WWYD-You need 3 balls...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm sure YOU have a, 'smart' phone, take a photo of the exact position in the diagram, record & post a video of YOU playing YOUR shot! Easy peezy!
It's pretty obvious from the diagram that the draw shot works - as most people in this thread have said. And I don't want to upstage your vanity video just because I'm better looking. :D

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
It's pretty obvious from the diagram that the draw shot works - as most people in this thread have said. And I don't want to upstage your vanity video just because I'm better looking. :D

pj
chgo

I didn't expect any other reply, except the one YOU gave!

Last edited:

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the two rail on the 5 as well, but you can make your balls pretty simple.
Hit the 4 in with draw to get behind the 15.
Shoot that with follow and bank the 5 in no prob.
If you get a low angle on the 5 bank, you can use the cue ball to push the 11 uptable in case you hang your last ball.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
This shot requires a pretty, 'pure' stroke, the timing and tempo are exacting.

Force following thru the 4 ball with EXTREME 10 or 11 O'clock English with the proper speed as not to create too wide an angle off the 1st cushion to make the CB come straight across for the 11 ball. After getting on the 11, walk the CB over with a little, 'nip draw' for the 5 ball and lastly the 15! Without banking a ball!

The other element that makes this shot tough is that, 'slight' back-cut angle to the 4 ball! The CB already wants to travel to the right on the tangent line!

WWYD-00ans3 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZJW9VApl0

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Force following thru the 4 ball with EXTREME 10 or 11 O'clock English with the proper speed as not to create too wide an angle off the 1st cushion to make the CB come straight across for the 11 ball. After getting on the 11, walk the CB over with a little, 'nip draw' for the 5 ball and lastly the 15! Without banking a ball!

The other element that makes this shot tough is that, 'slight' back-cut angle to the 4 ball! The CB already wants to travel to the right on the tangent line!

View attachment 502444

Niiiice..........

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 502444

On our tables and cloth, I don't see that extreme inside/follow power shot shown in your diagram as being possible. The extreme inside will tend to kill the cue ball when it hits the far side rail, and you couldn't get it to come all the way back across the table at that angle, in my opinion.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
On our tables and cloth, I don't see that extreme inside/follow power shot shown in your diagram as being possible. The extreme inside will tend to kill the cue ball when it hits the far side rail, and you couldn't get it to come all the way back across the table at that angle, in my opinion.

I'd like to know, what tables and cloth do YOU play on?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 4 isn't straight in or on the rail. Draw back for the 15. Depending on how you land on the 15 you either draw back for the 11 or bank the 5.

That looks easier than with he did in the video.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to know, what tables and cloth do YOU play on?
Maybe it's just me that can't pull off that shot! We've had Andy Pro cloth, but we're switching back to Simonis 860HR in a month. I see you executed that shot perfectly on your video - awesome stroke! Obviously on newer cloth, you'd have trouble getting that inside to take that well off the side rail.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Maybe it's just me that can't pull off that shot! We've had Andy Pro cloth, but we're switching back to Simonis 860HR in a month. I see you executed that shot perfectly on your video - awesome stroke! Obviously on newer cloth, you'd have trouble getting that inside to take that well off the side rail.

I'm pretty sure, within 5 minute or so, I would figure out the technique for making the shot in the same manner as in the video on a NEW cloth.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 502444

covering 8 foot of travel with a reverse kill shot for 10 inches of position wouldn't be my choice on any cloth -
plus it will be way to easy to over cook the shot -
soft draw to the short side would be my pick -
keep the defense in the shot if you blow the position -

bill

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
covering 8 foot of travel with a reverse kill shot for 10 inches of position wouldn't be my choice on any cloth -
plus it will be way to easy to over cook the shot -
soft draw to the short side would be my pick -
keep the defense in the shot if you blow the position -

bill

Bill, Is it possible to see a video of, YOU, 'overcooking' the position here?

What that word, 'overcooking' means to me, "Making the 4 ball and going 1 cushion and running into anyone of the balls left on the table!"

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill, Is it possible to see a video of, YOU, 'overcooking' the position here?

What that word, 'overcooking' means to me, "Making the 4 ball and going 1 cushion and running into anyone of the balls left on the table!"

You play 3 cushion -
did you ever stroke a shot to get 10 rails on the same rail to score a point ?
what about multi rail a corner to score a point ?
it is real easy to over juice a shot or over cook it -
high ball force follow shots can be very risky and low percentage -

bill

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you only need 3 balls, why shoot the 15 at the end? Lol.
Neat stroke shot for fun I'm sure.
What you did makes zero sense in an actual match playing another person of any caliber.
You rattle your 4 hitting too hard, and I'm out!
Or, you get outta line not landing perfect on your top ball and now your on the defense.
By overcooking the shot, he most likely means hitting too hard and bouncing off the opponents side rail back toward the middle of the table.
Far from recommended and beyond impractical for serious one pocket play.
I don't think Efren would even go that route.
I play on Gold Crown 3 tables that have 3 7/8 inch pockets and Simonis 760.
I'd go for the easy cheese.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

View attachment 502444

Very low percentage pattern. You should be getting many offers to play 1 pocket for $$$
Jason

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
If you only need 3 balls, why shoot the 15 at the end? Lol.
Neat stroke shot for fun I'm sure.
What you did makes zero sense in an actual match playing another person of any caliber.
You rattle your 4 hitting too hard, and I'm out!
Or, you get outta line not landing perfect on your top ball and now your on the defense.
By overcooking the shot, he most likely means hitting too hard and bouncing off the opponents side rail back toward the middle of the table.
Far from recommended and beyond impractical for serious one pocket play.
I don't think Efren would even go that route.
I play on Gold Crown 3 tables that have 3 7/8 inch pockets and Simonis 760.
I'd go for the easy cheese.

I NEVER said this is the ONLY way to play from this position, this is what, "I" did!

I KNOW how to play this shot, perhaps other people don't have the confidence to play it! I do!

Everyone that posted they're options to play from this position is what the thread was about! Once again, it's a WWYD!!!!!

I still have not seen one poster who opted to draw back off the 4 ball post a video of such! With the balls in the EXACT position as in my first diagram! I'm always looking to learn something related to the cue games.

If a player doesn't actually KNOW what there doing, any difficult shot is NOT for them, which is a common practice for many amateur players! Trying to execute a shot that is way above they're actual playing abilities!

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I NEVER said this is the ONLY way to play from this position, this is what, "I" did!

I KNOW how to play this shot, perhaps other people don't have the confidence to play it! I do!

Everyone that posted they're options to play from this position is what the thread was about! Once again, it's a WWYD!!!!!

I still have not seen one poster who opted to draw back off the 4 ball post a video of such! With the balls in the EXACT position as in my first diagram! I'm always looking to learn something related to the cue games.

If a player doesn't actually KNOW what there doing, any difficult shot is NOT for them, which is a common practice for many amateur players! Trying to execute a shot that is way above they're actual playing abilities!
Bill, you made a great shot...:bow-down:

But if it’s possible to hold the 4-ball for the bank on the 5...that’s what I’m doing.....
...aim straight at the 4 and spin it in with right english (pocket weight) should get me the bank.
I ain’t missed that back bank on the 5 since Pontius was a student Pilate...:cool:
...and the three rail position is pretty natural....
...so for my game, I don't have to play a great shot....kinda natural.