Best "Celibraty" Pool Player?

Pangit

Banned
Woody Allen seems to "appreciate" 3 cushion? Tom Cruise is "cross handed" not ambidextrous as is wildly reported by media, big difference. Jackie Gleason knew his way around the table...as legend has it.

Joe Rogan aini't bad sans Fear Factor.

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
Woody Allen seems to "appreciate" 3 cushion? Tom Cruise is "cross handed" not ambidextrous as is wildly reported by media, big difference. Jackie Gleason knew his way around the table...as legend has it.

Might want to use the search function on this topic. Its been done quite a few times at length and the threads should contain the discussion you're looking for.

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
Back in 91-92', The cast of Freejack...Mick Jagger, Emilio Estevez, and Rene Russo had a private Party at Buckhead Billiards for the cast and crew of the movie being filmed in Atlanta. My GF at the time managed the hall, and I worked the door...
It was a real blast being around such an icon as Mick...whose 8ball game on an eight footer wasn't bad at all...

Coolest part of the whole ordeal? The owner of Buckhead Billiards let my GF pay cash for his tab...and let her keep his American Express CC receipt!! She ended up framing a large picture taken with him at the time, and had the picture framed with the CC receipt below the picture...It was awesome!!
Mick's game was better than the movie, but not as good as his creative abilities behind the microphone LOL...
Clint

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I gave a series of lessons to the person who bought Woody Allen's townhouse in Manhattan. He was thrilled that he got Woody to leave the pool table and equipment. He said everything was just the way Woody left it. I was impressed when I saw Simonis 860, the well cared for house cues and the way the chalk was worn flat --- and the Centennial balls. The new resident told me that Woody was an avid player. Judging by what he left behind, I believe it.

I can't remember Joe Rogan's game, so with that in mind, the best celebrity player I'd ever seen was Jerry Orbach. That man could play and he understood the game. Paul Sorvino came in a close second.

Friends who I knew that used to hang out with Jackie Gleason told me that he was just a fair player with a big ego. After he made it in show biz, he'd occasionally come back to the old neighborhood to hang out with the guys for a night and shoot pool. They used to let him win because he'd throw a temper tantrum if he didn't. And he always stuck them with the table time and never even sprang for a cup of coffee.

Last edited:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Woody Allen's table

Fran, I was under the impression that this was a CAROMS table. I saw him trying to play that game (straight-rail yet) at a room near the old Mr. Kelly's here in Chicago; he later bragged, if you can call it bragging, that he was probably the world's worst billiards player who had his own table.

As far as celebs go, Jack Albertson had WAY better fundamentals than Jerry Orbach, and was much more convincing in portraying an expert player (he did so on both "Gunsmoke" and "Ironside". GF

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Vartan is by far the best celebrity pool player I ever saw...at least he was in the late 90's, I don't know if he still plays. He ran 62 balls at Amsterdam Billiards and 14.1 wasn't his game at all. In 9 ball he was probably a B+ or A- player, he could string racks fairly effortlessly.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think currently Joe Rogan is the top player among celebs.

I spoke to Johnny Depp about 2-3 months ago(I didnt know it was him the first half of the conversation), I saw his old B-Wick table and Stickily player chairs in AAA Billiards in Beverly Hills just before they went to do the installation of it in his house. He said he dont play often anymore.

Peter Falk (Coloumbo) could play, so could James Garner. I been to Sza Sza Gabor's house and played on a table there, story is she bought the house from Elvis, it has a 100 yr old B-Wick on the 2nd floor. I never met her, she stays down stairs, Fredrick her husband is a friend, he cant play.

I was at dinner at Wayne Newtons house when I lived 4-5 houses down from him he showed me a Huebler cue and box case with ivory inlayed letters ""For the "Great One'" on the box case. Cue was new un chalked. It was built for Jackie Gleason who gave it to Wayne at his wedding, Wayne wanted to give it to me(I could tell), but his wife stopped that, because it was a wedding gift. Wayne has the "Red Room" google it, man there is more stuff in there, Elvis guitars, Jackie Gleason's solid gold cigarette lighter, Rat Pack stuff, Bob Hope Etc.

They are building a meusieum with it all. I asked Wayne(when his whife wasnt looking) if I could have first dibs on the cue as I would NEVER sell it. Wayne is so nice, of all the celebs I ever met I get along with him the best, we are very very similar. Except I cant sing, LOL. He did give me a tassle from one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, he goes there yearly for the troops and the General/Admireal??? gave him 2 of them, Wayne said "I cant take this its property of Iraq", the Officer said "Dont worry about it". Its amazing blue/white silk rope/tassel 18" long.

Back to the topic, Joe Rogan is the best living celeb player in America. In England the Snooker players are Celebs and our champions should be as well.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Vartan is by far the best celebrity pool player I ever saw...at least he was in the late 90's, I don't know if he still plays. He ran 62 balls at Amsterdam Billiards and 14.1 wasn't his game at all. In 9 ball he was probably a B+ or A- player, he could string racks fairly effortlessly.

I second Vartan. I was there when he ran the 62 balls, and yes he wasn't really a straight pool player. Even after he ran the 62 he didn't seem to care. He was also a very good bank pool player.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think currently Joe Rogan is the top player among celebs.

I spoke to Johnny Depp about 2-3 months ago(I didnt know it was him the first half of the conversation), I saw his old B-Wick table and Stickily player chairs in AAA Billiards in Beverly Hills just before they went to do the installation of it in his house. He said he dont play often anymore.

