Names from the past

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Rusty Brandameyer/ Velda Rose Hotel

Do the names David Nottingham or Rusty Brandameyer mean anything to anybody?

I remember Rusty Brandameyer, the first big tournament I ever went to was in Hot Springs,Arkansas at the Velda Rose Hotel back in 77, I was going to high school until 11:15 A:M then had Vo-Tech class in the afternoons, I skipped the Vo-Tech classes all that week and would ride up from my hometown about 80- 90 miles to watch.

Rusty was a young man himself at the time, prolly about 22 yrs., he played great pool from what I remember of him, that tournamnet had all the greats of the time playing in it, Buddy Hall, Richie Ambrose, Steve Cook, Steve Gumphreys, Larry Hubbard, Terry Bell, Louie Roberts, Mike Segal and lots other big name players from the time.

I do remember the players had a packed house every afternoon session and night sessions, whoever was running the tournament skipped town with the players up money and the added money, so since they had such big crowds watching all the sessions the players decided to chip in $100 each and finish out the tournament, that was pretty cool of them to do that.

I don't remember how Rusty finished, but he did play great pool.

I did see Rusty hustling around Dallas back in the early 80's but haven't seen him since.

David Harcrow

Last edited:

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
catpool9, Ridenour is now living just outside of Jericho Springs, Mo which is just outside of nowhere. ;) Up until a week ago, he was working at a manufacturing plant in Lamar, MO - got laid off. Still plays. I have a shaft of his in my case as he wanted me to see if I could slim it down some for him.

Sorry to hear about Buddy taking off like that. Maybe he was losing his mind - it happens.

Last edited:

oncue4u

14.1 to life
I remember Billy Ray when he was young and lived in San Jose.
Played shortstop speed. One time beat Keith out of 8k and lost it all
while sleeping with a hooker that night.
Was arrested when kicked out of a cowboy nightclub and tried to run over
one of the bouncers in the parking lot.
Heard he spent some time in prison in the '90's.

How about Jack Cooney? Haven't seen or heard about him lately.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Billy Ray when he was young and lived in San Jose.
Played shortstop speed. One time beat Keith out of 8k and lost it all
while sleeping with a hooker that night.
Was arrested when kicked out of a cowboy nightclub and tried to run over
one of the bouncers in the parking lot.
Heard he spent some time in prison in the '90's.

How about Jack Cooney? Haven't seen or heard about him lately.

It was 5 thousand. :grin-square:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8,000 in todays money lol

The only reason I mentioned it is Keith told me this earlier today, ironically, when Billy's name was brought up.

Keith was spotting him the 6-ball or 7-ball, and Billy beat him out of 5 dimes. Billy left the room and met up with a hooker who robbed him of all the money he won, so the story goes. :frown:

Billy returned to the pool room and was crying crocodile tears to Keith and then proceeded to try to bite Keith for 50 bucks. :eek:

Keith said no. :p

Easy come, easy go, as they say! ::grin-square:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Question for JAM

You're from the East Coast do you or Keith remember Jimmy Matz from Reading P.A.? Did Keith ever play him?

Thanks

Wedge

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're from the East Coast do you or Keith remember Jimmy Matz from Reading P.A.? Did Keith ever play him?

Thanks

Wedge

That doesn't ring a bell. If I saw his photo, I might recognize him. Keith did got to a few tournaments in Lancaster when the Scruggs Tour was in full force. Lots of good players in that neck of the woods for sure! :)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was George Michaels (from San Fran, nee Chicago) the good 9 ball player whose cue Hal broke after missing a ball. An incredulous George, didnt know what to do so he broke Hal's cue.

This has to be in the top 5 of all funny pool stories......:p

I am bad mouthing Freddy as he should have included it in his book. He has a ton of them but this one he should have included.

PRICELESS

ken

Tommy Joe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about some of the players I knew many years ago who have slipped into oblivion. Just wondering if anyone out there remembers any of these guys.
I can probably come up with a lot more, but these are just a few I was wondering about.

