Woodward Attitude?

mmktierney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Sky at a tournament in Lincoln City , Oregon....he was very polite and easy to talk to....others like Mike D, Mika....not so much

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Sure, like I said - Mika can be an a55 at times and the vid proves it perfectly :D:D:D My approach would be handing the chalk to my opponent just like you mentioned to let him know that I dont want his chalk to stay on the rail when I shoot.

Imagine, pro players of any sport getting a little testy when they compete at the highest levels. Much ado about nothing really. I don't know how many NFL players were suspended last week for trying to kill each other, but hey, someone tried the old "hidden chalk" move on a someone, someone call a cop ;)

Now, had he thrown the chalk at his opponent, then NOT COOL. I've seen that a few times in league.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YOUR chalk belongs on the table when YOU shoot. By your logic I can place a powder, tip scuffer and a burnisher on the rail when my inning ends to annoy my opponent. Have fun with that :cool: :eek:

If YOU have chalk YOU care about that EYE cannot use....maybe.

When EYE play at a place that provides chalk for its patrons, I think it is appropriate to leave it on the table, where it belongs.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine, pro players of any sport getting a little testy when they compete at the highest levels. Much ado about nothing really. I don't know how many NFL players were suspended last week for trying to kill each other, but hey, someone tried the old "hidden chalk" move on a someone, someone call a cop ;)

Now, had he thrown the chalk at his opponent, then NOT COOL. I've seen that a few times in league.

If my opponent got lucky to find my chalk on the rail when he was shooting AND did what Mika did I would get a good laugh out of it :grin: I have experienced MUCH worse behaviour from my opponents during my pool-playing career :D

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I saw Sky play recently and his attitude both on and off the table rubbed me the wrong way.

I've heard from some other pros that Sky's head has gotten too big over this past 1-2 years and I can see it. Kind of sucks because he's a great player but watching him play and noticing his attitude I lost respect for him.

Also, in case anybody wants to make a "Well, then play him for money" post - I'm not saying I can beat him, he's a great player, I'm talking about his attitude because he seemed cocky and was whining when he was losing.

Every time I read someone complain about a player's attitude, I think about all the attacks Muhammad Ali got when he changed his name, converted to Islam and refused to serve in Vietnam.

Other professionals have started hating on Sky... People, in general, are prone to hate! As long as Sky is happy with himself and winning, that's really all that matters.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If YOU have chalk YOU care about that EYE cannot use....maybe.

When EYE play at a place that provides chalk for its patrons, I think it is appropriate to leave it on the table, where it belongs.

Ah thats the difference - I always use my own equipment as well as my opponents (and which was certainly the case with Mika and Corey in the vid) ;) If I used the equipment provided by the place then it would be totally different story and it would be rude to take the chalk off the rail :thumbup:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Sometimes confidence can be mistaken for arrogance. As far as other pro players, there could be a bit of jealousy involved. I have had the privilege to see Sky play a number of times and have played him in a tournament before. I would give him the benefit of the doubt concerning losing respect and then posting it about it. He has given a lot back to the game concerning his work with juniors.

There is an old saying, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." These players don't become top players without losing affecting them greatly. Should they lose with class and respect? Yes because it's the right thing to do but also it could hurt their brand when it comes to sponsorship and other opportunities. But, generally I'll give them a pass unless I've seen the behavior over a period of time.

Great post. I Hope all's well!
See you at Shooters!
Will Prout

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know of one other player who would have done something like that, try to hide Corey's chalk from him. I've seen players in similar situations either hand the chalk to their opponent or just set it on the table where they're sitting.

And when Corey ask about his chalk, Mika helps him search like he doesn't know what happened to it. lol What a brat.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I don't know of one other player who would have done something like that, try to hide Corey's chalk from him. I've seen players in similar situations either hand the chalk to their opponent or just set it on the table where they're sitting.

Jay,
I totally agree. Mika's "bottom of the birdcage" move is telling and insightful.
In all my years of playing (60) that slippery move would never have even
crossed my mind.....ugly, stupid, odd....

