How good was Keith McCready?

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
The people that I gambled with knew how good I was. I don't like to brag about myself, but I'm sure the players that I gambled with may be able to explain it better than me. The Mexicans used to call me "El Diablo."

I used to take the worst of it in games just to get 'em up there. Sometimes I would out-run it, and sometimes I wouldn't. I was winners a lot more than I was losers, trying to take those shots. Usually when I would take those shots, I'd be firing a toothpick at a lumber yard, unless I got staked. People always wanted to put me in the box, whether I had a tough game or not. Sometimes it would work out. :wink:

Keith,
Thanks for taking the time to share some of your stories.

Is there any shot that you would consider making a comeback to tournament pool? The U.S. Open and the DCC are right around the corner.
That would sure be something to get your juices going if you need a little jump start. Having you play online poker is like having Pablo Picaso wash windows.....or it's like instead of racing SeaBisquit, having him in a petting zoo! You're a gifted player with a personality that many fans gravitate to.
That poker site don't know that you're one of the most famous action-men who ever lived! In pooldom, you're known and appreciated. It's not really fair for me or anyone else to say how you should spend your days. It's YOUR life and your decision to make whether you return to pool or not.
But there are so many who would really enjoy seeing you compete again.

I remember the good old days when you were playing in the tournaments and JAM was giving some of the best tournament reports any of us have ever read. Lot's of behind the scenes goings on. I know those days can never be repeated. But to be able to have at least some of those times repeated would be a real treat for the railbirds.

Whatever you decide to do, you're wished nothing but the best from the fans who've enjoyed watching you compete! Good luck with whatever you do!

Anybody else here remember the reports that JAM used to post?

Anybody else here wish that Keith would play tournament pool again?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith,
Thanks for taking the time to share some of your stories.

Is there any shot that you would consider making a comeback to tournament pool? The U.S. Open and the DCC are right around the corner.
That would sure be something to get your juices going if you need a little jump start. Having you play online poker is like having Pablo Picaso wash windows.....or it's like instead of racing SeaBisquit, having him in a petting zoo! You're a gifted player with a personality that many fans gravitate to.
That poker site don't know that you're one of the most famous action-men who ever lived! In pooldom, you're known and appreciated. It's not really fair for me or anyone else to say how you should spend your days. It's YOUR life and your decision to make whether you return to pool or not.
But there are so many who would really enjoy seeing you compete again.

I remember the good old days when you were playing in the tournaments and JAM was giving some of the best tournament reports any of us have ever read. Lot's of behind the scenes goings on. I know those days can never be repeated. But to be able to have at least some of those times repeated would be a real treat for the railbirds.

Whatever you decide to do, you're wished nothing but the best from the fans who've enjoyed watching you compete! Good luck with whatever you do!

Anybody else here remember the reports that JAM used to post?

Anybody else here wish that Keith would play tournament pool again?

You're always so kind with your words, Terry. You truly are an asset to this forum. I am sure everybody agrees with me here that you are always like a ray of sunshine and a breath of fresh air with every post. :)

I kind of miss the tournament trail myself, and we sure did have fun. I can remember racing up to the hotel room after midnight, posting on this forum with the latest pool smut at the events we were at. I have met some absolutely wonderful pool folk in this regard.

Keith got a chuckle out of the Seabiscuit and Pablo description. He hasn't been hitting 'em in recent times and doesn't feel comfortable going to the big tournaments after taking so long a hiatus from pool without practicing for a few months to get in stroke. Barry Behrman did call him up and personally invite him to the Open this year. I'm not sure what they talked about, but I do know Keith told him he couldn't make it, maybe next year.

The "other" thread has really bummed me out, Terry, and I'm not sure how I feel about pool in general anymore. I mean, what's the sense in playing at these tournaments? Sure, it's fun to hang out and party with pool peeps, but that's really what these tournaments represent to me today.

The seeds are made for a handful of American pros who are sponsored and/or can afford to attend events. The Europeans sometimes get byes because they have to travel so far. It's just not a level playing field for all, the way it should be, in some venues, with the one exception of the Joss Tour. No favoritism there for sure.

The pool press -- well, I guess I better not go there, but I can't wait until I have my say in print.

I know Keith misses pool a lot, and your words really made him feel like a million bucks, Terry. I wish some of the pool purists responsible for some happenings could see pool with your eyes.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I've seen the main "king of the hill" table turn into a 1 on 1 gambling match of high enough stake a few times over the years.

I haven't. Not in the last 16 years, anyway. Granted, I'm not in the pit 24/7, but what I have seen is players that started in the main pit go to a side table to play a long ahead set, or whatever i.e. Matt Clatterbuck and Mike Painter, etc.

Thing is, there is a line of ppl waiting to play, on the main table. That crowd aint gonna allow 2 ppl to monopolize the main action table, when theyh can easily go to a side table, somewhere.

Funny thing about Jamison and his "wild story"...Jamison has gone silent about it. Not only that, but the two ppl that would ABSOLUTELY know whether Jamison's story was a figment of his imagination, have posted on this thread. I didn't want to drag Jennie into it, but she would know. The years that Keith spent time at VF, Jennie was the one to handle the cash.

Even though Jamison's "tale" is one that Keith is very capable of pulling off, I still have my doubts.

Eric >thinks Jamison is telling fibs

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't. Not in the last 16 years, anyway. Granted, I'm not in the pit 24/7, but what I have seen is players that started in the main pit go to a side table to play a long ahead set, or whatever i.e. Matt Clatterbuck and Mike Painter, etc.

Thing is, there is a line of ppl waiting to play, on the main table. That crowd aint gonna allow 2 ppl to monopolize the main action table, when theyh can easily go to a side table, somewhere.

Funny thing about Jamison and his "wild story"...Jamison has gone silent about it. Not only that, but the two ppl that would ABSOLUTELY know whether Jamison's story was a figment of his imagination, have posted on this thread. I didn't want to drag Jennie into it, but she would know. The years that Keith spent time at VF, Jennie was the one to handle the cash.

Even though Jamison's "tale" is one that Keith is very capable of pulling off, I still have my doubts.

Eric >thinks Jamison is telling fibs

I can say with 100-percent assuredness that I was in Keith's vicinity for all action games at VF, with one exception, and that's when Jamison played Keith at Allen and Dawn's party on Sunday night at the conclusion of the SBE. I know they both played there. They also could have played each other on the action tables during the event, but I can't remember that. There were so many people challenging and racking. LOL

At the action pit one year, though, Keith did hold the action table for 27 consecutive games. In fact, I believe he did this two or three times, subject to check on the amounts. All three were 20-somethings. I don't mean to say that he ran racks 27 times, but that he won 27 games in a row.

We came home with five figures that year. :grin-square:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I can say with 100-percent assuredness that I was in Keith's vicinity for all action games at VF, with one exception, and that's when Jamison played Keith at Allen and Dawn's party on Sunday night at the conclusion of the SBE. I know they both played there. They also could have played each other on the action tables during the event, but I can't remember that. There were so many people challenging and racking. LOL

At the action pit one year, though, Keith did hold the action table for 27 consecutive games. In fact, I believe he did this two or three times, subject to check on the amounts. All three were 20-somethings. I don't mean to say that he ran racks 27 times, but that he won 27 games in a row.

We came home with five figures that year. :grin-square:

I think I remember that, Jen. I think it was Ronniw Wiseman that finally knocked Keith out of the box.

The thing with Jamisons tale is that he stated that Keith beat the *same person* for 27 straight games i.e. "the opponent/same guy only had one shot in 34 games..." and, as you know, Jen, is not how VF works.

Eric

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I remember that, Jen. I think it was Ronniw Wiseman that finally knocked Keith out of the box.

The thing with Jamisons tale is that he stated that Keith beat the *same person* for 27 straight games i.e. "the opponent only had two shots in 27 games..." and, as you know, Jen, is not how VF works.

Eric

Eric, I just asked Keith, and he said it happened like this. It could be that I was so busy standing in line getting beers that I must have missed the count. :angry:

He said he ran 10 racks one time and 11 racks another time during one action game session. He said he busted the game up on a Friday night as well as a Saturday night. :eek:

Man, I hated standing in line for those damn beers. :(

The same year, Shannon and Keith split 1st and 2nd monies on the pro am tournament. They still played for the win. I really wanted that trophy, and for some reason, Allen didn't have a second-place trophy that year. I wanted the trophy more than the cheese. LOL

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Eric, I just asked Keith, and he said it happened like this. It could be that I was so busy standing in line getting beers that I must have missed the count. :angry:

He said he ran 10 racks one time and 11 racks another time during one action game session. He said he busted the game up on a Friday night as well as a Saturday night. :eek:

Man, I hated standing in line for those damn beers. :(

Jennie, I'm pretty sure I was there when Keith busted up the main action table.

I was saying that Jamison's story about Keith beating the *same guy* for 34 straight games, wit hthe other guy only shooting once in 34 games, is pretty far fetched. Not that Keith isnt capable, just that it didnt happen with a list of ppl waiting to get in the box and play "bet on the racker/ bet the breaker". That guy would have went to the end of the list, to get another crack at Keith.

Eric

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was saying that Jamison's story about Keith beating the *same guy* for 34 straight games, wit hthe other guy only shooting once in 34 games, is pretty far fetched. Not that Keith isnt capable, just that it didnt happen with a list of ppl waiting to get in the box and play "bet on the racker/ bet the breaker". That guy would have went to the end of the list, to get another crack at Keith.

Eric

Oh, I see your point; in other words, there was a LIST at the action table with multiple challengers. If somebody got knocked out by Keith, they might have to way 20 games before they got up again.

Check out this trophy. I was so pissed that Shannon won. Don't get me wrong. I love Shannon Daulton to death. Before they played, we were all outside smoking cigarettes discussing the possibility of a saver. The first and second place monies were really far off. I can't remember now what they were, but it was like $8,000 first and $2,500 for second. Allen added two or three dimes at the last minute to first-place prize monies.

Though Keith's eyes were on the cheese, mine were on that beautiful trophy, dag nab it. So I said to Shannon, "I want you guys to duke it out on the field of green, and may the best man win, but I really want that trophy." Shannon replied, "Yeah, me, too. That would look really nice with my collection. That's the most beautiful trophy I've ever seen." Well, I knew right then and there that me getting my hands on this trophy was now in Keith's little paws.

As it turned out, the winner is the one on the right, smiling proudly as he holds his trophy in this picture. :eek::wink::):grin-square:

Attachments

• Keith_and_Shannon_2005_SBE[1].jpg
    Keith_and_Shannon_2005_SBE[1].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,113

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
OK Eric. lets just save us both the time, and effort. From this point I know that whatever I say you are going to consider it a lie. From this point you should know I don't care what you think. There problem solved. Have a nice day. :smile:

I just read it and I guess everyone is under the impression that I said it is the same guy playing every game...I guess I wrote something wrong no lies though. It was not the same guy playing every game.

(figuratively everyone that played that day could have been named loser)

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
OK Eric. lets just save us both the time, and effort. From this point I know that whatever I say you are going to consider it a lie. From this point you should know I don't care what you think. There problem solved. Have a nice day. :smile:

Just keepin it real, Jamison.

Besides, it's the Internet, you can say/be whatever you want.

Eric >is a 15 year old girl scout

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
The people that I gambled with knew how good I was. I don't like to brag about myself, but I'm sure the players that I gambled with may be able to explain it better than me. The Mexicans used to call me "El Diablo."

I used to take the worst of it in games just to get 'em up there. Sometimes I would out-run it, and sometimes I wouldn't. I was winners a lot more than I was losers, trying to take those shots. Usually when I would take those shots, I'd be firing a toothpick at a lumber yard, unless I got staked. People always wanted to put me in the box, whether I had a tough game or not. Sometimes it would work out. :wink:

You don't have to tell me anything - I know why they called you that - in fact they still talk about how you tore up the tables here in El Paso (and Juarez) almost 15 years ago. When that was happening, many of us were telling everybody the stories of how well you played 15 years before that.

I've told you this before, I think you're the best pure money player that ever graced the table (any size table - before, since, or past). I still think you could go out there and dominate again if you wanted to.

IMO, that's how good you are.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eric

DOOD.................... lighten up, and enjoy the stories. Whether it's fact or fact based fiction isn't really that important. :eek:k:

td

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
DOOD.................... lighten up, and enjoy the stories. Whether it's fact or fact based fiction isn't really that important. :eek:k:

td

Yeah that^^^ Ive heard the same stories told a hundred different ways but their all great in their own littel ways.

The stories of the matches... Highjacks... Robberies (on the table).. Women.. Championships all cause a high level of drama and talk.

I wouldnt have it any other way :grin:

patmoran

Registered
Just wondering how Keith did with his matches against Mark Tadd and Dennis Hatch. At the LA Open in '93 I overheard a young Dennis Hatch talking excitedly with friends about an upcoming matchup. I heard later that Hatch went through HardTimes and cleaned up. Mark Tadd had numerous sesions with keith. Just curious if anyone can shed any light on who came out ahead in these matchups.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've told you this before, I think you're the best pure money player that ever graced the table (any size table - before, since, or past). I still think you could go out there and dominate again if you wanted to.

IMO, that's how good you are.

Jack, best pure money player, first came Ronnie Allen, then Keith then St. Louie.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering how Keith did with his matches against Mark Tadd and Dennis Hatch. At the LA Open in '93 I overheard a young Dennis Hatch talking excitedly with friends about an upcoming matchup. I heard later that Hatch went through HardTimes and cleaned up. Mark Tadd had numerous sesions with keith. Just curious if anyone can shed any light on who came out ahead in these matchups.

Thread about Mark Tadd: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=75367

Hatch was too young to play Keith when Keith was in his prime; however, the two of them did go on the road together. The activities were horrendous and can't be posted on this forum, but you can be sure they'll be published sine die in vivid detail. :wink:

Keith thinks very highly of Dennis. :smile:

Attachments

• 2006 Joss-Turning Stone-February 009.JPG
    2006 Joss-Turning Stone-February 009.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,008

upstateAL

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jamison

Coming from a Trickshot Champion and knowing jamison he is telling you the truth eric, and nothing to gain from this.I know Keith and had watched some 7 and 8 packs he was putting on people like you were changing socks. just mention Keiths name and some players shake like they are caught up in a EarthQuake lol Great Story Jamison But not first i heard about Keith.
He did this on a regular bases such a natural player and would love to travel with him and jenny again.

upstateAL. :grin:

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wiseman is still out hustling. Last I saw he was down in FL.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott, it's true that Ronnie is an action man for sure. :grin-square:

He also is a tournament soldier and follows the tournament trail. I see his name in many tournaments today. In fact, I think he competed in the recent Joss/Turning Stone event, if memory serves me right. :p

I remember when he played in the BCA Open when it was in North Carolina. He made the finals and was so proud. He actually got a little bit emotional when speaking about his excitement at making it to the end of the tournament. It was actually quite sweet to see an old road warrior show a little bit of emotion.

Just because a guy hustles doesn't make him a bad guy. Nobody thinks poorly about Hall of Famers Buddy Hall or Efren Reyes, knowing that they, in fact, were out there hustling. I mean, who can forget Cesar Morales. :thumbup: