World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
and at a pivotal time at 4-4 Melling scratched trying to get shape on the 7.
Yeah, they made too many errors. Single elimination race to seven is tough action and the pressure level is very high, but it makes the matches far more exciting for the viewer.

Next round (quarterfinals) is race to 9, but Austria, Russia, Spain, USA and Great Britain A are already out. The top three seeds are gone (Austria, Great Brtiain A and Spain) so the fourth seeded Team Netherlands is now the team to beat.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
After storming out to a 5-0 lead, USA drops the next 7 and are out!
The Pinoy B team beats the USA almost A team. I didn't watch it but it sounds like the wheels fell off after reaching 5-0.

The Pinoys are like the Chinese in that that could send almost any two players and have a chance against any other team. There must be 20 players in the PI who play somewhere between Shane's speed and our second best player, whoever that is.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy bejesus, that final rack is really painnnnful to watch. From near victory to sure defeat in matter of seconds and couple of balls. Worst way to lose

With old guys of Great Britain C only GB team through to quarterfinals, it is time to give them their GB team jerseys :LOL:

boyes darren.JPG

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Holy bejesus, that final rack is really painnnnful to watch. From near victory to sure defeat in matter of seconds and couple of balls. Worst way to lose

With old guys of Great Britain C only GB team through to quarterfinals, it is time to give them their GB team jerseys :LOL:

View attachment 595121
Wow, Jayson just slammed that ball 100 mph! He had a couple of other options that didn't include the possibility of a scratch. He let the clock wind down (with no extension) and looked frustrated and just shot way too hard.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The Pinoy B team beats the USA almost A team. I didn't watch it but it sounds like the wheels fell off after reaching 5-0.

The Pinoys are like the Chinese in that that could send almost any two players and have a chance against any other team. There must be 20 players in the PI who play somewhere between Shane's speed and our second best player, whoever that is.
Agreed 100%.

This isn't even the Fillipino B team. If the Philippines had to put together a team of six, neither Gomez nor DeLuna would belong ----- I'd go with Anton Raga, Dennis Orcullo, Lee Van Corteza, Johan Chua, Carlo Biado and James Aranas before selecting either. It will be quite a story if Gomez/DeLuna snaps off this event.

PS The USA's second best player is, in my view, Justin Bergman.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Estonia played well. Down 6-5, Shaw hit a poor safety and was rescued by a roll. Melling then missed an easy one ball and was rescued by a roll. Each time, Estonia deserved to get a shot and didn't. The final scratch, though a bit unlucky, was a third error Great Britain A made in the las two racks, and to me, it was a fitting end to a match that Estonia deserved to win.

I must admit that I was rooting for Great Britain A, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Nice effort by Estonia.
I. suspect everybody here who is interested already sees this stuff, but just in case this was information on Estonia we shared a couple months ago. It is the top two here that are in the quarterfinals.
1620882347629.png

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a COVID year. Everyone gets a free pass from the players and their level of play to Matchroom and their heroic efforts to deliver pool to our living rooms in abysmal circumstances (even if thankfully improving).

But yes. The standard of play of many top players was shockingly below what we’d normally expect. Shaw, Filler, Woodward, and more were making mistakes I’ve never seen them make.

It’s a good thing we are looking at their FargoRate evaluations to remind ourselves where they stack up in the world. I don’t think I’d want to know what their AccuStats TPA was.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It’s a COVID year. Everyone gets a free pass from the players and their level of play to Matchroom and their heroic efforts to deliver pool to our living rooms in abysmal circumstances (even if thankfully improving).

But yes. The standard of play of many top players was shockingly below what we’d normally expect. Shaw, Filler, Woodward, and more were making mistakes I’ve never seen them make.

It’s a good thing we are looking at their FargoRate evaluations to remind ourselves where they stack up in the world. I don’t think I’d want to know what their AccuStats TPA was.
To be fair, the Rassoon table was very tight this year. Also, the short rails seem to bounce more than the long rails, which throws players off. But yeah, everyone knows that the standard is not quite what it usually is like, and everyone knows why. Maybe some pros will get into stroke by the finals.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Germany is biggest favorite for these upcoming 4 matches, yet for some reason, I feel like they are the most likely to be upset.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Germany is biggest favorite for these upcoming 4 matches, yet for some reason, I feel like they are the most likely to be upset.

i dunno, i don't like their chances with reintjes being that twitchy and nervy. he is like the polar opposite of souquet. if he calms down they might have a chance to reach the final

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed 100%.

This isn't even the Fillipino B team. If the Philippines had to put together a team of six, neither Gomez nor DeLuna would belong ----- I'd go with Anton Raga, Dennis Orcullo, Lee Van Corteza, Johan Chua, Carlo Biado and James Aranas before selecting either. It will be quite a story if Gomez/DeLuna snaps off this event.
I’d even put Ignacio above some of those guys. Been some matches played pretty recently and he’s beat Anton twice, torched Aranas and DeLuna, and beat Corteza hill-hill. All races to 21 or 25.
It seems like Deluna has been Matchrooms go to Filipino the last couple of years. Good for him but it would be nice to see some of the other top PI players that you mentioned perform in the Matchroom events.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d even put Ignacio above some of those guys. Been some matches played pretty recently and he’s beat Anton twice, torched Aranas and DeLuna, and beat Corteza hill-hill. All races to 21 or 25.
It seems like Deluna has been Matchrooms go to Filipino the last couple of years. Good for him but it would be nice to see some of the other top PI players that you mentioned perform in the Matchroom events.

they need more proper merit events to base their invitations on. de luna placed high in the US open 2019 and since then they haven't had any open invents. if things go right the next two events after WPM will be the world championship and the US open, which will likely adjust the rankings and hence future invitations

I agree for Ignacio, I would rank them
1st tier (Orcollo, Biado)
2nd tier (Raga, Ignacio, Corteza)
3rd tier (Chua, Aranas, Gomez, De Luna, Banares)
4th tier (Faron, older guys like Kiamco, Alcano, Busti... they still can play on level of top 6-10 American players)

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dunno, i don't like their chances with reintjes being that twitchy and nervy. he is like the polar opposite of souquet. if he calms down they might have a chance to reach the final

yeah that's what i mean. i think denmark can beat germany even though they are the biggest underdog today.

totally agree about reintjes.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 5- Quarterfinals
3 past winners (Great Britain, Philippines, Germany) and only 3 top 10 seeds left (Holland, Philippines, Japan) left.
Holland is the sentimental favorite being in 2 finals before. They would want to avenge their loss hill hill on the 9 ball to Appleton/Boyes in 2014.
Definitely will be some upsets today and at least 2 of Holland, Philippines, Japan, Germany will be knocked out. Historically, teams very rarely play good in all matches so expect wheels of well oiled machines Holland, Japan to start falling off. 😆

Slovakia leads Japan 1-0

day5.jpg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is what jimmy white would call shredsville..

albin be biting his tongue holding back comments about it. some very poor shots on display right now

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Dreadful pool, just dreadful. Exciting, though.
Sad but true. In fact, it can be argued that, among the most elite players, only Netherlands player Feijen has greatly exceeded expectations. Both Naoyuki and Yoshioka of Japan and Grabe of Estonia have been solid as a rock. Every other top player has run hot and cold.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
agree the play isn't stellar but there has been some real gems here and there.

Japan is getting some distance now on Slovakia at 6-3 with Japan breaking in this race to 9

Last edited: