World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That De Luna jumpkick on the one is leading contender for shot of tournament (y)

It was a sweet shot for sure, but it was not the shot that impressed me the most in this WC of Pool.

One of the most creative tactical shots that I've ever seen was played by Gomez against England B (Day 3, Session 1, at 47:20). He designed a two way bank that also opened up a cluster at the bottom of the table, bringing numerous possible good results into play without taking any real risk. The shot was poorly analyzed by both commentators even after the fact, but those of us who often watch the Filipinos have seen them cook up shots at this level of wizardry often. The offensive component of this shot is easily overlooked but shouldn't be, and it's an absolutely free shot in this position , as long as the short side is favored while shooting the bank shot. Shots at this level of genius are more associated with Reyes and Pagulayan, but the Filipinos as a group understand the percentages more than any that have ever played pool.

The level of imagination required to even design this shot was remarkable, and even though the bank shot wasn't made, the shot jumped off the page for me as a moment of unfathomable genius.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm rooting for Appleton/Boyes. Appleton is just a great cueist and a good guy and Boyes has played the best in this tournament. It's also a great "Cinderella story".

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It was a sweet shot for sure, but it was not the shot that impressed me the most in this WC of Pool.

One of the most creative tactical shots that I've ever seen was played by Gomez against England B (Day 3, Session 1, at 47:20). He designed a two way bank that also opened up a cluster at the bottom of the table, bringing numerous possible good results into play without taking any real risk. The shot was poorly analyzed by both commentators even after the fact, but those of us who often watch the Filipinos have seen them cook up shots at this level of wizardry often. The offensive component of this shot is easily overlooked but shouldn't be, and it's an absolutely free shot in this position , as long as the short side is favored while shooting the bank shot. Shots at this level of genius are more associated with Reyes and Pagulayan, but the Filipinos as a group understand the percentages more than any that have ever played pool.

The level of imagination required to even design this shot was remarkable, and even though the bank shot wasn't made, the shot jumped off the page for me as a moment of unfathomable genius.
Had the pleasure of meeting Gomez some years ago. He taught me a "Filipino special" kick and amazed me with his overall playing ability
He's a friendly guy, a great player and IMO somewhat underrated. Sorry that he couldn't get further this year.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm rooting for Appleton/Boyes. Appleton is just a great cueist and a good guy and Boyes has played the best in this tournament. It's also a great "Cinderella story".

they are almost favourites now. after slovakias poor showing yesterday you would expect GB to reach the final. i think estonia will win though.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FINAL DAY now
Looking forward to underdogs Slovakia or old dogs Great Britain C winning the title. cos they deserve it more after upsetting a number of big name favorites. Hoping they don't dog it. :LOL:

finals.jpg

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Koniar broke the first game and scratched, how is it okay that he just shot that kick on the two? Wouldn’t it be his partner’s shot?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wooo... 5-0 Really impressive runout pool from Appleton/Boyes. We are witnessing the best team of the tournament so far :LOL:

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I watch Boyes and Appleton going up 7:0 in their semis, it comes to my mind, that for a long time I have not seen someone playing such calm and simple pool as these UK oldies.
All the jumpers, 5 rail kickers and high speed draw shooters are out, the Albins the Gorsts, the Shaws are long gone.
No pineapplepen interviews anymore, no phillipine "yes baby" high jumpers, no strange haired US boys.

Seven players in the semis, who just try to play pool and keep their nerves together...and Filler...but exceptions prove the rule...or so...

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing performance. Whitewash 9-0 Appleton/Boyes over Slovakia and they are through to final
They are hands down the favorite to win the title now. ;)

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am guessing only breaks are rotated across racks. Other shots are rotated within each rack
I think it was a mistake that didn’t get noticed. All the other matches the shots have been rotated. Guy who makes the 9 ball doesn’t break etc.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is just pool. Winner breaks format gives chance to epic comebacks but it will also give chances to shutouts if players deliver..