World Pool Masters (22-25 May2021) Winner $25K

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I wasn’t expecting that! Sometimes that’s all it takes. Grind. Grind. Grind. Grind. And then suddenly all the stars align and you catch an untouchable gear. Well deserved.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Absolutely brilliant play by Kazakis. Couldn't be happier for him. Among the Europeans who frequent the American pool scene, he's among the most popular, so while American fans will feel sad for Shane, they'll feel good for the likeable and very sportsmanlike Kazakis. Well done!

BlueRaider

Registered
Both guys in the finals slayed their personal dragons. SVB desperately needed that win over Filler, but in the process, he may have "let up" mentally. And Kazakis was playing both to get the SVB monkey off his own back while also seeking redemption for that brutal loss to Alcaide in 2019.

That was just a really inspiring performance from Alex. He has probably thought about that 2019 final everyday since Alcaide banked in the winner. Today was pure, sweet redemption for him.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoever doubts that pool is all mental better rewatch the play from today.

Kazakis vs Kaci was a meltdown
Shane getting nervous versus Filler

Somehow Kazakis got a heart transplant and played a fantastic finals. Glad for him. Just a terrific accomplishment and he kicked down the door to do it.

What a wild event.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow I just saw the last rack replay on FB. I have not been following. Can't believe Kazakis won 9-0. Is this the first time since Corey shut out Mika of a shutout in a major event final amongst two top pros?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow I just saw the last rack replay on FB. I have not been following. Can't believe Kazakis won 9-0. Is this the first time since Corey shut out Mika of a shutout in a major event final amongst two top pros?
Might well be. Shutouts in major event finals are very rare. As painful as it is to think about the 2001 US Open 9-ball final you referenced here, something good came out of that match, as it was surely the beginning of the end of the soft break in our sport.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the top level of pool players, the difference between 1st and 2nd place is often a combination of "lucky/unlucky rolls" and mental preparation.
Alex has clearly demonstrated that he can win under pressure.
His confidence level just went up several notches.
I think it's very likely that he will win more titles in the near future.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
3754E89B-684C-474E-AFC3-1C7C9E968B7C.jpeg

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The semifinals and finals were fantastic. Congratulations to Alex! He was a different player in the finals than he was against Kaci in the semifinals.

Does anybody think that because Shane Van Boening did not have a break between his match with Joshua Filler in the semifinals and the finals, as Alex did, had anything to do with the outcome, or was it just in the stars that Alex played beautifully and Shane never had a chance, remaining benched the majority of the match?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hooray for Shane. I think he's beat Kazakis the last 500,000,000 times in a row, so he should prevail, but I guess you never know. Alex will have to execute at a much higher level than he did against Kaci to earn the title.
It's not QUITE half a billion: Kazakis beat Shane at both the 10-Ball Challenge and the 9-Ball Challenge CSI events in July 2017

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The semifinals and finals were fantastic. Congratulations to Alex! He was a different player in the finals than he was against Kaci in the semifinals.

Does anybody think that because Shane Van Boening did not have a break between his match with Joshua Filler in the semifinals and the finals, as Alex did, had anything to do with the outcome, or was it just in the stars that Alex played beautifully and Shane never had a chance, remaining benched the majority of the match?
Yes. All those things.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this one is over.

SVB will at least take home some consolation knowing he got the Filler monkey off his back. I would imagine he felt like the title was his once he got through that match, given his history with Kazakis. But Alex is playing like World No. 1 right now.

If players would just pull out their phones and check their FargoRate APP, they'd be able to keep better track of the monkeys on their backs.

1622027961535.png

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i agree. great matches, especially the last two. it was nice to see shane beating filler, and equally nice to see kazakis in some kind of zen mode totally dominating the finals. never in a million years would i think that kazakis, after his erratic semifinal, would win 9 - 0 against SVB. he kept him benched, as you write, it was out of shane's control.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Having seen Grady beat Buddy Hall in Reno 11-0 and a few other whitewashes in pro events, it's just part of sports and those moments.
It's a great win for Kazakis, and I'm sure Shane learned from this moment in time.
Congrats to KZ.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's not QUITE half a billion: Kazakis beat Shane at both the 10-Ball Challenge and the 9-Ball Challenge CSI events in July 2017
Surely, those aren't the only matches you have between them. Shane beat him time and time again at the Mosconi, including in the match that ended the 2018 event and ended the US losing streak. More recently, Shane also beat him in the final at Turning Stone in January 2020 -- I think it was 13-7 or 13-8.

Nice to see Alex get past his woes with Shane, which had been going on for years now.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surely, those aren't the only matches you have between them. Shane beat him time and time again at the Mosconi, including in the match that ended the 2018 event and ended the US losing streak. More recently, Shane also beat him in the final at Turning Stone in January 2020 -- I think it was 13-7 or 13-8.

Nice to see Alex get past his woes with Shane, which had been going on for years now.
lol. You said "I think he's beat Kazakis the last 500,000,000 times in a row." I was acknowledging the other 499,999,998.

Yes Jan 2020 Turning Stone Final was 13-6, and that followed a 9-2 earlier in the same tournament.

I think Alex poked the bear a few months earlier, when he got to hill-hill against Shane at the Steinway Classic (9-8 score, Oct 2019)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
lol. You said "I think he's beat Kazakis the last 500,000,000 times in a row." I was acknowledging the other 499,999,998.

Yes Jan 2020 Turning Stone Final was 13-6, and that followed a 9-2 earlier in the same tournament.

I think Alex poked the bear a few months earlier, when he got to hill-hill against Shane at the Steinway Classic (9-8 score, Oct 2019)
Agreed that 1/2 a billion was a slight exaggeration, but I've been present for so many of Kazakis' failures against Shane, that it felt like that many.