So I weighed my set of Aramith Pro Cups against the Cyclop Balls...

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a digital food scale so this is the most accurate scale in the world but it was able to tell me that every Cyclop ball came out to exactly 6.0 ounces while approximately half of the Pro Cup's came out to 5.9 - 6.0 ounces.

Not sure if this so make that big of a deal however it tells me that what Ken said on the stream about these balls having smaller tolerances in weight is true.

I still think these balls play more true but of course im a nobody LOL

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Thanks for the info, this is a good starting point.

If your scale can measure in grams it might give a better measurement of any differences between the balls.

The other thing to consider is how much use the Pro Cups had vs the Cyclops.

Use will affect the weight of the balls.

I used a digital food scale so this is the most accurate scale in the world but it was able to tell me that every Cyclop ball came out to exactly 6.0 ounces while approximately half of the Pro Cup's came out to 5.9 - 6.0 ounces.

Not sure if this so make that big of a deal however it tells me that what Ken said on the stream about these balls having smaller tolerances in weight is true.

I still think these balls play more true but of course im a no body LOL

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right good question. So Obviously the aramiths have been used much longer then the Cyclop balls, since they are new.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member

Myself, Steve Mcdonald and Adrian Wang, the owner of the Cyclops ball company weighed 2 NEW sets of balls in grams. The Cyclops were all around 169gms with a variance from 167-170 the cue ball was @170 gms. The Aramith balls varied from 165 to 169 gms.

red circle cue ball was 165
Measle - 167
Cyclops - 170

Overall VERY close. A slightly tighter tolerance on the Cyclops with the heaviest cue ball.

Ray

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My one year old set of Aramith Duramith Tournament Balls all weigh exactly 168 grams including that sets black logo cue ball. I use them every day on my Diamond Pro with the black mark making pockets. They have shown no marks, and I only polished them just the other day. My measles ball weighs 166 grams.

Dan

frigopie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it isn't that difficult to join 16 balls with 0g difference (if they want), they just can weigh them and make groups of balls with the same weight...

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other thing to consider is how much use the Pro Cups had vs the Cyclops.

Use will affect the weight of the balls.

Serious question...

How will use affect the weight of a set of balls?

Will they get lighter or heavier over time?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Knowing the weight is nice, but what material is it?

I saw more balls skid in my 11 days in Vegas than I've seen in 2 years in my home town pool hall. So...something is different...

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Knowing the weight is nice, but what material is it?

I saw more balls skid in my 11 days in Vegas than I've seen in 2 years in my home town pool hall. So...something is different...

If I remember correctly, from the interview with the rep. They are a different blend of phenolic more on the lines of the Brunswick Centenials.

I believe that someone said that they bought the formula form Brunswick but the rep said that they played around with the composition to get the colors to set up properly.

He said that there were comments about the balls playing lighter, but that was because they have a higher COR, which basically means that they are a bit bouncier.

Perhaps that is why the skids were more noticeable as perhaps they were enhanced in magnitude & not really in the actual number of skids.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, from the interview with the rep. They are a different blend of phenolic more on the lines of the Brunswick Centenials.

I believe that someone said that they bought the formula form Brunswick but the rep said that they played around with the composition to get the colors to set up properly.

He said that there were comments about the balls playing lighter, but that was because they have a higher COR, which basically means that they are a bit bouncier.

Perhaps that is why the skids were more noticeable as perhaps they were enhanced in magnitude & not really in the actual number of skids.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

Please get with Lou F. on this. He can correct the few but important mistakes in your post regarding the balls.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Please get with Lou F. on this. He can correct the few but important mistakes in your post regarding the balls.

Hi John,

I'm neither pro nor con. I was just trying to relay what I thought was accurate info.

What are the important mistake?

Best Regards & Wishes,
Rick

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Hi John,

I'm neither pro nor con. I was just trying to relay what I thought was accurate info.

What are the important mistake?

Best Regards & Wishes,
Rick

I will let Lou answer since he is the spokesperson for this brand on AZB and the watchman against "bad info" about the balls. :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure the scale is calibrated and use the grams scale because there are 28.375 grams to the ounce and therefore, any difference in weight is much more precise and accurately discernible. Gunpowder ballistics, pharmaceutical dosages, etc. are based upon grams and never ounces.....why.....because the grams scale is more precise.

Every ball in my Centennial set, made by Aramith but nonetheless called Brunswick, weighed within .05 grams tolerance of 168 grams, including the blue dot centennial cue ball. The Aramith Measles cue ball weighs 169 grams and matches really well with the weights of the Brunswick Centennial pool balls which also measured within .05" tolerance of 2.25" for every pool ball in the set, as well as did the Aramith Measles cue ball. That's pretty dam good in my book and rates better than two different sets of Raschig pool balls I was able to measure over the recent years.

Try retesting your pool balls but make sure to use the grams scale. The results should be still be good but just be prepared for weight differences that do not appear using the ounces scale for test purposes. You have to use the metric scale for genuinely accurate results.

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight of pool balls videos,,,,

If you guys are really interested,,,there are some clips on Youtube of ball weight comparrisons,,,,,,,,

Alan,,,,,,