AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowing when to capitalize

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse
and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And one of the first things I learned as a kid is when someone starts a thread like this they're actually venting about grammar etc because they are irritated about something in their real life.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
learned my lesson long ago, at no cost!

I usually post this story in these threads that come up several times a year about spelling and grammar.

Back in the 90's I was shooting benchrest so naturally I spent some time on the benchrest forum. There was a fine old gentleman there, an elder statesman of the game. He was one of the most knowledgeable in the world about shooting benchrest and also one of the most knowledgeable and finest handmade bullet makers in the world. It is no small feat to make jacketed bullets that will shoot one tenth of an inch groups. Machines can't do it as consistently as a man with an educated elbow can.

This gentleman's posts were readable but a bit embarrassing to read. His education level seemed to be around third grade, maybe a bit less. Spelling and grammar were consistently terrible! When I met him at a major shoot I found that he talked far better than he wrote. I also found out from a third party that not only was he a Phd, he was the head of one of the schools at an ivy league college! Was I forever glad I had never even jokingly disparaged his posting skills!

I never knew if he was hiding behind the uneducated appearing posts or simply couldn't be bothered to polish his posts. Regardless, he conveyed a tremendous amount of information without trying to put himself on a higher pedestal than we all were glad to put him on due to his knowledge in our niche sport and I am forever in his debt for several reasons.

You can't judge a book by it's cover or always a man by his posts!

Hu

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There once was a poster named Wags.
and upon our grammar he gags
so he gave us a lesson
with much condescension
me thinks he's the rear end of a nag's

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spelling is overrated the army does not to seem to care if I can't spell that's why we have spell check. They allready stopped cursive in school so I think spelling is next

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Threads like this are bound to discourage some really knowledgeable people from posting. Lighten up. This aint english 101, its pool talk.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wags,

I'm not a edyuomacated man. I don't have the papers. Passed English with flying colors but can't spell to save my a$$.

Always wanted to be a teacher but alas it wasn't in the stars. I did manage to become a trainer in one of my careers and shared a lot of knowledge with others throughout my life. Blue collar but closer to brown or gray. In some cases black.

I am however a history buff. Care to square off with a 9th grade drop out?

And I thought I was a curmudgeon.

Wags has not made any friends yet!

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... The people that fail out of college usually fail because of other problems in life that distract them. Not because the material is too hard. They might have a child, a drug problem, a family problem etc. ...

Ahhh.....hello......how about a POOL problem???

:thumbup:

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a serious note - this site has helped me a ton with my writing ability. Writing anything for me can be a painstaking task. Just learning to go with the flow and just typing whatever is on my mind has helped me to become a better writer. Well, maybe not a better writer but it's definitely not as difficult as it once was.

I bet I have a dangling participle or two in the above paragraph. If I knew what a participle was, I would correct it. Sorry about that.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Spelling is overrated the army does not to seem to care if I can't spell that's why we have spell check. They allready stopped cursive in school so I think spelling is next

I agree with you. I think we chould top pelling too. I mend WTF do w need pelen four? punkuatn ds ofve raked asky adimep fdoca asoeekj cjdielcme. aeo ,,,,,ie doodja fodle doodie jaeiadjcloe dowpehl. doeu aeeoepeh dhuebh eoldowa;enh eo983h ew993hr0v##@h21 aosc'#?

DeHouser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you teach?

I'm a social anthropologist by training, but I also dabble in sociology and political economy. I really enjoy teaching, sometimes to the detriment of my research projects, but very much to the service of my overall enjoyment of work and life. Now, if only there were time to play some pool...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I bet I have a dangling participle or two in the above paragraph. If I knew what a participle was, I would correct it. Sorry about that.

I don't know what one is either, but it sounds NASTY :embarrassed2:).

Maniac (flunked English AND Biology!!!)

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
And one of the first things I learned as a kid is when someone starts a thread like this they're actually venting about grammar etc because they are irritated about something in their real life.

He took second three years in a row in a spelling b contest which isn't bad ,but there where only 2 participants each year.:grin:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
" Tapper Roll"
Ok i see a lot of ppl saying this. "the cue has a little tapper roll" what the hell are you talking about???? If you roll a shaft and it wobbles, its warped.. the tapper of the shaft should not effect how it rolls in any way.. Once again the poster meant affect instead of effect. He is saying, Tapper roll will not affect how the shaft rolls. or The effect of tapper roll is nil.

A "tapper" is one who taps, like a tap dancer, or someone who taps kegs, or someone who can't keep their fingers still.
A "taper" is what you find on a shaft, going thicker to thinner.
:p

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Personally, I find the original post to be ridiculous.

This is a forum of people having different levels of education, different nationalities, different communication skills, and different levels of knowledge regarding the pool scene past and present. Hundreds of esteemed posters on this forum do not even count English as their first language.

Everybody does the best they can when it comes to managing their content and writing, and that's good enough for me.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Edukayshun is dum.

Attachments

• yoursign.jpg
    yoursign.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 157