Will Prout

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah thats the difference - I always use my own equipment as well as my opponents (and which was certainly the case with Mika and Corey in the vid) ;) If I used the equipment provided by the place then it would be totally different story and it would be rude to take the chalk off the rail :thumbup:

Sure...i was only taking that position to make point that there are occasions where each choice- leave or take- is correct.
:withstupid:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Mika can be real a55 the fact is that your chalk doesnt belong on the table when your opponent is shooting. So while throwing Coreys chalk under the table is not something I would cheer for Corey had it coming by leaving the chalk on the table when it was Mikas turn.

When your are in a bar or pool hall do you walk around and throw people's chalk under the table?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I've ever shot pool the chalk remains on the table. I don't understand why it is offensive to leave chalk on the table.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
ok that's pretty funny... stupid and childish... but funny.

I like how Corey just stays where he is and Mika goes and finds it, walks back, and goes back to get it for him. But by that time Corey already has another piece and Mika just ends up taking it off the table. haha what a douche

Corey must have used the Jedi mind trick on him.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika's most recent douchebaggery is taking Corey's chalk and throwing it under the table.

Happens at 29:50

https://youtu.be/9jswHs14T68

Indeed.
What's even more nasty of this guy is that for a few moments he pretends to not know where the chalk is.
Then stands up and picks it up.
Good for Corey to let him do it AND then use a different chalk stick after all....hehe

Personally I would love to see no chalk on the table......ever!

I don't like it, it makes my clothes dirty when I stretch over a rail, and you're constantly thrown off your preshot routine because you have to start moving chalk out of the way and organize the table after the last guy.
I sometimes play against people who leave 4 and 5 cubes on there.

Last edited:

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
When your are in a bar or pool hall do you walk around and throw people's chalk under the table?

There’s that video of Mosconi throwing Crandfields piece at him after Babe left it on the table, I thought that was pretty damn funny.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If my opponent got lucky to find my chalk on the rail when he was shooting AND did what Mika did I would get a good laugh out of it :grin: I have experienced MUCH worse behaviour from my opponents during my pool-playing career :D

Exactly, Mika hiding some chalk is such a non issue, it shows bad form for folks to keep bringing it up. I mean, so what.

I get tired of the rubes who turn the chalk upside down. And I keep righting it up. After the 2nd time, I just take it off the table, and put it somewhere else and make him search for chalk the rest of the night.

I know, I know, I'm as bad as Gacy.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly, Mika hiding some chalk is such a non issue, it shows bad form for folks to keep bringing it up. I mean, so what.

I get tired of the rubes who turn the chalk upside down. And I keep righting it up. After the 2nd time, I just take it off the table, and put it somewhere else and make him search for chalk the rest of the night.

I know, I know, I'm as bad as Gacy.

Ain't nobody touching MY Magic Chalk.......lol

Love that thing by the way.

Reactions: KRJ

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And without speaking to this particular case, when one gets used to improving and winning, it can be difficult to have the realization imposed upon him that he won't always be top of the heap.

Face it, losing sucks.
Sometimes confidence can be mistaken for arrogance. As far as other pro players, there could be a bit of jealousy involved. I have had the privilege to see Sky play a number of times and have played him in a tournament before. I would give him the benefit of the doubt concerning losing respect and then posting it about it. He has given a lot back to the game concerning his work with juniors.

There is an old saying, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." These players don't become top players without losing affecting them greatly. Should they lose with class and respect? Yes because it's the right thing to do but also it could hurt their brand when it comes to sponsorship and other opportunities. But, generally I'll give them a pass unless I've seen the behavior over a period of time.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YOUR chalk belongs on the table when YOU shoot. By your logic I can place a powder, tip scuffer and a burnisher on the rail when my inning ends to annoy my opponent. Have fun with that :cool: :eek:

Wait! People have their own chalk? I have always just used whatever was on the table. If I took it back to my chair then my opponent wouldn't have any chalk to use.