Willie Mosconi - The Basement Tapes

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the name tags.

I was at one of his exhibitions and afterward we were talking and a couple of guys came over and asked him what he was doing in the morning. They offered him a $1000.00 for about an hour if he would come to the clubhouse at their condo.

Probably something like is in the video on youtube. He had to turn it down because he had a commitment and was leaving town but said he would have loved to have done it.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure, but I like it..., thanks for the video..:)

It may be a Helmstetter. That was what I saw him with about that time. Without knowing when that was made, it looks kind of near the end of his life. I see his wife Flora standing around in there also.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Great video, a quick look into window of the past. One of the greats in a semi candid spot.....awesome, thanks.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I am wondering if any of the folks that are in this video may be members, at about the 16 minute mark is a guy who I think I know:cool:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Here's the first upload of it in May 2012,by Dennis (thx from all of us, pal) almost exactly 3 years ago (I knew it was a rare keeper so I bookmarked it then, and also downloaded the YT vid to a file and burned a personal DVD as a backup as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHqM3pjuGk&feature=plcp

Arnaldo

Oops. I didn't realize I had already uploaded it on youtube. I knew I had uploaded it previously, but I thought it was on vimeo or somewhere else. Sorry for the double upload.

I obtained it from Rolando Aravena years ago. He was working at Amsterdam Billiards at the time and had the best collection of 14.1 that I had ever heard of. He was a referee that you see in a lot of old videos. See if you can recognize him from this picture. I believe he is working somewhere in Florida now and has a straight pool league in his room.

I gave a copy of this to George Fels and he wrote about it in his column since it was a rare look at Mosconi.

Attachments

• rolando.jpg
    rolando.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Oops. I didn't realize I had already uploaded it on youtube. I knew I had uploaded it previously, but I thought it was on vimeo or somewhere else. Sorry for the double upload.

I obtained it from Rolando Aravena years ago. He was working at Amsterdam Billiards at the time and had the best collection of 14.1 that I had ever heard of. He was a referee that you see in a lot of old videos. I believe he is working somewhere in Florida now and has a straight pool league in his room.

I gave a copy of this to George Fels and he wrote about it in his column since it was a rare look at Mosconi.

You mention of George Fels lead me to go to Billiards Digest and read some of George's old (and more recent) Tips and Shafts columns. What a treat. I recommend everyone do the same.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member

Thanks for uploading it. Willie says the high run record is 609 and also that it wasn't a miss he quit at 526. Interesting.