Leonardo Andam- R.I.P

CanonShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Target Pool Champion!

I remember Kim davenport came out with target pool and it was televised and he was so pissed coz Dodong bullseyed Kim on every pattern. They both got to finals for the inventor himself to fall in the hands of a true Cue Ball Killer! RIP Dodong!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
May you rest in peace, Dodong. I'll miss the times that we were on the road playing for money and beating anybody and everybody who could hold a cue. Efren once confided in me that Dodong was the only player that they were not able to beat consistently during the days.

It's customary for every pool players from the Philippines to cut their teeth in Manila pool halls. If you can play and maintain your speed in Lucky 13 pool hall where Efren was the King, then you can play anywhere in the world!

Dodong put the fear of God into a lot of players. I honestly believe that Dodong was one of the greatest money players who ever lived.During his stay with me here in Northern Virginia, he once gave out the 2,5, and 7 to a local shortstop.I put up the money with much trepidation on my part because of the handicap that he was giving but he assured me that was not going to lose.

The guy was so terrified of Dodong that he missed two ducks sitting in front of the pocket. Dodong did not miss a shot all night long.

RIP Dodong!! We will miss you, my brother from another mother!!

Bill,

My condolences on the loss of your buddy!

Kd
Mike & Dennis Wilson

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
"The Rattlesnake"

RIP Dodong "The Rattlesnake" Andam.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP LEO - here's a little cool story about him. It was the late 90's and he COMPLETELY busted Baltimore! A match was lined up with our hometown hero - Cigar Tom. Tom was a champion, played them all, beat most and was in the true sense of the word - a true champion - broke dead even with Strickland in his prime no bs. Well Tom ALWAYS said he would play ANY living human with the 7 and sure enough when Andam was coming thru town a match was made. Tom was gonna get the 7. EVERYONE in Baltimore could not get their $$$ money out fast enough to bet on Tom. The match was scheduled to be played at the infamous Jack & Jills in Glen Burnie on the treacherous table 5. Race to 13, all bets were in; all on Tom. Hundreds of people there - standing room only. Heavy action. Once again ALL ON TOM. Everything was set, match ready to play, everyone there and ready to see the battle of our champion ready to ROB this road player. Match started, both players playing great. It was a race to 13 for xxxx $'s. CIGAR UP 10-2 or 10-3 ( sorry been a few years but 10-3 max ). Leo' s backers asked if anyone wanted to bet more. OF COURSE WE DID! EVERYONE turned their pockets inside out putting every dollar in Bmore on Tom, how could we not. His backers covered ALL BETS - GLADLY ( WHAT SUCKERS HA HA ! . WELL Tom never saw another ball nor shot another one. Andam put on a clinic? Something NONE of us had ever seen and just flat out did some AMAZING STUFF! 13-3 Andam. He busted Baltimore. Period. Great stuff. I lost $2500 that night and after seeing what I saw wasn't even the least bit upset seriously, worth every penny. After that night Tom said it would be diff if they had played on his home table over at Running Out Billiards and Andam was happy to oblige. He went over there and finished emptying the remainder of cash that was left in Bmore. What a sight! RICHIEBALTO should chime in cause he was up close and personal as much as anyone on this one. Bottom line, we have NEVER seen anyone do this to our hero Cigar Tom BEFORE OR AFTER - one hell of a player!!!!! RIP Leo - you will ALWAYS be remembers here in Baltimore!!!!! Sorry final score 13-10 Andam

Last edited:

GodIsNotGreat

Registered
RIP Dodong Andam.

I saw him play in one of the invitational tournaments in Manila against the big guns Efren, Django and the others. Then suddenly he disappeared from the scene.

The next I heard he ostensibly grew tired of the competition, preferring to go back to the simple pleasures of provincial life, especially fishing.

TorranceChris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Andam. I remember playing scotch double with my girlfriend against him and his partner at Mr. B's in Baldwin Park, Calif back in the 90's. He was stoic but very friendly at the same time. We had a ball in that match. Tremendous talent and humility. Deepest consolation to his family/friends.

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
A note from Rodney

I got this second hand from AnitoKid's FB page.
------------------------------------------
Thank you Rodney. You are all class, pare. Just like Dong.

AK

R.I.P. Leonard "the rattlesnake" Andam. Great player, class act, and humble as anyone I ever met..............I remember in 1995 I thought I was invincible. All the Filipinos were in LA at Hard Times Billiards and I asked Andam for the 8 ball and played two out of three sets for 10k. He beats me 15-7 the first set, then I won the second set 15-7, then he robs me again the third set 15-7. At that time, he never missed a ball and kicked everything perfect. I told him after he beat me that I thought he was the smoothest of all the Filipino players IMO, and I was gonna copy him and watch him from now on........then in 1996 we were in Puerto Rico and it was he and I in the finals. I had just won a great match in the semis, coming back from 9-5 against Francisco Bustamante to win 11-9. Before the lag in the finals, I told Andam if he lets me win, I'll cook rice for him in my room and feed him. He knew I always had a rice cooker with me that year because I needed my rice and I was scared I wouldn't be able to eat good on tour that year lol.........in the finals he jumps out to a 6-1 lead and somehow I manage to win 11-7. That was my first major. Right after the match he tells me, "you learn a lot from me huh pare"? Haha. He was a seriously classy player and it's sad he's gone. My condolences to his family. I'll never forget you and the battles we had pare. The pool world is minus another legend:(

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest in Peace.

