A Huge Thank You from CueSports International (CSI)!

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Neil needs to get back to his roots. Time to replace all your posts with a line of dots ASAP.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Business as usual i see.

There is one thing that sticks out about this particular thread that I find interesting.

The fact that some former pro CSI people are now coming out and criticizing CSI's actions, is in itself, very telling.

There is a way to be professional about things, and there is a way to do it like a scumbag.
Veiled/direct threats about someone's future earning ability is the way of the scumbag.
And people wonder why pool is in the sh!tter.

Next thing you know, CSI's gonna have it's VERY OWN collection of room keys.
I mean, hey, they are learning from the best, right?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether the delay did or could have hurt anyone or not, the principle is the same: Both parties scheduled events, and one party said, if you don't delay yours, we won't let you play in our future events. They say it's not bullying though!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Oscar wasn't streaming this. Big Truck was. It was on him to see if there was a conflict and then decide if he still wanted to stream. The stream is secondary. To say Oscar did anything wrong is assaninne.

see below...

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Oscar wasn't streaming this. Big Truck was. It was on him to see if there was a conflict and then decide if he still wanted to stream. The stream is secondary. To say Oscar did anything wrong is assaninne.

Since Oscar scheduled the event with the intention of streaming it, the mistake was his. To call my comment asinine and butcher the spelling of asinine so badly, is well, pretty asinine.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, how did I miss this shitstorm?

In the event scheduling world, it's professional courtesy and just good business sense to create schedules after researching competitive events. Your choice is to go around them, ride on them, not do them or compete with them. Since I do events, I have done all these options. A simple email to Mark and Ozzy could have avoided this mess. Oscar should have definitely checked with CSI for conflicts before finalizing the schedule and I am sure lesson learned there. This is where the mistake was made. Oscar is a very intelligent and decent human being and would not want to intentionally cause a conflict. Since he is getting more into tournament promotion himself, there will be a learning curve.

That being said, I disagree with Ozzy's power play on Sky. I think everybody can see why now. Bad PR for himself and CSI. On the other hand, I wonder if Ozzy is taking a bullet on this one. Seems like it to me.

Yes, you missed a lot. There was no tournament going on. It was in between the Pro tournaments. There was a competing challenge (exhibition) match taking place for which CSI thought they should not have to face any streaming competition.

Also, I didn't buy the Big Truck stream because of the 3 hour delay. Had no interest in staying up to 4 or 5 in the morning to watch.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Yes, you missed a lot. There was no tournament going on. It was in between the Pro tournaments. There was a competing challenge (exhibition) match taking place for which CSI thought they should not have to face any streaming competition.

Also, I didn't buy the Big Truck stream because of the 3 hour delay. Had no interest in staying up to 4 or 5 in the morning to watch.

I bought both Oscar matches over the 4 days (not the CSI because of 7 footers) - didn't like the 3 hour delay either. The shitstorm I was referring to was this thread.

I will say one more time, when you are piggy-backing on an event like this, it is professional courtesy to check with the event sponsors to make sure there is no conflict. THEN you decide from there what to do if there is. Not checking was the mistake and I know Oscar is smart enough to have learned his lesson. I also do not like Ozzy's power play, however, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Where? I checked and saw no snide remarks about anyone.

Yes I inferred that his comment about wanting to write a book of the going ons of the inside of the pool world was a negative, especially with this thread here. But it doesn't have to be so I stand corrected and making that assumption. Only Ozzy knows what he meant by his post.

All of Ozzy posts on Facebook are positive. I remember one of his earlier comments of pool players complaining of losing on 7 foot tables when they would win on a 9 footer --- but again that doesn't have to be a negative.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
There were several big money (and I mean BIG!) played at Good Times during the ten days of the U.S. Open events. They were all "ahead" sets and they would play for 8-10 hours and then take a break overnight and come back the next day. Oftentimes one player was on a roll and wanted to continue play but his opponent asked for the break and got it. They came back the next day and continued without a hitch. Those on here who are saying that taking a three hour break affected the outcome of the match are really not that knowledgeable about big time pool. In these long matches the best player usually wins, break or no break. Momentum be damned!

If you play as good as these guys, taking a long "dinner" break will not affect your game one iota. You come back, take a short warm-up, and get back into it. In a game or two it looks just like the match did before the break. Nothing's changed, except the clock on the wall. These guys must perform at all times of the day (and night), often playing a match and having to take either a long or short break before their next match. They adjust, do what they need to do and come back ready. It's that simple.

And YES, the tournament should take priority over gambling games, all day and all night. What if Skyler (or Oscar) had a match scheduled at the same time. What do you think would have happened then? You're right, they would have taken a break, probably three hours or more. HELLO!

Next time you're in bed with a lady... and about midway through, take a 3 hour break. You'll love it!

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might as well, most on here don't seem to understand logic or business or much of anything else except mob mentality. :rolleyes:

I will agree from a business stand point it makes perfect sense to eliminate competition. That being said it doesn't make it right or flood a positive light on the game we all love.

Hopefully it's handled better in the future or they just agree to compete for the viewing audience.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...] The shitstorm I was referring to was this thread.

lol... This isn't a shitstorm. This is AZperusual. Try asking a question about aiming...

You've got the most significant pool organization in the country in the midst of its annual hurrah for both amateur and professional play scheduling two challenge matches amongst pretty much the best players on US soil for people all over with an internet connection to see.

Then you've got Oscar--a top player and up-and-coming promoter who appears all around to be a class act, and Ray--a promoter extraordinairre who has done a ton to bring excitement to many events--who inadvertently scheduled a competing pay-per-view match.

It's an unfortunate situation, but if we're all for pool, it is a no-brainer how to proceed. "Oscar, Ray, and I [Ozzy] all agreed that this was a good solution and would benefit everyone."

Good! Cool! Good for cooperation. Good for the kind of relationship building from which we all will benefit. Good for pool.

But wait!

Then word comes that "the other player's backer" had a problem...

the other player's backer?

really?

Skyler seems like a nice kid, and he's certainly one of the best players in the country. I just don't see Skyler being recalcitrant like that.

... the other player's backer...

tail trying to wag the dog

let's move on to CTE aiming or something...

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Ozzy said that his event dates was posted first

and

Cleary says the fight night match was posted first

who is correct? Anyone know?

Kd

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
But wait!

really?

LOL - now that's called sweating!

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Since Oscar scheduled the event with the intention of streaming it, the mistake was his. To call my comment asinine and butcher the spelling of asinine so badly, is well, pretty asinine.

Okay grammar police. I'm responding on a phone. But you got me. Oh you got me good.

Oscar would play in my basement. He doesn't care much about the glory of streaming.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol... This isn't a shitstorm. This is AZperusual. Try asking a question about aiming...

You've got the most significant pool organization in the country in the midst of its annual hurrah for both amateur and professional play scheduling two challenge matches amongst pretty much the best players on US soil for people all over with an internet connection to see.

Then you've got Oscar--a top player and up-and-coming promoter who appears all around to be a class act, and Ray--a promoter extraordinairre who has done a ton to bring excitement to many events--who inadvertently scheduled a competing pay-per-view match.

It's an unfortunate situation, but if we're all for pool, it is a no-brainer how to proceed. "Oscar, Ray, and I [Ozzy] all agreed that this was a good solution and would benefit everyone."

Good! Cool! Good for cooperation. Good for the kind of relationship building from which we all will benefit. Good for pool.

But wait!

really?

Skyler seems like a nice kid, and he's certainly one of the best players in the country. I just don't see Skyler being recalcitrant like that.

let's move on to CTE aiming or something...

Be thorough in your recap, instead of picking so selectively.

Yes, move on to CTE or Fargo ratings :cool:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Ozzy said that his event dates was posted first

and

Cleary says the fight night match was posted first

who is correct? Anyone know?

Kd

I'm going off of what ozzy said...

"...Neither of the three parties knew that we had already scheduled and announced The Kamui Challenge and The Tiger Challenge for July 22 and 23 beginning at 5pm each day.

When I saw the flyer for their match, I immediately called Ray Hansen..."

I have no idea who posted first, nor do I care. It's no excuse for strong arming Sky