World Cup of Pool - Day 4 & 5 Updates

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Bleh, yeah I tried to install that but got the "not available in your country" message... all the other links are beyond worthless and have downloaded numerous ask files like onto my phone without any notifications asking if I even wanted to download anything...

See if ustream has a link to sky sports 3 stream somewhere.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Yeah.
I always remember either ustream or justin tv having all sorts of crazy links to soccer games I couldn't watch on regular tv.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Cannot find any live streams that will work on this phone. :(

Any updates? I expect the next match to be a heck of a battle.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been a day of unexpected amateurish errors

Naoyuki touched 7 ball when shooting earlier
Then Ioan left his butt (not his own) on table
Then Apples double hit CB
England A 6-3

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
England v Romaina part 2

England A lead 6-3, race to 9.

Frame 10: Karl breaks, 1 and 3 balls down. Tester on the 2 ball for Darren. He misses it and leaves a long 2. Babken misses by an inch or so and leaves Karl a shot. England should clear. They do and now lead 7-3.

Frame 11: Darren makes the 1 in the side. Hard 2 for Karl. He underhits the safe. Best to miss early against Romania. I guess. Iaon plays a nice hook. Darren jumps, finds a gap, leaving a long straight 2. Babken flinches and misses and the 2 sits in the jaws. Tricky 3 to 4 to 5 for England. Darren plays a great shot from 3 to 4 and they should clear now.... they do and amble onto the hill. 8-3.

Frame 12: Karl spreads them in all directions, 9-ball the closest to dropping, in the side, but stays out, it's dry and Iaon plays a nice hook shot. Darren makes a nice 1 rail kick and gets a lucky hook, but Babken has a jump. hmmm, he kicks it, probably thinking about his jump yesterday. He leaves Karl a tester on the 1 and he makes it, but runs too far on the 2. Darren locks up the CB Houdini style. I can't see a path, via kick or jump. He tries a masse' off the rail and misses by 16 inches. England should clear up and prove I am a great predictor, having guestimated a 9-3 result before the match.

England A WIN 9-3 and move into the semis to play Chinese Taipei.

Last edited:

Celtic

Silver Member
Why does England have 2 teams again?
Does anyone else have 2 teams?

Host country gets two teams.

I expect it helps fill the stands, especially if one of the two England teams were to get knocked out early.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does England have 2 teams again?
Does anyone else have 2 teams?

b/c the event is in England, so they get to have 2 host teams.

Which is silly, but Matchroom sponsors the event, so they can do as they please.

Celtic

Silver Member
From the sounds of things if England gets through this match they are going to be in tough against Taiwan with the way they are playing.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Game Over

Romania given many chances but just messed them up

1st semifinal 130pm London time (730am EST)
England A v Taiwan

Next up last match of day

Finland v England B

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
England B v Finland

England B: Daryl Peach and Mark Gray.
Finland: Mika Immonen and Petri Makkonen

Prediction: 9-6 England B, but Finland could win this.

Lag: England win.

Frame 1: Peach breaks, 1 ball in side, 5 wing ball in. Nice shot on the 2. CB catches the 9 on an up and down position. Nice safe by Peach. Better one by Mika hooks the poms. Nice kick by Gray, Petri needs to jump now. He makes the 3, which was near the pocket and leaves a tester on the 4 for Mika... who overcuts it and leaves a long shot to the edge for a cut. Peach hits it thick, but get safe. Nice safe from Petri.

Average safe by Gray. Mika banks the 4 into the side and Finland should clear. They do and it's 1-0 Finland in a marathon opener.

Frame 2: Petri breaks dry, 7 & 8 over one corner and 9 over the other with 2 ball near it. England hooked on the 1. Amazing layout. A mistake will lose the game almost certainly. Peach plays a kick and leaves a long shot on the 1, CB on rail. Mika slams it in and gets perfect on the 2-9 combo. Finland lead 2-0

Frame 3: Immonen breaks dry, but no pot on for the 1. Gray nicks off the 1 and hooks. Petri fouls. Tricky layout for Eng B. Peach hooks gray on the 5 ball. Gray escapes 2 rails but leaves a pretty easy layout for Finland... but Petri misses an easy 8 and England get a roll for a change in this match and now trail 1-2.

Frame 4: Peach breaks, makes 1 and 2 and Gray misses a tricky 3 in the side. Finland should clear now. A weird kiss on the 6 forces Mika to go 3 rails and he does ok. Petri makes the 6 but too straight on the 7. Mika masse's on the pot, makes it but leaves a hard 8 cut. Petri shaves it in like a champ. Finland leads 3-1 and seem to be escape artists.

Frame 5: Petri whacks them nice, but it's dry. A fine 1 on in the middle for Eng B. Peach pushes out. Mika plays to plant the 1 off the 3 into the side...it hits the jaw, but they get kinda safe. Gray hits what he could, overcuts the 1 and nearly hooks, but doesn't. Petri cuts the 1 in, but hooks Mika on the 2. Mika kicks the 2 but leaves a nice layout for England B.

Damn, it's easier covering Chinese Taipei matches!!! Break, run etc. England B clear and trail by one. 2-3.

Frame 6: Peach nun tits the break. Hooks Finland on the 1. They push to a sneak of the 1. Sent back in. Mika swerves and makes an ok safe. Gray with an ok safe. Petri leaves a tester. Granite Gray whacks it in and Eng B should clear. They do and level the match. 3-3

Frame 7: Mark makes the 1. Peach muffs the 2 somehow, missed it, was practicing. Mika banks the 3 and they should clear. 4-3 Finland.

Frame 8: Mika breaks dry and leaves a nice 1. Position to 2 is a tester. Peach gets on it ok, but needs work. Lovely screw with english shot by Gray, Eng B should clear now. They do and it's 4-4.

Frame 9: Peach makes the 6 ball. Tester on the 1 ball for Gray. He cuts it in nicely and gets on the 2 ok, but some work to do. Gray makes the 3 with the rest and caroms the 4, but it's not too bad a shot for Peach and they should clear now. They do and hit the lead for the first time in this match. 5-4.

Will continue in another post.....

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finland should win this
They have the formula and SOP for doubles play down to a T. 2 of them play like 1 :grin:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
England B v Finland continued...

England B lead 5-4.

Frame 10: Gray breaks dry. Something happens. Peach misses a shot to nothing 1. Petri hooks the 1, but jump and kick available. Gray runs around the table to get his jump cue, jumps and misses and leaves the 1 on. Mika overcooks position on the 2 ball. No extensions left for either team.

Petri makes a fine cut but locks the CB onto the 5. Mika goes up and down and hits the 3 over the pocket. England should clear. Petri slams his cue down, some frustration. Gray making some lovely straight potting. These guys play snooker shape much more than the teams we're used to seeing. England B clears and moves to 6-4 and my 9-6 prediction is on track :)

Frame 11: Peach makes 1 in side, 4 in head corner and on the 2 nicely. Bad shape on the 3 by Gray, Peach makes the 3 but hooks Gray behind the 9 ball. Gray kicks 2 rails and makes the 5 off the 6 ball. Tester on the 6 for Peach. He plays pot or safe, misses the pot and snookers. Mika kicks it but sells out. Has a look on his face like he just sucked a lemon. England should clear, and they do and hit an almost unassailable lead of 7-4.

Frame 12: Gray breaks, makes the 4 in the head rail corner, no system on the break other than bash. The 1 balls needs a masse. Peach swerves and almost kicks it in off the rail, but leaves Petri a good shot. 2-8 combo for Mika, and he hits it badly, trying to get fancy with a 2 off rail first. Gray makes a long straight 2, as he does and Peach needs to bank the 3 to the side... he does it sweetly and Eng B should clear now. Gray has his eye in, and potting center pocket like few can. England clears and struts onto the hill. 8-4

Frame 13: Peach breaks, dry... 1 on but tricky to the 2. Mika banks and now they're a chance. 4 ball is tricky to get on. He gets on it, but now the 5 is tricky to get on. Petri underhits it! Mika hooks behind the 9. England needs a big kick escape here. ... HOLY CRAP. Mark Gray kicks it center ball, straight into the corner and kisses the 8 out of the way of the 6 just for fun, and leaves a perfect layout.

England B wins 9-4. I thought I was cheeky predicting 9-6, especially when they were 0-2 down, but faith, or is it luck prevails. Not that I'm barracking so much. Just want to see some good pool :)

Colin - off to bed at 6.58am.

Last edited:

Celtic

Silver Member
Taiwan vs England B final. Taiwan wins 10-6 in the final. You heard it here first.