Leonardo Andam
Card Number 105
Team Philippines
Nickname: "Dodong"

Leonardo Andam is another of the powerful players on World Team Billiards Team Philippines. He began playing pool at age 11 and went Pro at just 17. An international player with presence, skills and knowledge, he is a perfect fit with his teammates to win any tournament that Team Philippines participates in. Andam captured four Gold Medals in the Sea Games, as well as countless local pool and snooker championships. When not playing pool, Leonardo enjoys basketball and spending time with his wife and seven children.

leonardo-andam-2.jpg

Bayawak

Tirador
Silver Member
Dodong vs. cigar tom

RIP LEO - here's a little cool story about him. It was the late 90's and he COMPLETELY busted Baltimore! A match was lined up with our hometown hero - Cigar Tom. Tom was a champion, played them all, beat most and was in the true sense of the word - a true champion - broke dead even with Strickland in his prime no bs. Well Tom ALWAYS said he would play ANY living human with the 7 and sure enough when Andam was coming thru town a match was made. Tom was gonna get the 7. EVERYONE in Baltimore could not get their $$$ money out fast enough to bet on Tom. The match was scheduled to be played at the infamous Jack & Jills in Glen Burnie on the treacherous table 5. Race to 13, all bets were in; all on Tom. Hundreds of people there - standing room only. Heavy action. Once again ALL ON TOM. Everything was set, match ready to play, everyone there and ready to see the battle of our champion ready to ROB this road player. Match started, both players playing great. It was a race to 13 for xxxx $'s. CIGAR UP 10-2 or 10-3 ( sorry been a few years but 10-3 max ). Leo' s backers asked if anyone wanted to bet more. OF COURSE WE DID! EVERYONE turned their pockets inside out putting every dollar in Bmore on Tom, how could we not. His backers covered ALL BETS - GLADLY ( WHAT SUCKERS HA HA ! . WELL Tom never saw another ball nor shot another one. Andam put on a clinic? Something NONE of us had ever seen and just flat out did some AMAZING STUFF! 13-3 Andam. He busted Baltimore. Period. Great stuff. I lost $2500 that night and after seeing what I saw wasn't even the least bit upset seriously, worth every penny. After that night Tom said it would be diff if they had played on his home table over at Running Out Billiards and Andam was happy to oblige. He went over there and finished emptying the remainder of cash that was left in Bmore. What a sight! RICHIEBALTO should chime in cause he was up close and personal as much as anyone on this one. Bottom line, we have NEVER seen anyone do this to our hero Cigar Tom BEFORE OR AFTER - one hell of a player!!!!! RIP Leo - you will ALWAYS be remembers here in Baltimore!!!!! Sorry final score 13-10 Andam

Hello Bmore,

I was one of the backers by Dodong versus Cigar Tom. I was the guy that was shooting with Dodong while he was warming up. Doubt if you can remember that long ago but I was the one who set up the match between Cigar Tom and Dodong. I spoke to Cigar Tom over the phone and said he was willing to play Dodong but he would be needing the 7.

Dodong said yep, and that was that, Cigar Tom got the 7 sight unseen. I asked Dodong how can you give somebody a big spot like that without even seeing how he plays. He said that he never saw Cigar Tom in the tournaments that he played in so he knew that he can give away the 7.

Andam played even better at Running Out Billiards against Cigar Tom. Later on, after the match Andam told me that Cigar Tom was a real gentleman and a pleasure to play with!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Like many other people, I got this information through Facebook on Monday evening and I was shocked and saddened and posted something on my page about it on Tuesday morning. However ...

At the moment, there are several people in the Philippines that are trying to verify whether or not Leonardo has passed. At this time, there has been no confirmation nor has there been any contact with Leonardo's family to confirm his passing.

Over the past few hours, I have also heard that he may still be alive - that he did not have a heart attack - that it could have been a severe case of heat stroke - that he is in fact still alive and recovering. On the other hand, I have also gotten information from other sources that say that he indeed had a massive heart attack and died on Monday. At this time there is no confirmed information - and no contact with Leonardo's family (that I have heard of) so I think it is best to wait until we hear something official.

I am in contact with my friend Edgar Acaba, who has been trying his best to contact Leonardo's family - the hospitals - or anybody that can deny or confirm his passing. As soon as Edgar knows - he'll let everybody know - Personally, I still have hope that he is still alive - and I will consider him alive until there is proof otherwise.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hello Bmore,

I was one of the backers by Dodong versus Cigar Tom. I was the guy that was shooting with Dodong while he was warming up. Doubt if you can remember that long ago but I was the one who set up the match between Cigar Tom and Dodong. I spoke to Cigar Tom over the phone and said he was willing to play Dodong but he would be needing the 7.

Dodong said yep, and that was that, Cigar Tom got the 7 sight unseen. I asked Dodong how can you give somebody a big spot like that without even seeing how he plays. He said that he never saw Cigar Tom in the tournaments that he played in so he knew that he can give away the 7.

Andam played even better at Running Out Billiards against Cigar Tom. Later on, after the match Andam told me that Cigar Tom was a real gentleman and a pleasure to play with!

Nothing better than a good dose of....''real life'' and how it changes Us.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Anito Kid has posted on FB that Leonardo Andam has died. Here's what he wrote.....

"Our condolences to the family of Filipino pool player Leonardo "Dodong" Andam. A member of the Filipino Invasion, the Rattlesnake, aka Dodong Dadiangas, succumbed to a heart attack last night. RIP champ!"

I've always liked Andam. Him and Luat were often over-looked in favor of Reyes, Parica and Bustamante. He played just a notch under their speed though, so his placing is fair. But I've always like his stoic nature, he had a good cadence and pace at the table and he was fun to watch. He sat in the chair like Ralf Souquet, expressionless.

May God comfort his family and friend as they grieve his passing.

I remember when Leonardo Andam came to Tommy Baker's room in Fontana California for a tournament in the mid-90's. It was a pretty strong field with the likes of Paez, Domenguez, F. Galindo, Harriman, Baker and all the best Calif. players. Harriman put Andam on the losers side and Andam didn't lose another match beating Morro twice in the finals 7-0 7-0!! He was a great player and never said a word well except for with his cuestick:). Thank you Leonardo for creating this great memory for me with your amazing play!! RIP and condolences to your family...

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Bmore,

Yeah brother yall certainly took us all off! After u guys came thru town I wasn't Bmore Money I was NO MORE MONEY LOL! For real though what a great move asking if anyone wanted to bet more being down 10-3 going to 13! Yall must have known ya had the nuts huh? Were u the one that played my friend red headed Jeremy ( he was a tall kinda oafy red headed kid ) giving him the 8 I believe before the Tom match went down? I remember Andam did this crazy one handed shot quite a bit, if he couldn't reach he'd lay the cue on the table and pick it up with one hand, drill the ball dead center pocket every time and juice the cue ball multiple rails get perfect and run dead out! Awesome to see thats for sure! And ur def right, just when we thought he couldn't possibly play any better than he did at Jack & Jills he did go over to Running Out and hit yet another gear - it was unreal.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There seems to be differing accounts of Leonardo's passing. First I heard it was a heart attack and then a story about a motorcycle accident, and now that he may well be alive and it was someone else with a similar name.

I will give you the lowdown on what happened to him in the last few years. I was walking down Taft Avenue in Pasay City about three years ago and spied a little dive poolroom hidden down a hallway. There are hundreds of places like this in Manila. I went in and was immediately asked to play. I played some guy Rotation for 300P ($7) a game. After I won three games he quit. Then someone told me another player was on the way to play me.

Soon enough in walks Andam and he just smiles at me. The other guys are surprised that we know each other, and we sit down and reminisce for a while. Then I say good bye and head out. After that I asked around about him and why he was not playing anymore. I was told he had substance abuse problems to put it delicately. It can happen to anyone, we are all susceptible.

I always liked him, he was a classy guy, never complaining and with the heart of a lion. I can still see that sly smile on his face as he got ready for action. Talk about confidence, he had it in spades. Leonardo was just one more in the long line of filipino greats I've had the pleasure to know and see play. Every one of them great money players as well!

I hope these stories turn out to be bogus and he is still alive. He would be in his mid 50's now.

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Hi friends,

I have received news that Dodong Andam is alive and well.

I was misinformed by a couple of pool friends about Dong's supposedly untimely demise.
One highlighted a heart attack and the other a motorcycle accident.
I should have known better to personally confirm the news before I posted the news on my FB account.

I guess the sadness that enveloped me when I received the text messages of his death got the better of me.
It will not happen again.

I take full responsibility for the misinformation that I have "helped" create.
My sincerest apologies to everyone. I am hoping for your kind understanding.

I am so sorry, friends.

AK

PS
In all honesty, I am very happy that Dong is alive and well.
With regard to the embarrassing situation I am into,
I think I'm going to crawl under a rock now and stay there for a few days.
Though, I think i am going to need a big rock because of my size. :)

Last edited:

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Anyone that would instigate a lie like this should not be anyone's friend.

If he is alive and well, who thought up that bullshit?

--Jeff