Best "Celibraty" Pool Player?

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
You're talking about Mark Kendall, the lead guitarist for Great White. He is a good player, B+ to A- speed. I love my man Joe but he is not the same speed as Mark. Manny Paquiao is a decent player, but also a speed or two under Mark. I used to play Jerry Orbach in New York before he was famous. We called him Jerry "The Actor" around the poolroom. He was one of the guys we LOOKED for if you know what I mean. A damn nice guy though!

i played mark 12 years ago or so.
and he does play good.
i have to say he would be the best for this thread.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My other love in addition to Pocket Billards is MMA I dont know how much you guys keep up with mma however there is a fighter named Ken shamrock and he is phenomenal at pool.

here is a short video of him destroying another fighter at pool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhxAzAXLCk

Although he is a great fighter, he is not phenomenal at pool. Thanks for the video though, it was fun to watch. Welcome to the forums.

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
Vartan is a blondish actor, starred in the tv shows Alias and Hawthorne and has been in many movies.

Yes and according to his IMDB bio he "Wanted to be a professional pool player before deciding to act instead. He played pool 12 hours a day, for 5 years."

Money wise I think he made the right choice. I think he would be a great candidate to play Eddie if they remade The Hustler.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure who this Fatboy person is, but he sounds like a name dropper

talked with Johnny Depp the other day, was over at Wayne Newton's house, at Zsa Zsa's house. Don't know what any of that had to do with who was the best celebrity pool player, sounds like it gave you a chance to make yourself important whoever your are.

I ran into a guy from a rock group in California (Mark something)and he played lights out. The guy said he was on MTV and was touring with Metallica and Kiss. (That's the definition of a celebrity) Now we have to define a player. He was running 2's 3's (at Hardtimes) and even a 4 and played flawless safeties. The sets he was playing were $500 and 1000 15 years ago so it wasn't chump change for a race to 7.

He is the best celebrity pool player. I don't think they sell out stadium places anymore, but overall if you put all those celebrity people mentioned and have them bet it up, he comes out on top. Rogan doesn't even come close.

Also there are numerous NBA players who play very well and will bet it up.

No i'm not a name dropper, my cred is legit. I live in Bev Hills and been around a long time. I have a friend who ownes a tattoo shop who caters to lots of big "names", i owned a radio show for years in the boxing/ufc world so i know those guys. And I have $$$, which i'm very lucky and that geives me access to things that I might not otherwise have access too.

my post is real and factual, it wasnt name dropping. I just spoke about everything I know about pool and famous people. If you want me to prove what I said I can and will. There is a thread here on AZ about famous ppl you have met/know-I have a much linger post there, and thats only what i can remember, I dont care if someone is famous, i look at it like this they have a job that puts their name out thee-better them than me.

Coincendentally last night at the tattoo the guy who plays drums for the Stray Cats Slim Jim Phantom came in to talk to the tatoo artist working on me, I have met Slim Jim 5-6 times there, we were talking about snooker and Alex Higgens who won in Sheffield in 81 or 82, which appealed to all the punk bands of that era and how after that it set up the stage for steve davis to take snooker to another level, but Alex made snooker cool with all the hipsters. Jim knows snooker real well, I didnt know about that, but Higgens(not John Higgens who is beating the world now) was friends with all the rock stars and would go party with them, and thats why to this day he is one of the most loved snooker players of all times. I think he only had one at Sheffield once, he liked to party too much. Until last night I didnt know this. it was cool to hear Jim talk of the earily 80's punk music/snooker relationship.

sorry for name dropping again but thats a honest to God story from last night at Shamrock Tattoos, go to youtube and watch the videos of Mark Mahoney at Shamrock social club and see for your self, I been hanging out there for years. I also eat at "The Ivey" and Spago in Bev Hills. Lots of famous people everywhere all the time 99% of the time I never talk to them.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played mark 12 years ago or so.
and he does play good.
i have to say he would be the best for this thread.

you know I was thinking of him I just couldnt remember his name, I think he mite play better than Joe. Last time I saw him play in about 94 he played stronger than Joe does now. I never met him or spoke to him, Good point Jay.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I thought I read somewhere Gleason had a 14.1 high run in the low 60s. If thats true he has to be one of the better celebs. Mark Kendall had some booshit on this board I thought where he was owing someone something. To the u12armwrestl guy. Oh the az drama..

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good thread thx.
Wasn't there a baseball player who did some events? Kirby Pucket maybe.
Not sure. anyway I always wanted to get a game with Jackie g.
Fatboy, damn.
steven

It was Kirby that did some fundraising pool events and I had the pleasure of being a referee at one of them. While Kirby was a great guy and very approachable I can assure you while being the best "player" of the celebrities there, he wasn't very good at all. At one point I had Ken Griffey Jr move his cueball behind the headstring to break and he said, "Man you are cold!"

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
BS meter is off the chart

Hey, be a lil respectful, will ya?

You may not know Fran, but she knows what she is talking about, when it comes to Pool. For that matter, if you are talking about NYC area poolplayers, especially those that lived here, she DEFINITELY knows what she is talking about. Trust me. One day, you realize how silly your comment was.

Eric

RoryHunt

The King of "so close."
Silver Member
I also eat at "The Ivey" and Spago in Bev Hills. Lots of famous people everywhere all the time 99% of the time I never talk to them.

99.9% of the time, they never talk to me either....lol. I prefer to think I am too imposing for them to approach, as opposed to the truth which is that they have no idea who I am....lol.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think currently Joe Rogan is the top player among celebs.

