Letting kids play on my table

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, my son's birthday party is coming up and there will be quite a few kids coming. I have the Jr shark guiding wheels but I still don't want kids playing on my table when I can't keep a watchful eye on them.

I was going to have an adults only rule at first but got to thinking.....I still have the old cloth that I recently replaced. It is in good shape and I could put that on top of the good cloth so I don't have to worry as much about tearing the new stuff. Any thoughts on how to secure it? I could just lay it on top and maybe some velcro strips in the pockets? Under the rails?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the balls and the chalk and put them in your car's trunk. Close trunk.
Get all the cues. Open trunk. Place all cues in trunk. Close trunk.

Another layer of cloth isnt going to help.a whole lot of things.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, my son's birthday party is coming up and there will be quite a few kids coming. I have the Jr shark guiding wheels but I still don't want kids playing on my table when I can't keep a watchful eye on them.

I was going to have an adults only rule at first but got to thinking.....I still have the old cloth that I recently replaced. It is in good shape and I could put that on top of the good cloth so I don't have to worry as much about tearing the new stuff. Any thoughts on how to secure it? I could just lay it on top and maybe some velcro strips in the pockets? Under the rails?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Life is short. It's just a pool table.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If you decide to let em play, first give them a tutorial on how to respect the equipment, hold the cue, swing the cue etc. Ironically tho, most all parents are equal when it comes to proper usage of equipment but they will NEVER admit it because few people RESPECT pool players equipment like the owner/player. Probably best to make it off limits.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either recruit an ally (another parent maybe) to supervise in shifts, or lock it down with guard dogs, alarms, and booby traps.

Go for the ally option.

How many Einsteins died ignorant because they were born into poverty and never went to school?

How many Mosconis died in obscurity because they never held a pool cue.

I hope you can let them try.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I haven't seen a kid harm a pool table yet...if they're young enough.
...they don't have the cue power to rip a cloth.

Early teens may need supervision.

It's grown people that can't play very well that present the biggest danger....
....'bangers' with strength.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Life is short. It's just a pool table.

i agree!

i just experienced the screams when they roll the balls around and "scream" when their finger gets hit by the balls!!!

My table is old and antique. But the jumbo frame brunswick is a tank. Anyway, if they are 8 years old and older then they get a go at it and are mature enough not to get their fingers smashed and use the sticks properly or at least try to!

under 8 then the sticks go in the closet and they roll the balls around by hand.

if I am around then I will work with the little ones and the small cue i got for them to play with. I bought a kids cue for my daughter and in a pinch use my old jump cue as a kids cue to let them play.

Kd

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way in hell do kids play on my table. Nor most adults, for that matter. I don't have the resources to get any damage repaired, I can't even get it recovered at this time. I've seen what kids are capable of in commercial rooms that allowed them on a table, even supervised, supposedly.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
put the balls and sticks up
cover the table with a coverand put books on top of the cover

i find that books keep kids away,adults too

it is ok to be protective of your stuff

its usually a good idea

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Some people will let others ride their motorcycle.

Having owned a Youth pool room, most damage was from food/drink, but there are those that drag cue ferrules along the cloth, and try to do the stuff they see on TV to impress and get a good laugh. In general 99% of most people have NO clue on how to respect your equipment. Personally, I'd keep the kids off, that way no hard feelings will germinate if damage and tears happen.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to be so uptight.

Think you should get the kids involved in a masse/jump shot challenge for a $100.00 prize :grin:

What could go wrong?

Attachments

• torn.jpg
    torn.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 717

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
no ones allowed on my table without my presence

But then again I can't get anyone into it so I really don't have that issue, it's sort of a repellent

Strictly

Registered
I'm both ways on the matter if I think there mature enough to treat things respectfully then I'll let them have at it generally with whatever house cues and cheap balls. Last time this was the case I came down stairs to find what looked like dust or debris on one rail. The ceiling is tiled so if somebody accidentally hit it with the cue it's possible for dust to flake down. On further inspection it looked like crumbs, I come to find out one of them ate a cookie or pie or some fng nonsense right on the rail right over the cloth. That was the end of that delusion. I realized that you just sound like an idiot to a kid when your ranting about the cost of a relevel and recover and new balls and cues your speaking mandarin nvm English to someone that has barely developed the power of speech.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So many of the greatest players in history hit balls before they could formulate a decent sentence.....we need more champions.

LET THE KIDS PLAY

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The 6 year old that I allowed on my table recently used my shorty cue as a pole vault cue. The joint didn't like it one bit.

But you know what? He's a kid and needs to learn somehow about such things. I think he learned a lesson, as the last time he wanted to play on my table, he asked me to put away the shorty cue so he could just roll the balls by hand. He's learning the physics of it that way and that's a great start.

Either way, I'm glad he has an interest in the game and I'm glad to help him fulfill it, in spite of the risks. After all tables are meant to be played on, not looked at.

Jeff Livingston

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The 6 year old that I allowed on my table recently used my shorty cue as a pole vault cue. The joint didn't like it one bit.

Jeff Livingston

(overheard at a track and field event)

"Are you a polevaulter?"
"No, I'm Lithuanian....but how did you know my name is Valter?"

JC

Coos Cues
Real cloth is hard to tear. Very hard. Nappy crappy like in the photo here, not so much.

I agree with the it's just a pool table logic. I let kids play on my diamond 9 footer all the time. And the only rules I give are no food or drinks. If you're so broke you can't afford to maintain your table you can't afford a birthday party either.

JC

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it depends on a number of factors, including the age of the kids, the number of the kids and whether someone will be able to supervise them at all times.

I have a annual Super Bowl party, and at some point people started bringing kids. But the kids were not old enough to play, and didn't want to play, but did want to throw the pool balls around the table. This resulted in a number of crushed fingers. Oh, and some balls being bounced on the floor. Another time I had to stop a "sword fight" being fought with my house cues.

So, for that event, because there were too many young kids and the adults all were watching football, I have banned anyone from playing on the table.

On the other hand, if there were only a few kids and/or proper adult supervision, I would have no problem with them playing on my table.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I got the chance to play for the first time when I was seven. I still remember it, in fact it may be my earliest memory.

I'm sure glad that the folks who owned the table let it happen.

Talk to the group before they play, give them a couple of cues that you don't care about and no food or drink but by all means let them give it a try.