World Cup of Pool - Day 4 & 5 Updates

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really never is a tournament until we have a Mika scowl. :p
I wish matchroom had a camera on him when Mark Grey made that kick on the 5 ball.

Superb shot.

Great pool today, I'm salivating for England A vs Taiwan tomorrow.
Go Japan!

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan vs England B final. Taiwan wins 10-6 in the final. You heard it here first.

I reckon you may be right. Maybe Taiwan over England A in the semi 9-7, then England B over Japan 9-6 and I'd also guess 10-6 to Taiwan over England B.

But the fun part is, anything could happen. All these teams can play and the break seems to be getting harder to read. B&R% around 10 to 15% today means there will be chances for all.

Colin

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Personally, I was very impressed with Team Japan today. Tomorrow should be exciting. Looking forward to it.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Finland lost but what always impresses me is how Petri has to ability to calm down Mika. Mika is normally so wound up that it gets to him. When he plays with Makonen he appears so much more at ease. Something about playing with the big guy just settles him down.

This is without doubt the best paring. They are better together than they are alone which is very seldom the case.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Finland lost but what always impresses me is how Petri has to ability to calm down Mika. Mika is normally so wound up that it gets to him. When he plays with Makonen he appears so much more at ease. Something about playing with the big guy just settles him down.

This is without doubt the best paring. They are better together than they are alone which is very seldom the case.

This is a really good point. I also think Darren does the same for Karl Boyes. Those two together can deliver under the spotlight.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
After Japan wins the whole damn thing...I'm gonna have teriyaki chicken.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After Japan wins the whole damn thing...I'm gonna have teriyaki chicken.

Haha, I just want to hear their post championship interview.
These guys have a good time out there.
Did you see the one guy with the flag afterwards. Hysterical stuff and always welcome in the usual serious toned pool scene.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan vs England B final. Taiwan wins 10-6 in the final. You heard it here first.

Am inclined to agree
Chang is breaking bad resulting in Taiwan breaking worse of the 4 teams. England B probably break the best . Pressure is on England A to perform on home soil so I think if Chang gets his break together Taiwan will have no problem taking down England A . This match should be the final .This is like grudge revenge match for EnglandA having lost to Taiwan couple of years ago in similar circumstances beating an opponent 7-0 also

Japan may just nudge out England B but if Mark Gray continued playing like he did in previous matches, England B is hard to beat and may even win whole thing
:)

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is happening to Japan right now is what happens when you think it's cute that you are pounding on your opponent, take it for granted, joke around about your misses, and lose focus.

I would LOVE to see Quatar demolish them from here just to emphasize that point, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Pool fans hate fun.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First Semi Final - England A v Chinese Taipei

England A: Darren Appleton & Karl Boyes
Taiwan: Ko Pin Yi & Chang Yu Lung

Race to 9.

Lag: Darren v Ko. Ko wins.

Frame 1: Soft break makes 8 wing ball. Nice on the 1 ball. Chang fluffs it, leaves similar shot for Darren. Darren also jaws it out, down the rail. Pockets tightening up perhaps. Darren lucks a hook though. Ko jumps.. tries to cut the 1 but misses it completely. 3 to 4 may pose a problem. Karl nudges off the 7 to get nicely on the 4. They should clear. They do and lead 1-0.

Frame 2: Darren firm breaks and makes 1 in the side. Karl makes a tester 2 into the side. Only the 5 needs special attention as the 8 blocks it into its nearest corner. Karl with nice touch off the 4, gives Darren an ok shot on the 5, and it slides in. Should clear now. They do it smoothly. 2-0 England.

Frame 3: Karl makes the 3 ball. Hard long 1 to start, or combo onto 9. Darren's lining up the combo, about 40/60 I reckon. Misses it by 4 inches but leaves the 1 pretty safe. Chang plays safe and leaves distance and an edge. Karl rolls table length and it rolled off onto the 9. Ted Lerner says it must be the cueing, coz it was laser leveled. LOL

Taiwan look smooth, as we'd expect and get out of the blocks. 1-2

Frame 4: Chang breaks dry but leaves the 1 behind the 4, cut may be on. England use up their extension and Karl makes the thin cut, 4 gets kicked in too. Darren misses a tough 2 to the side, which would have been game. Ko Pin Yi should make it, but plays a shocker and leaves a big cut shot on the 2. Karl cutting like a Ginsu knife, but scratches in the side. 2-2

I called it early, Chang rolls too far on the 7, forcing Ko to carom into the 9, but they get away with it. 2-2 confirmed. Ko, "The Rollman" getting a couple already.

Frame 5: Ko makes the 5 ball and is on the 1. Gets lucky not to scratch, and ball sits in jaws, on the 2. He would have hooked himself if it didn't stay in the jaws. He's a luck-freak. Chang hooks him next shot. Ko misses a pretty easy 1 rail kick by 2 inches. England cruise through a pretty easy layout and lead again. 3-2

Frame 6: Darren misses his 1 in the side, dry break. A tester from 1 to 2. Chang jacks up and gets there, barely, a tester for Ko to get from 2 to 3. He makes it left handed and caroms off balls to hold for the 3. A nice positional shot from Chang and they should clear now. Angle on 5 is not good. Chang plays a lovely 3 rail positional shot from almost off the side rail. They clear and tie it up. 3-3

Frame 7: Chang makes the 1 in the side. Difficult 2 ball. Ko takes on the combo to the 6, misses the 6 but the 2 follows through... pretty lucky, again. Chang just makes a tricky 3 and doesn't get on the 4 well. Ko stretches and plays safe, but leaves a tricky cut on. Darren misses the cut, kicks the 4 in off 2 rails but hooks Karl on the 5. Karl jumps on the buzzer and gets it pretty safe. Chang misjudges the safe and leaves a long, but pretty easy 5 on. Darren misses by a mile... not sure he was going for it, leaves it safe. Ko plays safe, leaves a hard long cut. Karl tries a long bank 2 way and looks like he's left a shot. Chang overcuts it. Darren makes a nice very thin cut to the side and gets perfect on the 6. Karl gets him weird on the 7. Karl needs to make a long 8 down the rail, hits it nice and England takes the lead again after a crazy frame. 4-3

Frame 8: Karl makes the 1, 2 and 3 off the break and leaves a tricky 4 for Darren which he drills in. Tricky 7 and 3 or more rails to the 8 now for Karl to overcome. He makes the pot, goes 3 rails but a little short. Darren misses a tricky cut on the 8 but CB gets behind the 9. I think they'll jump. They do, and draw back for shape. 4-4

Frame 9: Po makes 2 balls, but they're hooked on the 1. They push. Eng refuse it. Chang kicks 1 rail with side and the 1 goes straight into the corner. He was playing for a safe. The layout is good and they are on line. The bakery boys from Taipei hit the lead for the first time. 5-4

Frame 10: Chang makes 1 in the side. 2 is not pottable. They push. Eng refuse it. Ko plays a nice safe and nearly gets the hook. Darren clips it but hits the 8, leaving a difficult cut carom to 7. They get lucky again, nearly hooking themselves when the CB double back and nearly kicked the 2 in. Darren's head about to explode. If the 2 wasn't there, they would have scratched. They clear up. 6-4 to the bakery boys.

Frame 11:... will continue in new post, to save people scrolling back.

Last edited:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for posting these live updates, really looking forward to England A vs Taiwan match. Keeping my thumbs up for england but taiwan seems to be playing well this year, this is gonna be good :cool:

Dream final would be England A vs England B, that'd be one for the history books :grin:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like one of my league matches to start....two clear shots on the 1, two misses.

molinatx4206

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
really unprofessional from karl to be messing with his bag right in front of ko while he is trying to jump. didn't even look like he got anything out of it....

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
"Had to be the way he hit it?"
Um that cueball rolled off like an inch to hit the 9 first.
<---hates announcers who are blind