WORLD POOL (nineball) CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 April2022), UK, Winner $60K

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s the shot that Mika complained about. The ref just lifted the 9 and then set it back down when he pulled out the template. Shane barely had a shot but made the 1. At the end of the game, Mika told the ref he should have used a marker. Shane (who probably should have stayed out of it) said it didn’t change the shot, and it went back and forth a few times.

I’m curious if people agree that you need to mark a ball to pick up the template. It’s one thing to pick up the cue ball to clean it, but it’s a different thing to just lift up a single ball a little, slide the template out, and put the ball back down. I’m not sure I agree that you need to mark it first.

View attachment 636826
IMO you NEVER pick up any ball if you're the ref without marking its position first. Every good ref has a ball marker in their pocket. You can also mark a ball's position by using chalk. No excuse for not doing it.

If you ask me why he should do that, my answer is that even when picking up a ball only a "millimeter" it's possible that your arm might be bumped or the ball may even fall or slip from your grasp. What then? Guess where it should go? Mark it and then you have no worries about where to spot it. I have seen referees drop balls more than once.

I have also watched a referee turn a ball around when a player complained about a chalk mark on the ball. The proper action would be to mark the ball, pick it up, clean it and then set it back down.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
To be fair, a game or two later Mika asked the ref to clean the cue ball and the ref pulled his marker out of his pocket and cleaned the cue ball. I just don’t think the ref felt the need to mark the ball that was on the rack. Pick it up a millimeter, slide out the rack, and put it back down. Do you think the ref should use a marker in that situation Jay?
YES!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All that schedule shows is their future tournaments
I meant the pages on the digitalpool.com site which you can get to by poking around on the matchroompool.com site.

The current schedule is not so easy to find but it was posted just above. If you poke around some more on digitalpool.com you get to the following. I think the organization of digitalpool.com is not easy to figure out. I suppose the start times listed are PDT and the start times for the second set of four matches is obviously totally broken.

CropperCapture[3].png

Last edited:

levid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant the pages on the digitalpool.com site which you can get to by poking around on the matchroompool.com site.

The current schedule is not so easy to find but it was posted above.
Thanks Bob! I've seen a lot of feedback about the scheduled times so this is something we will definitely improve upon for the next event.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob! I've seen a lot of feedback about the scheduled times so this is something we will definitely improve upon for the next event.
I do like the fact that it shows one’s local time, but I’m so used to people not bothering to adjust for time zones that I always pause for a second and wonder. I think just indicating time zone would go a long way.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those rules say “may” not “shall.” I don’t think it’s hard to use a marker, I just don’t think it’s any more accurate in that situation.

The ref used the marker in the very next game. Mika was up 10-8 and they had a little safety battle. I believe they were the only shots Mika had after that little altercation.

there are times where they could just cut the template with scissors. it's not like it's an expensive piece of equipment. maybe wouldn't look good on tv? lol

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 4 and 2nd last day of this pool party extravaganza.
Down to last 16 players and by end of today only 4 will be standing. All are guaranteed minimum $6K for making to last 16
Morning session last 16 and evening session (530pm UK time) quarterfinals

LIVE now
Table 2 Youtube
Joshua Filler v Darren Appleton

day4 m.jpg

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
They’ve resisted the trend and stuck with a winner break format which creates environment where such matches can occur. Even if Mika makes that 5 ball, it’s a great run out and a great story or the tournament.

The lack of ball markers is indeed an oversight, but you have to partially put the blame on their head referee or tournament director.
BS, All Ref's should have their own ball marker. It's like hiring a carpenter that doesn't own a screw driver. Even though I enjoy watching Mika cry, he's right. Ref should have used a ball marker.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
IMO you NEVER pick up any ball if you're the ref without marking its position first. Every good ref has a ball marker in their pocket. You can also mark a ball's position by using chalk. No excuse for not doing it.

If you ask me why he should do that, my answer is that even when picking up a ball only a "millimeter" it's possible that your arm might be bumped or the ball may even fall or slip from your grasp. What then? Guess where it should go? Mark it and then you have no worries about where to spot it. I have seen referees drop balls more than once.

I have also watched a referee turn a ball around when a player complained about a chalk mark on the ball. The proper action would be to mark the ball, pick it up, clean it and then set it back down.
Lol

When you lift the ball a half millimeter for a half second with your hand on the slate, it's not doing all that exaggerated stuff you mentioned.

Lol

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, big upset Yapp is knocked out by lowest FR 752 of the last 16, Abdullah Al Youseef. Yapp was ahead a lot like 6 or 7 over.
Abdullah B&R 10 racks in his win yesterday. His FR is definitely underrated :LOL:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
This tournament may have the most come-from-behind victories in it, ever! No one is safe, and I mean no one.