and brown really set them off

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I was lucky to stumble on mine and its case at an estate sale. I intend to keep them as they are.

Attachments

• Brunswick Expert Case.jpg
    Brunswick Expert Case.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 89
  • WHP Point.jpg
    WHP Point.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 92
  • W H P Label.jpg
    W H P Label.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 90

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love my completely restored 1940's Hoppe with an OB shaft. Old world meets new tech, what's not to like. Thing is 80 years old and straight as an arrow. And it looks cool to boot.

It's like having a 1953 Corvette. Sure, the newer models are faster, handle better, and more amenities , but there is something cool about the original :) And folks have just as much fun driving the 53 around town and to car shows ;)
This is a great comparison.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I was lucky to stumble on mine and its case at an estate sale. I intend to keep them as they are.

Great find! I lucked into mine as well. It is in great shape and the veneers are still bright. I am currently just displaying it. I've thought about a converting it, but I would prefer a purpleheart Titlist for that.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I would much rather have a collection of Vettes than Hoppe cues. I can afford collecting old Hoppes though. Corvettes are just North of my wallet.

I have a vintage 10 cue Brunswick cue rack, that came from the Northeast. My plan is to get it full of Professionals.
There are a few Master Strokes in the rack now with the WH cues. Every time I luck into another Titlist two piece cue I put in the rack and take a Master Stroke out.

Not sure if I will ever fill it with Hoppes or not as they are bringing more now than when I started collecting them a few years ago.

Cuebuddy>>>Loves the Master Strokes too.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if its an old house cue convert it. if its a nice old two piece just have a shaft made for it. the butt will be thicker than you are used to but you will get used to it and wont ruin the cue. you can always convert it later on an use the shaft you had made.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
"Flooded'???? Hardly. Just checked and there about twelve and some were conversions. I doubt B'wick made millions of them either.
Tho not specifically hoppes…

In 1906 Brunswick open a 100k sf plant in Muskegon, Michigan. And was pumping out 400k cues a year and had enough reserve wood drying in lions to make an additional 600k cues.

At one point their entire operations power was fueled by the saw dust they generated. (Possibly one of the first “green” operations or at least a no waste left wasted operation)

They had more pool halls in chichago at one point in time than we have in the country presently.

They did make the hoppe for a long time, if one cares to lump it in with the Titlist then the idea of millions is probably not a stretch imop.