I remember Crazy Bruce. He came up to the Penthouse Billiards to play me and wound up playing my uncle straight pool instead. He lost. About half way through the game he was muttering, then screaming, "I knew it, I ****ing knew it!". When the game was over he punched himself in the head a few times, then got down under the table and banged his head against the bottom of it. I never saw him knock himself out, as I had heard from others, but I did not doubt it. I think he had a controlled insanity though. I talked with him a few years later. I don't think he really liked pool. I think he enjoyed playing and beating the crap out of people, but I don't think he enjoyed the pressure, and I can identify because I am the same. I start out whipping someone, I want them to roll over and die. When they don't, it's like, 'Uh oh, this is not what I wanted." I think Bruce fit into that mold. I could be wrong, but I talked with him some and I don't think he was cut out mentally for the game. I think he was an intelligent guy though whether or not he could read or write. But I didn't know him well as he hung out mainly at the Ye Billiard Den, a sort of West Coast New York hangout where all they did all day other than play was sit around talking about who made the best cue and how one famous player after another would do if matched up against whoever. I can identify with Bruce. I didn't punch myself in the head but have broken my fair share of cue sticks. I'm a good winner though. Also, let's not forget Tom Cosmo. I liked him a lot. He hung out at my poolroom, the Penthouse, because it was the only poolroom in town that would allow him to prance around the table with a bottle of wine in his back pocket. I saw almost everybody come through the Penthouse at one time of another.

TJ

TJ

DrawtheRock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy, Jay, and SJ Dick

Here were some California players that I havent seen in quite a bit. Any stories about then and where they are now?
Rusty Jones-- old timer that played in San Fancisco and heard would bet a ton-- dont think he is still around.
Little Buddy-- philipino I believe that played in San Jose in the 80's
Roy Futternick-- used to play pretty sporty in Sacramento
Vera Cruz-- very good mexican player that I watched play Cole last pocket 8 ball in San Francisco (mid 90's)- Cole won the first game and then quit him. Vera Cruz asked why are you quitting- you won...Cole replied... I have no business playing you last pocket 8 ball!! was hoping they would play nine ball but nothing else happened

DrawtheRock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi JAM,

Can you ask Keith if he every played Vera Cruz at all. I know he played most of the mexican champions in so cal and was wondered if he had any stories about Vera Cruz.

thanks

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy, Jay, and SJ Dick

Here were some California players that I havent seen in quite a bit. Any stories about then and where they are now?
Rusty Jones-- old timer that played in San Fancisco and heard would bet a ton-- dont think he is still around.
Vera Cruz-- very good mexican player that I watched play Cole last pocket 8 ball in San Francisco (mid 90's)- Cole won the first game and then quit him. Vera Cruz asked why are you quitting- you won...Cole replied... I have no business playing you last pocket 8 ball!! was hoping they would play nine ball but nothing else happened

Little Buddy - quit the game at a young age to get married and become a carpenter. I last saw him 20 years ago in Elsinor (Riverside County, Southern California). I got the impression he wasn't happily married. I would've liked to see him come back to the game.

Roy Futternick - I haven't seen him in many years. Someone told me he's dealing cards in Reno.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
This has to be in the top 5 of all funny pool stories......:p

I am bad mouthing Freddy as he should have included it in his book. He has a ton of them but this one he should have included.

PRICELESS

ken

I didn't forget to include it in my new one though, Ken.
Beard

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only reason I mentioned it is Keith told me this earlier today, ironically, when Billy's name was brought up.

Keith was spotting him the 6-ball or 7-ball, and Billy beat him out of 5 dimes. Billy left the room and met up with a hooker who robbed him of all the money he won, so the story goes. :frown:

Billy returned to the pool room and was crying crocodile tears to Keith and then proceeded to try to bite Keith for 50 bucks. :eek:

Keith said no. :p

Easy come, easy go, as they say! ::grin-square:

Billy could be a little abrasive. He came into The Golden Cue, outside of Los Angeles where I played, and beat me for a a little. I stuck around longer than I should have because he had funny, very stiff mechanics, and it took me a while to realize he did play pretty well.

After hours I went down to the original Hard Times in Costa Mesa and there he was, trying to match up with Keith. Keith ended up giving him the seven on the big table and he came over to me and asked if I wanted a piece. I declined and he told me how stupid I was. Nobody could give him the seven and I was throwing away money.

Keith drilled him.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
anyone know of "jim the harvard kid"/ed morgan??
met him in new orleans in the 1970s as he was passing thru
hustled in boston wearing a harvard shirt,was young looking .looked like an easy mark college kid so the story goes

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fatboy, Jay, and SJ Dick

Little Buddy quit pool many years ago. Roy is still up in Reno dealing craps. One of the smartest blackjack and dice players alive. He was barred from playing 21 up there, better to hire him. A damn good little player.
Vera Cruz is actually Sebastian Franco, a lifetime bar hustler. He lost an eye in a barroom tiff some years back but kept playing. He shows up occasionally at the BCA Nationals to hustle pool.