WORLD 10 BALL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 Sep 2021), Las Vegas, 9ft, Winner $35K

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big event like this and they're often playing 1 match per day, make it race to 10 or 11.

I'd rather they make it 4 days instead of 5 and keep the races to 8.

-or-

Maybe next year they will expand the field to 96 or 128, and keep the races and days the same.

I agree with you in principle that all matches should be under the same ruleset. However, with pool's limited budget, I think this is good compromise. I never, ever, ever, want to watch a match with no shot clock as a fan.
Limited budget isn’t the issue, the want to do things right, increase engagement and turn around a dying thing in the USA is the problem. Why not have some volunteers run the clocks, give them a year DrillRoom, Salotto or something for helping for 2 matches. Bam problem solved plus you may gain cross engagement for other things trying to help the pool world. It isn’t hard to come up with ideas to do things correctly and for the long term,they may fail…then you come up with new ideas. You don’t half ass if you want real growth. Tournament series failing doesn’t kill pool, pool in America has done nothing but bleed for the last 20 years due to short sighted, short term results oriented thinking. It will eventually bleed to death as all the old people die and there is a smaller and smaller crop of players and fans coming up.

The limited budget is a product of this and other factors that make the pool world extemely undesirable and unprofitable for anyone to come in from the outside in a big way. Not the other way around.

I’d prefer there be shot clocks too, slow play in rotation is unbearable to watch live or after the fact.

Reactions: sjm

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s pretty funny some people think it’s logical to have a shot clock on the stream table but not on the others, effectively two rule sets in play. It does not matter if this is common, done before or logistically hard to do because limited refs or whatever excuse one wants to present.

Two rule sets should never be in play in the same event. Some players like to play fast, some slow, if you are implementing a shot clock in a larger event it should impact every player in the event. Adjusting to the conditions is the players job.
Not to mention when it is a "WPA World Championship".

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough way to go out for Roland. Down 7-4 and he scratches while playing shape on the 9 ball.

Goes ahead and concedes the last two.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mosconi will be IMO:
Shane
Corey
Billy
Oscar
Chris

Sky and maybe 1 or 2 more players (who, IDK) will be there as an alternate if a player tests positive at the event.
Sky has been the MVP of two of the last three Mosconi Cups. He was also the highest American finisher at the 2021 World Pool Championships, tying for fifth. Other than Shane, he's the only American player carrying a Fargo rate of 800. I don't think he's any less deserving of a Mosconi spot than Shane.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Wow, what a great shot Ralf made on the 1 ball in the hill-hill game against Sky.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Naoyuki Oi over Wiktor Zielinski 8-7.

I'm hoping to see Oi and Omar do well from here on out. It's nice to see Ralph in the final 16 too - that's gotta feel great for him.

Gonna be a nice Thursday and Friday. I think it moves to races to 10 single elimination from here, or is that after the last 16?

Edit: 16 player single elimination race to 10.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naoyuki Oi over Wiktor Zielinski 8-7.

I'm hoping to see Oi and Omar do well from here on out. It's nice to see Ralph in the final 16 too - that's gotta feel great for him.

Gonna be a nice Thursday and Friday. I think it moves to races to 10 single elimination from here, or is that after the last 16?

Edit: 16 player single elimination race to 10.
Ralf lost his last match to Tevez 8-1 to miss out on getting to final 16.
I feel the same about Oi and Omar. Both always have a great attitude and play hard. Big fan of both of them.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Ralf lost his last match to Tevez 8-1 to miss out on getting to final 16.
I feel the same about Oi and Omar. Both always have a great attitude and play hard. Big fan of both of them.
Ah man, I missed that about Ralf - thanks for letting me know. I thought his last match was against Sky for the day. Great run for him at this stage of his career.

Definitely agreed about Omar and Oi.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it's quite a strange way to progress from stage 1 to stage 2 used by organizers.
Looks like they seed 8 players on stage 2 according to their ranking. So now it's no matter if you go from winner's side or loser's side.
For example we have Billy vs Konrad both going from winner's side and playing each other in 1/8 and Oi vs Tevez both going from loser's side meeting in 1/8...
This is just ridiculous and first time I see such...I've never seen such way of holding an event before at least here in Europe...
How long are they going to invent a wheel each time looking for something to...?
It's so "fair" for the players who played great in this particular event not losing a match on stage 1 and meeting in the first round of single elimination because of this "smart" seeding... It's a joke.
I thought I've seen everything but they are "creative"...

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck to SVB, Billy and Oscar in the final 16 at World 10 Ball.
Time for an American World Champion.
Go USA
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸

uy58YP1.gif

1631184697441.png

1631178425280.png

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would love a svb vs shaw final, and it's probably the most likely final, but biado is tough as nails and so is kaci.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good luck to SVB, Billy and Oscar in the final 16 at World 10 Ball.
Time for an American World Champion.
Go USA
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸
🇺🇸

uy58YP1.gif

View attachment 609213

View attachment 609202
This is indeed a different way of doing the draw for the final sixteen then I've ever seen before. Typically, the undefeated players would all be paired against a player from the one loss side.

Either way it is somewhat unfair to the undefeated players, since they can now be eliminated with their first loss. That would be the case with either format.

A better way of doing this draw might be to base it on total games won versus total games lost by all the players. Seed the undefeated players first in order of their overall record. Now place the one loss players on the board in the inverse order, with the player having the worst won/loss record paired against the undefeated player with the best record, and continue until the final pairing would be the undefeated player with the worst won/loss record playing the one loss player with the best overall score.

I know this may sound confusing but in actuality it's not. Doing it this way puts an emphasis on overall performance in the tournament to this point. The dominant player who remains undefeated would be paired against the player from the one loss side who struggled the most to get through. And the undefeated player with the lowest won/loss percentage would be playing the one loss player who had played the best up until now.

Last edited:

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be out of the scene a bit more than I used to be, but surprised to see 3 names I don't recognize in the final 16 of an invitational tournament of this size.

Gerson Martinez Boza (Peru) - https://www.instagram.com/gerson.martinezboza/
  • Wins over Kun Lin Wu, Khalid Alghamadi, Morra, Szolnoki
Christopher Tevez Ocampo (Peru) - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Tevez
  • Wins over Fedor, Grabe, Souquet
Bader Alawadhi (Kuwait)
  • Wins SVB, Tevez Ocampo and Jonas Souto Comino

I will do my own research but anyone know more history of these three?

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be out of the scene a bit more than I used to be, but surprised to see 3 names I don't recognize in the final 16 of an invitational tournament of this size.

Gerson Martinez Boza (Peru) - https://www.instagram.com/gerson.martinezboza/
  • Wins over Kun Lin Wu, Khalid Alghamadi, Morra, Szolnoki
Christopher Tevez Ocampo (Peru) - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Tevez
  • Wins over Fedor, Grabe, Souquet
Bader Alawadhi (Kuwait)
  • Wins SVB, Tevez Ocampo and Jonas Souto Comino

I will do my own research but anyone know more history of these three?

i know tevez played the world cup with manny chau. don't know the kuwaiti guy