I spoke to Johnny Depp about 2-3 months ago(I didnt know it was him the first half of the conversation), I saw his old B-Wick table and Stickily player chairs in AAA Billiards in Beverly Hills just before they went to do the installation of it in his house. He said he dont play often anymore.

Peter Falk (Coloumbo) could play, so could James Garner. I been to Sza Sza Gabor's house and played on a table there, story is she bought the house from Elvis, it has a 100 yr old B-Wick on the 2nd floor. I never met her, she stays down stairs, Fredrick her husband is a friend, he cant play.

I was at dinner at Wayne Newtons house when I lived 4-5 houses down from him he showed me a Huebler cue and box case with ivory inlayed letters ""For the "Great One'" on the box case. Cue was new un chalked. It was built for Jackie Gleason who gave it to Wayne at his wedding, Wayne wanted to give it to me(I could tell), but his wife stopped that, because it was a wedding gift. Wayne has the "Red Room" google it, man there is more stuff in there, Elvis guitars, Jackie Gleason's solid gold cigarette lighter, Rat Pack stuff, Bob Hope Etc.

They are building a meusieum with it all. I asked Wayne(when his whife wasnt looking) if I could have first dibs on the cue as I would NEVER sell it. Wayne is so nice, of all the celebs I ever met I get along with him the best, we are very very similar. Except I cant sing, LOL. He did give me a tassle from one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, he goes there yearly for the troops and the General/Admireal??? gave him 2 of them, Wayne said "I cant take this its property of Iraq", the Officer said "Dont worry about it". Its amazing blue/white silk rope/tassel 18" long.

Back to the topic, Joe Rogan is the best living celeb player in America. In England the Snooker players are Celebs and our champions should be as well.

I see this is an old post but I can't help myself...

Fatboy - you and I must be very similar too because I have heard that I'm just like Tom Brady. Add that to the fact that a friend of a friend told me that Tom Brady is just like Wayne Newton. Actually, he told me they had nearly identical personalities. So, you add two and two together and you and I are two peas in a pod.

Please tell me you were really good friends with Robert Goulet too. That would make my month.
:grin:

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently Mark from the band whitesnake he can dab em a highly underrated player from days gone by was james garner. Best overseas celebritiy is the sultan's son who played in a few wpa events people said he couldnt play but and was there because of his status but he can defintly play

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not so sure this was so smart. This one post alone kinda proves tommy's point.

thats why i said it, i was just busting balls, go easy man...sometimes a little ribbing is cool. hope you well.

best

eric:smile:

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Huck,

Mark is in Great White, not Whitesnake. He's the guy Bart and Jay are talking about..... Mark plays run out pool and is for sure the best celeb player.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I was just invited to put together a USO show for the troops, and they want celebrity's that play pool...If anyone of you know one of these "stars", and said star would like to play pool with some troops on a USO tour let me know.

I do know who Ken Shamrock is he was my favorite fighter when UFC first got big in the 90's. The best fight I ever saw was Shamrock vs. Gracie, it went on for 30 min with no winner. Best fight ever filmed for sure!!

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I do know who Ken Shamrock is he was my favorite fighter when UFC first got big in the 90's. The best fight I ever saw was Shamrock vs. Gracie, it went on for 30 min with no winner. Best fight ever filmed for sure!!

Not even remotely close to best fight ever filmed.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I disagree Eric...

I think currently Joe Rogan is the top player among celebs.

I spoke to Johnny Depp about 2-3 months ago(I didnt know it was him the first half of the conversation), I saw his old B-Wick table and Stickily player chairs in AAA Billiards in Beverly Hills just before they went to do the installation of it in his house. He said he dont play often anymore.

Peter Falk (Coloumbo) could play, so could James Garner. I been to Sza Sza Gabor's house and played on a table there, story is she bought the house from Elvis, it has a 100 yr old B-Wick on the 2nd floor. I never met her, she stays down stairs, Fredrick her husband is a friend, he cant play.

I was at dinner at Wayne Newtons house when I lived 4-5 houses down from him he showed me a Huebler cue and box case with ivory inlayed letters ""For the "Great One'" on the box case. Cue was new un chalked. It was built for Jackie Gleason who gave it to Wayne at his wedding, Wayne wanted to give it to me(I could tell), but his wife stopped that, because it was a wedding gift. Wayne has the "Red Room" google it, man there is more stuff in there, Elvis guitars, Jackie Gleason's solid gold cigarette lighter, Rat Pack stuff, Bob Hope Etc.

They are building a meusieum with it all. I asked Wayne(when his whife wasnt looking) if I could have first dibs on the cue as I would NEVER sell it. Wayne is so nice, of all the celebs I ever met I get along with him the best, we are very very similar. Except I cant sing, LOL. He did give me a tassle from one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, he goes there yearly for the troops and the General/Admireal??? gave him 2 of them, Wayne said "I cant take this its property of Iraq", the Officer said "Dont worry about it". Its amazing blue/white silk rope/tassel 18" long.

Back to the topic, Joe Rogan is the best living celeb player in America. In England the Snooker players are Celebs and our champions should be as well.

Joe Rogan is a good player, but I'd bet that Mark Kendall from Great White would beat him pretty handily, (MarkGW here on the forums is his handle). He is the lead guitarist from Great White.

Jaden

edit: Sorry I didn't see all of the follow up posts talking about Mark before I responded to Eric...

Last edited: