What is necessary to improve?

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone wants to get better, run more racks, and win more games. What do you believe is necessary to improve? In other words, what actions must you perform in order to take your game to the next level?
-------------------------------------------------
Sent you a long, helpful PM, Jeremiah re implementing a great youtube instructional someone in Europe posted a year ago. Check your PM inbox.

Arnaldo

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what's needed to improve? DEDICATION...

If you want specifics. You have to gain knowledge. knowledge of the correct patterns to play and why, knowledge of correct stroke mechanics, knowledge of what spin does to the cueball, and to banks, and to the object ball.

Knowledge of the tangent, of collision induced throw, of parabolic curves of follow and draw..

There is so much knowledge needed to play this game at a super high level it is ridiculous.

But still the most important factor in improving is Dedication...

I have yet to meet a player capable of high level play that hasn't at some time in their life eaten, slept and breathed pool.

If you're playing enough pool that you dream you're on a table, you will improve...

Jaden

Best Post Ever read this forum! Agree 100%

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Jeremiah,

Nice replies so far.

Put up a video of you shooting pool and some of us will try to help you in the right direction.

JoeyA

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I tend to agree with this...

This is not true.
Natural talent does HELP but it's not the only thing that's needed. It can only take you "so" far. After that it's all about how dedicated you are to being a better pool player.

To me the most important thing is true desire to be better.

It's kind of like people who talk about quitting smoking. They take patches, pills are other things that might help 'em to quit but most of the time they fail cuz of their lack of willpower to quit it. (I am a smoker so this is from personal experience).

Also it depends on individual basis on what is going to help them to get to next level. It's usually a combination of different things.

P.S:- I also want to add that there are people out there that are kind of prodigy but then those people are exceptions. And there are very few of them. So, don't equate that to "natural ability" being the biggest factor in improving.

Talent is necessary. People that don't have any talent aren't going to get really far. But what is talent???

Is it potential??

Who knows for sure what we're referring to when we say oh he has talent.

Many people think it's something inherent and natural. I think that is a confusing supposition.

Almost NO ONE that we refer to as having natural talent at anything just started playing at a high level from day one.

Concert pianists played multiple hours a day for years and even decades to become truly masterful. Even when they had a VERY strong ear for music and were considered prodigies at young ages.

There are a few cases of child prodigies that were extremely talented, in that it didn't take a ton of practice to become proficient and people with no ear for music might NEVER become proficient.

So in that respect I guess that talent would be considered potential and learning ability.

Without some of that, no one can become anything, but that alone is NEVER enough.

Tiger woods would NEVER have become the golfer he is without years of dedicated practice and competition.

It's the same with any endeavor, the overwhelming decider in how great you will become is how you dedicate yourself to that endeavor.

Often times we are amazed at how some people have overcome great obstacles to become great at something.

I think that is the determining factor. That willingness to tell those people that think you have to have natural talent or who say, "oh you can't do that for such and such a reason", to say "Up Yours" and do it anyways.

If someone watches how I'm able to kick and thinks, oh he has natural talent at kicking...

Up yours, I WORKED MY ASS OFF to be able to consistently kick the way I do.

I think it does a disservice to the effort people have put into the game to say they have natural talent.

I don't remember where I read it, but I just recently read where someone was talking about that moment when you just wake up playing different, and it was pretty obvious they were referring to John Schmidt.

He has stated, I just woke up and something clicked, it was just different and I could play.

Do you really think it was MAGIC and that he couldn't play at that level before that?

If you do, you're crazy. It was a mental block. He had the skill but not that TRUE belief in himself. He woke up after forcing himself to win and REALIZED, TRULY REALIZED that that was the game he was capable of and he never looked back.

There are MANY MANY players out there that are capable of top notch play and I believe that their main limitation is that lack of true belief in their ability.

don't mistake that sudden realization and change in caliber of competition as a former lack of ability and change in skill level. It's NOT. They already knew how to play, but lacked the ability to know how to compete under pressure in most cases.

There's also not a lot of incentive to dedicate yourself to the game like you need to.

I love the game, I've loved the game for a multitude of reasons for many years, one of which was a desire to get my father (a road player in the 60's out of lousiville) to respect me.

It's become more for myself more recently and this game is friggin addictive. It's my one addiction. I don't gamble really. I don't smoke, I don't drink. I just am not an addictive personality except when it comes to pool.

To me there's no better feeling than playing perfect pool.

To be playing someone like Ernesto and have him lock you behind a ball and come up and kick it in and run out is one of the best feelings I've EVER felt and I've sky dived and traveled the world and played music on stage to a crowded theater (that comes in a close second btw) but that feeling is indescribable.

It's.....pure...I think is the best way to describe it and I just can't wait to get on the table and have a chance to do it again.

Jaden

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just need...

more table time. I play in tournaments maybe once per week and I practice maybe an hour or two once per week apart from that.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not true.
Natural talent does HELP but it's not the only thing that's needed. It can only take you "so" far. After that it's all about how dedicated you are to being a better pool player.

To me the most important thing is true desire to be better.

It's kind of like people who talk about quitting smoking. They take patches, pills are other things that might help 'em to quit but most of the time they fail cuz of their lack of willpower to quit it. (I am a smoker so this is from personal experience).

Also it depends on individual basis on what is going to help them to get to next level. It's usually a combination of different things.

P.S:- I also want to add that there are people out there that are kind of prodigy but then those people are exceptions. And there are very few of them. So, don't equate that to "natural ability" being the biggest factor in improving.

I have been watching players for over 50 years.
I have seen players that take lessons and practice constantly for years and still have trouble running a rack of any game.
Then there are those that never take lessons and seldom practice and they run racks.
That's natural ability.
It's not totally required to improve but it sure helps.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to want to improve. If you really want it, you'll do whatever it takes for as long as it takes. If it never happens, you never wanted it enough.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching players for over 50 years.
I have seen players that take lessons and practice constantly for years and still have trouble running a rack of any game.
Then there are those that never take lessons and seldom practice and they run racks.
That's natural ability.
It's not totally required to improve but it sure helps.

If I read German text for the next 6 months, I will learn nothing until I understand what I'm reading.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Lessons.

It's virtally impossible for an athlete to "self-analyze" the areas that need improvement, much less develop a routine for achieving the improvement. You simply can't see your own mistakes, but an independent (and knowledgeable) set of eyes can.

That's why Tiger Woods has a swing coach, Barry Bonds has a batting coach, and so on.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
As long as you know what you're supposed to be doing...

Lessons.

It's virtally impossible for an athlete to "self-analyze" the areas that need improvement, much less develop a routine for achieving the improvement. You simply can't see your own mistakes, but an independent (and knowledgeable) set of eyes can.

That's why Tiger Woods has a swing coach, Barry Bonds has a batting coach, and so on.

It's not entirely impossible, but I would say it's MUCH more difficult. You have to know exactly what you are supposed to do, and there's so much conflicting information and variance between players that you're right, it's ALMOST impossible.

That's why you have bangers that play for 30 years and don't improve. They THINK they know what they're supposed to do and won't listen to anyone as to what they REALLY should be doing.

Jaden

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
You forgot to mention "good eyes" and ability to see the true angle which goes in part with aim but is a bit different. Knowing where to hit and HOW to actually hit it with what your eyes show you and how your arm moves the cue are very different.

In our school those points are all covered in Alignment & Delivery lessons.

randyg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Randy said, there are only two ways to miss...line up poorly or stroke poorly. Both points are extensively covered in our pool schools and private lessons.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I'll tell you how to learn not to miss.
When I was 15 or 16 years old I would play grown men for money with out a dime in my pocket.
that's pressure.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll tell you how to learn not to miss.
When I was 15 or 16 years old I would play grown men for money with out a dime in my pocket.
that's pressure.

This worked for me, although I also had a part-time job, so I at least had a buck on me...and I'd bet it. Many a night turning $3 into $30. Those were my good ole days...lol

liakos

Banned
Everyone wants to get better, run more racks, and win more games. What do you believe is necessary to improve? In other words, what actions must you perform in order to take your game to the next level?

Mine is very simple! Time!!! I work 2 full time jobs and I am C+ sometimes B - player. If I played more matches with people, I could be strong B low A in a couple of months! It's matching up and putting some type of $$$ on the game! And the $$$ has to hurt a bit if you lose. If it doesn't hurt, the brain doesn't learn from mistakes made:)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jaden said it first

Jaden was the first to say it well and several more have followed. In one word, obsession!

Hu

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

What Dennis Orcullo told me is "You've got speed. To be a top player you need to practice 5 hours a day".

I just laughed because that isn't on the agenda. But I did consider it a great compliment coming from him and I know he practices that much or more. He probably says that to all his pupils.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
To overcome this negative momentum we must develop a definite purpose

Our own minds can be the toughest opponents we'll ever face. Without the faith in ourselves, and the desire to put for the effort, many people will live a life of frustration. This will also cause envy to surface out of the darkest realms of the unconscious mind.

To overcome this negative momentum we must develop a definite purpose, in our games, and especially in our daily lives. Mental momentum is difficult to redirect, so make sure to focus on what you want, and ignore what is not useful.

What ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
yep...

If I read German text for the next 6 months, I will learn nothing until I understand what I'm reading.

However, if you read German texts for six years while using a german-english dictionary for the words you don't understand, you will probably end up with a better grasp of the German language than most Germans.

Your mind will learn the language from using the correct definitions over time as you read the language with correct sentence format etc in a way that learning the spoken language would never give you..

Here's the kicker though. You won't speak it correctly because you won't have the experience of hearing it spoken correctly with proper accent and diction.

This illustration translates PERFECTLY to pool because you can learn from videos or books practicing by yourself in your basement for 6 years and be able to play perfect.

Then when you go play in a tournament against someone, LOSE YOUR ASS...

You have to get that experience of SPEAKING pool in competition to truly become great.

Jaden