Peter Falk (Coloumbo) could play, so could James Garner. I been to Sza Sza Gabor's house and played on a table there, story is she bought the house from Elvis, it has a 100 yr old B-Wick on the 2nd floor. I never met her, she stays down stairs, Fredrick her husband is a friend, he cant play.

I was at dinner at Wayne Newtons house when I lived 4-5 houses down from him he showed me a Huebler cue and box case with ivory inlayed letters ""For the "Great One'" on the box case. Cue was new un chalked. It was built for Jackie Gleason who gave it to Wayne at his wedding, Wayne wanted to give it to me(I could tell), but his wife stopped that, because it was a wedding gift. Wayne has the "Red Room" google it, man there is more stuff in there, Elvis guitars, Jackie Gleason's solid gold cigarette lighter, Rat Pack stuff, Bob Hope Etc.

They are building a meusieum with it all. I asked Wayne(when his whife wasnt looking) if I could have first dibs on the cue as I would NEVER sell it. Wayne is so nice, of all the celebs I ever met I get along with him the best, we are very very similar. Except I cant sing, LOL. He did give me a tassle from one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, he goes there yearly for the troops and the General/Admireal??? gave him 2 of them, Wayne said "I cant take this its property of Iraq", the Officer said "Dont worry about it". Its amazing blue/white silk rope/tassel 18" long.

Back to the topic, Joe Rogan is the best living celeb player in America. In England the Snooker players are Celebs and our champions should be as well.

What are some of Joe's accomplishments on the pool table? What's his best game?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've seen a bunch of playing pictures of movie stars.

Paul Newman and Clint Eastwood look like they need serious weight.

Al Pacino and Christopher Walken look like they can run out.....
...anybody know how they play?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Celebrity Pool Players

Never heard of Michael Vartan, and Joe Rogan was just a host on a show.

My vote goes to Jerry Orbach (Law and Order). Even though he died, we will still be seeing him shoot a few shots on Law and Order reruns 25 years from now.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comedian David "Sticks" Brenner may be remembered for his many appearances on "The Tonight Show" when Johnny Carson was host. In fact, Brenner was Johnny's most frequent guest during Carson's 30 years as host.

Brenner brought his lifetime love of pool from his hometown of Philadelphia to New York City. He created what was once the fabulous pool hall and Manhattan hotspot as co-owner of Amsterdam Billiards. :smile:

Amsterdam in its original Manhattan home on the Upper West Side on Amsterdam Avenue featured a back room available for private functions, with a unique table inside. Built specially from a custom design, its construction was almost entirely from transparent acrylic. One estimate placed the table's value at more than $25,000. :cool:

The fun part came when the balls slid along the ball returns after sinking. You could watch them roll below the playing surface. :grin:

For the young'ns who may not know or have ever heard of him, David Brenner helped revive pool, creating New York pool chic at a time when pool had nearly disappeared from Manhattan. ;)

Here's David Brenner holding his own with Loree Jon [then-Jones], who at the time of the shooting was ranked number one on the WPBA: Brenner vs. Jones.

FWIW, David Brenner left public life when his ex-wife tried to prevent him from being involved in his child's life. He created an organization to help preserve the rights of fathers and became a strong advocate. He gave up his celebrity status for family. Good man! :smile:

Attachments

• BrennerNew110223114534.jpg
    BrennerNew110223114534.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,642

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, I was under the impression that this was a CAROMS table. I saw him trying to play that game (straight-rail yet) at a room near the old Mr. Kelly's here in Chicago; he later bragged, if you can call it bragging, that he was probably the world's worst billiards player who had his own table.

As far as celebs go, Jack Albertson had WAY better fundamentals than Jerry Orbach, and was much more convincing in portraying an expert player (he did so on both "Gunsmoke" and "Ironside". GF

George, Maybe Woody owned more than one house. The one I saw was definitely his. The table was a repro of an old Brunswick and it was a beauty. My client paid the paltry sum of 25 mil for the house. Yikes.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
and Joe Rogan was just a host on a show.

He is also the face of UFC and a very accomplished stand up comedian. Sounds like your a comedian yourself...

And for the record, from what I saw, Joe can play pretty sporty. Probably beat the 9ball ghost.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Comedian David "Sticks" Brenner may be remembered for his many appearances on "The Tonight Show" when Johnny Carson was host. In fact, Brenner was Johnny's most frequent guest during Carson's 30 years as host.

Brenner brought his lifetime love of pool from his hometown of Philadelphia to New York City. He created what was once the fabulous pool hall and Manhattan hotspot as co-owner of Amsterdam Billiards. :smile:

Amsterdam in its original Manhattan home on the Upper West Side on Amsterdam Avenue featured a back room available for private functions, with a unique table inside. Built specially from a custom design, its construction was almost entirely from transparent acrylic. One estimate placed the table's value at more than $25,000. :cool:

The fun part came when the balls slid along the ball returns after sinking. You could watch them roll below the playing surface. :grin:

For the young'ns who may not know or have ever heard of him, David Brenner helped revive pool, creating New York pool chic at a time when pool had nearly disappeared from Manhattan. ;)

Here's David Brenner holding his own with Loree Jon [then-Jones], who at the time of the shooting was ranked number one on the WPBA: Brenner vs. Jones.

FWIW, David Brenner left public life when his ex-wife tried to prevent him from being involved in his child's life. He created an organization to help preserve the rights of fathers and became a strong advocate. He gave up his celebrity status for family. Good man! :smile:

He was always one of my favorite comedians. I had always wondered what happened to him. Great story, thanks for sharing!!

Lisa

jkblbsl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reportedly - Frederick Austerlitz , aka Fred Astaire, was a very accomplished player.