Mother drills?

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard a few people mention "mother drills" recently, does anyone know what that means?

qghunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are stroke drills taught by Randy G at pool school. I believe Scott Lee also.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
And that's as close to an answer as you are going to get. ;)

and that is because everyone who knows them also know that they are completely worthless.. without the instruction that goes along with them

here I'll give you 2 of them

shoot a stripe ball into a pocket without using a cueball..

see what I mean?

have a nice day:thumbup:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and that is because everyone who knows them also know that they are completely worthless.. without the instruction that goes along with them

see what I mean?

You forgot SPF -- FREEZE

thrash attack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

see what I mean?

is this to test for accidental English?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've heard a few people mention "mother drills" recently, does anyone know what that means?

This is the exercise of having your wife/significant other stand over you while you're trying to sleep one off at 11:00 in the morning yelling "take out the garbage, clean your room, mow the lawn, and when are you going to get your hair cut?". :D

Maniac

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually there are over 100 SPF instructors spread out across the country. Most of them teach using the Mother Drills. If you do a search, you will find that most of the MD's have been detailed here, in one post or another.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

They are stroke drills taught by Randy G at pool school. I believe Scott Lee also.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I wouldn't go so far as to say they're worthless, I would agree that they would seem, on the surface, to not be anything special, without knowing how to use your template and mantra, along with the mother drills, to ingrain your personal process, into something you can do without thinking. An accurate, repeatable and sustainable stroke process should be the goal of any poolplayer wishing to improve their game. Without that, any aiming method (CTE included) will have an inconsistent success rate.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member

I know that one! Saw a video about it on youtube with a big-name instructor/shooter doing it. It's actually pretty useful for fine-tuning and exposing minor flaws. I didn't think it would do much until I had a friend who just like to hit balls try it and I saw what happens when a bad stroke is used. Helped me be more alert when I did it. I ended up changing my stance because of this (and a few other things).

But yes, if I hadn't known what to look for and how to work that out, it would seem pointless.

More proof-positive that having drills isn't worth anything without knowing how to interpret the results.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
No offense dave, but without the measured template and mantra to go by, someone doesn't have any way to measure the results in the drills you provide. Not to say that they have less value...but they are not the Mother Drills.
Fair enough, but some of the drills linked on the page (from me and many others) do provide a means for tracking and monitoring performance and improvement. That is useful, as you imply.

Regards,
Dave

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

The term "Mother Drill" means the root or beginning, like Mom. Our Worldwide Family of SPF Instructors teach these drills to students along with Mantra & Templates. The seven seperate Mother Drills are designed to fix one part of your game at a time. Kinda like eating an Elephant.....SPF=randyg

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. This is what the OP asked for. He wants to know what they are. Didn't ask anything about how useful or of what benefit. All he wanted to know is what they are.

Sorry, you won't find the Mother Drills on Dr Daves pages.....SPF=randyg

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
No matter what drills you re talking about- there are thousands and more drills to see, watch and to download in the world-wide-web.
But each drill should have a sense and if played correctly it should end with a satisfying result.

That s what a qualified instructor can do for you- to show you how to play a drill correctly, what to pay attention for- only then it makes sense to play a drill!

I can let you play so many drills and each time i could expect another result- just shooting makes no sense at all:)

And Dave- i bet that here is not one forum-user who would would say just one negative word about you and your site- for pool-players who wanna improve their game and learn about pool it s a *must-see*!

But i m sure also, that also you wouldn t think it s serious to post a drill without beeing able to show the student how to play it correctly so that it makes sense for him. And each student is different and then you would have to explain different ways.

just my 2 cents,
lg from overseas
Ingo

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
is this to test for accidental English?

every MD except one has an obvious method for showing unintentional side spin..

but it is only the major function of one of them..

trust me the instruction will do you far more good than just knowing what the drills are.