WWYD-You need 3 balls...

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Bill, you made a great shot...:bow-down:

But if it’s possible to hold the 4-ball for the bank on the 5...that’s what I’m doing.....
...aim straight at the 4 and spin it in with right english (pocket weight) should get me the bank.
I ain’t missed that back bank on the 5 since Pontius was a student Pilate...:cool:
...and the three rail position is pretty natural....
...so for my game, I don't have to play a great shot....kinda natural.

PT, Different strokes, for different folks! that's what makes games and gambling!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then it is proven: you are the best.

I NEVER said this is the ONLY way to play from this position, this is what, "I" did!

I KNOW how to play this shot, perhaps other people don't have the confidence to play it! I do!

Everyone that posted they're options to play from this position is what the thread was about! Once again, it's a WWYD!!!!!

I still have not seen one poster who opted to draw back off the 4 ball post a video of such! With the balls in the EXACT position as in my first diagram! I'm always looking to learn something related to the cue games.

If a player doesn't actually KNOW what there doing, any difficult shot is NOT for them, which is a common practice for many amateur players! Trying to execute a shot that is way above they're actual playing abilities!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I still have not seen one poster who opted to draw back off the 4 ball post a video of such! With the balls in the EXACT position as in my first diagram! I'm always looking to learn something related to the cue games.
Have you tried it?

pj <- just a thought
chgo

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This shot requires a pretty, 'pure' stroke, the timing and tempo are exacting.

Force following thru the 4 ball with EXTREME 10 or 11 O'clock English with the proper speed as not to create too wide an angle off the 1st cushion to make the CB come straight across for the 11 ball. After getting on the 11, walk the CB over with a little, 'nip draw' for the 5 ball and lastly the 15! Without banking a ball!

There's no way I'm playing a force follow shot here.. too many bad things
could happen.. rattle the 4, you've sold out, etc.
For the cheese, I'm still drawing back into, or under, the 5 for position on the
15 and 11. Think I'll set this up the next I'm at the table, along with the
8 ball run out on another thread.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I set this shot up on the table...

First try, shot the 4, drew back into the 5 bumping it past the 11,
got position on the 15, drew back for the 11, out.

Second try, again bumped the 5 but got position on the 15 to
roll forward for the bank on the 11, out.

Tried drawing under the 5... that just tied up the balls, sometimes
no shot available, a few times sold out.

$.02

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
So I set this shot up on the table...

First try, shot the 4, drew back into the 5 bumping it past the 11,
got position on the 15, drew back for the 11, out.

Second try, again bumped the 5 but got position on the 15 to
roll forward for the bank on the 11, out.

Tried drawing under the 5... that just tied up the balls, sometimes
no shot available, a few times sold out.

$.02

Nice, now if you would, please! take your smart phone, take a photo of the, SAME position of the balls as in my first diagram, then video you playing your choices to get out! Easy Peezeee!

BTW, 66 replies, which 19 of them are mine, which leaves 47 others that didn't post a video of they're claim! Pretty sad in the, 'Millennium Electronic Age!'

Last edited:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice, now if you would, please! take your smart phone, take a photo of the, SAME position of the balls as in my first diagram, then video you playing your choices to get out! Easy Peezeee!

BTW, 66 replies, which 19 of them are mine, which leaves 47 others that didn't post a video of they're claim! Pretty sad in the, 'Millennium Electronic Age!'

Don't think I can post videos directly here... I don't have a YT account either..
anyways, it's not really a 'claim', that's what happened when I set it up..:grin-square:

$.02

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Don't think I can post videos directly here... I don't have a YT account either..
anyways, it's not really a 'claim', that's what happened when I set it up..:grin-square:

$.02

It's EASY enough for anyone to set one up! :) I'm not saying you didn't do it! I'd llike to see it done, I'm willing to learn, even at 73!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just shot it for 30 min with all the ways suggested in this thread. I will upload the video later tonight or tomorrow, I have to go get the gf now.

The draw shot is cake. You can fall on the balls many different ways depending on what you do or do not brush on the draw. The 2 rail bank is no good. The CB hops and its super hard to get it safe if you have the speed for the 5 to reach the pocket. The follow shot Bill shot is not on at all.

I would bet my house after doing many of these WWYD threads, that the difference is in the ball setup.

It is 100% impossible for Bill to duplicate what he had on the pool table to the diagramming tool, and then me to copy it 100%. Adding to the complication, the diagramming tool does not seem to be an exact 9' table. The balls are much too close together within the diamonds. I took an overhead shot of my table with the balls as close as I could get them, and you can clearly see the spacing is much different than the diagramming tool. I say this, as I've done these threads for years, and everyone yells at each other when the root problem is there is no way to position the balls precisely. Even if you had an accustats overhead view of the shot, its impossible, due to the parallax and other optical factors I'm not familiar enough with to name. That is why the headstring line drawn on table does not line up with the diamonds sights on the rails on the overhead accu-stats view.

I'll write back with the video when I have time. And the video will have a still image from my camera of the setup I used.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, dude...I am sure plenty of us woulda gone to get her for you.

Priorities!
I just shot it for 30 min with all the ways suggested in this thread. I will upload the video later tonight or tomorrow, I have to go get the gf now.

The draw shot is cake. You can fall on the balls many different ways depending on what you do or do not brush on the draw. The 2 rail bank is no good. The CB hops and its super hard to get it safe if you have the speed for the 5 to reach the pocket. The follow shot Bill shot is not on at all.

I would bet my house after doing many of these WWYD threads, that the difference is in the ball setup.

It is 100% impossible for Bill to duplicate what he had on the pool table to the diagramming tool, and then me to copy it 100%. Adding to the complication, the diagramming tool does not seem to be an exact 9' table. The balls are much too close together within the diamonds. I took an overhead shot of my table with the balls as close as I could get them, and you can clearly see the spacing is much different than the diagramming tool. I say this, as I've done these threads for years, and everyone yells at each other when the root problem is there is no way to position the balls precisely. Even if you had an accustats overhead view of the shot, its impossible, due to the parallax and other optical factors I'm not familiar enough with to name. That is why the headstring line drawn on table does not line up with the diamonds sights on the rails on the overhead accu-stats view.

I'll write back with the video when I have time. And the video will have a still image from my camera of the setup I used.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Force following thru the 4 ball with EXTREME 10 or 11 O'clock English with the proper speed as not to create too wide an angle off the 1st cushion to make the CB come straight across for the 11 ball. After getting on the 11, walk the CB over with a little, 'nip draw' for the 5 ball and lastly the 15! Without banking a ball!

The other element that makes this shot tough is that, 'slight' back-cut angle to the 4 ball! The CB already wants to travel to the right on the tangent line!

View attachment 502444

Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZJW9VApl0

Id say set up it up 10 times for draw and 10 for your extreme force follow and you get out much more often with draw because even if not perfect the draw shot especially with the 5 in that position gives a ton of room for margin of error.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The other element that makes this shot tough is that, 'slight' back-cut angle to the 4 ball! The CB already wants to travel to the right on the tangent line!

View attachment 502444

You could play that shot with less speed and have the CB come out from the cushion just enough, so there is a path between the 15 and 11 ball and bank the 5 with lots of low left english.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 502444

Nicely done and thank you for posting. I will keep that in mind when looking at patterns.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are my video attempts. No editing, and all attempts shown, even the very first one. I made it 5x speed for easy viewing. When there was no longer an offensive shot, I played out the inning anyway as in a real one pocket game, to play a defensive shot.

There are about 50 innings, and I made the 3 ball out 5 times.

When I got to Bill's follow shot, I made the video regular speed for the first two attempts at it. You will see what happened in both attempts.

The end of the video has still frames for a few seconds each of Bill's original drawing, and 3 different camera views of my table for comparison.

Getting position on the draw shot was super easy. The main problem I ran into was freezing the CB on the rail for the subsequent shots, and loosing accuracy because of that.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/2z1_vLyFY_8

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Here are my video attempts. No editing, and all attempts shown, even the very first one. I made it 5x speed for easy viewing. When there was no longer an offensive shot, I played out the inning anyway as in a real one pocket game, to play a defensive shot.

There are about 50 innings, and I made the 3 ball out 5 times.

When I got to Bill's follow shot, I made the video regular speed for the first two attempts at it. You will see what happened in both attempts.

The end of the video has still frames for a few seconds each of Bill's original drawing, and 3 different camera views of my table for comparison.

Getting position on the draw shot was super easy. The main problem I ran into was freezing the CB on the rail for the subsequent shots, and loosing accuracy because of that.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/2z1_vLyFY_8

Rich, interesting video! Did you ever make the 5 ball 2 cushions and get out? And I take it, you did not make the, 'soft force-follow shot, as in my video?'

I guess, I should of entitled this thread, "Who has the controlled stroke to soft force-follow thru the 4 ball, to run out!"

My mistake.

Last edited: