What ever happened to (insert pool player name here)?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I recall hearing Jr Harris became a preacher and lives in Texas.

Still hustling. Moved up the ladder too.

I guess it is better to hustle the God-fearin folk than pool players, coz they don't shoot back and they never leave with your money.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Harley Bryant....outta Jacksonville....
....heart like a lion

He was running Harley's Rack N Cue as he has been for quite a few years now, hopefully he's still as onry and hilarious as when I left Jacksonville 5 years ago. The Jacksonville pool community has been hit hard in 2016 losing a couple of legends in the area, RIP Johnny Ross & Larry Gayle.

Neil

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Barry Emerson

You didn't ask but......

Barry Emerson was one of my favorite players when he played around the Louisiana/Mississippi area. He had this very unique grip that few players use but he could play well and always seemed to have an upbeat positive attitude.

Barry took up being a family man and has a beautiful family in Texas. I think he is still involved in pool a little bit, (occasionally playing in a tournament here or there) maybe recovering pool tables and perhaps another occupation that slips my mind, but the pool hustling seems to be a thing of the past and now he has a loving family to keep him happy and busy.

JoeyA

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Beilfus?

Dick Lane?

Mark had hung up his cue and owned his own business. tool and die, or machining or something like that. About ten years ago he decided to give pool another run. I played him one time, then I heard he made a couple of trips to Chicago and maybe a few other places. With 14.1 dead, and nor reason to play anymore, last I heard he hung it up for good. Was a real good player in his day.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA...I used to see Barry out in CA quite a bit too years ago. Really good player.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

You didn't ask but......

Barry Emerson was one of my favorite players when he played around the Louisiana/Mississippi area. He had this very unique grip that few players use but he could play well and always seemed to have an upbeat positive attitude.

Barry took up being a family man and has a beautiful family in Texas. I think he is still involved in pool a little bit, (occasionally playing in a tournament here or there) maybe recovering pool tables and perhaps another occupation that slips my mind, but the pool hustling seems to be a thing of the past and now he has a loving family to keep him happy and busy.

JoeyA

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil...Is this the same Harley Bryant that used to live in N Atlanta, and had a cue business? He was good friends with Chris Hightower. This would have been at least 20 years ago.

Scott Lee

He was running Harley's Rack N Cue as he has been for quite a few years now, hopefully he's still as onry and hilarious as when I left Jacksonville 5 years ago. The Jacksonville pool community has been hit hard in 2016 losing a couple of legends in the area, RIP Johnny Ross & Larry Gayle.

Neil

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Jr. Harris?
Josh deigler?s
Keith Bennett?
Deo alpajora?
Gary flannery?

Deo plays in a lot of events out here in Southern and Northern California. He plays great! I played him in the Swanee 4 or 5 years ago (he won, hill/hill). Saw him at the Stonier tournament a few months ago.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil...Is this the same Harley Bryant that used to live in N Atlanta, and had a cue business? He was good friends with Chris Hightower. This would have been at least 20 years ago.

Scott Lee

Scott, I was referring to Mark Beilfus. I never knew Harley.

oops, you were referring to the other Neil. I didn't read the quoted part.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
"WIDE-TRACK" • Rodney Guy

Yeah, they called him WIDE-TRACK and with good reason. Back in the day, I moved back to my roots in New Orleans (from Jackson, MS). It must have been the middle 80's and I drove back to Jackson, MS to play in a 9 ball tournament at The Green Room and Rodney was there along with many other top players. Rodney had a reputation for being a good gambler/player but I hadn't seen very much of him. He was a barrel of a man. He looked rough enough that he wouldn't have to take back up with him anywhere he went.

Anyway Rodney saw me breaking 9 ball worse than I do now and took pity of me. (I don't know why but I guess he saw me struggling and was just a good guy)

It was the middle of the tournament and he saw that when I broke from the right side of the table that I wasn't able to hit the one ball square and would hit to the right of square and either fly off the table or scratch in the right bottom pocket. He discreetly pulled me over to the side and simply said, "Use one tip of right hand English when you break".

I nodded ok and the next match, I could feel his eyes on me. I put one tip of right hand spin on the cue ball and hit the one ball super square. Balls went flying everywhere, a couple of them jumping in the pockets and the cue ball staying in the middle of the table spinning like it was never going to stop. I smiled wildly and looked for Rodney who had watched the break and he made very brief eye contact with a short nod and quickly walked away never saying another word to me. I thought I had found Nirvana and could die happy.

That was the last time I saw him. He was a construction contractor of sorts living in Florida if I am not mistaken. Haven't seen him on the pool circuit and was just wondering how he was doing.

Rodney made a 30 year old kid quite happy with that tip. That was the kind of tip that didn't fix my improper alignment but it did help me to hit the one ball more square.

JoeyA

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
NEIL !
Here's a name you might know.....Dave Charette.
...I haven't heard his name for ages....he would be in his 60s now.
Dave played in a tournament at Joe Farhat's place in Lansing...'77, I believe.

I was coming off a seven year lay-off, so I drove over to watch.
the field was full of great players, Dave beat everyone but Mike Carella in the finals.
I thought I would've heard more from him over the years...he had a great stroke.

I saw a young Bushwhacker there for the first time...'Floyd' gave him the eight, for $500, and Gary got the cash.

I remember, at the end, Mike Carella was getting a lot of applause, and he interupted it to give Dave Charette mucho kudos...I thought that was nice.

PoolChump

Banned
NEIL !
Here's a name you might know.....Dave Charette.
...I haven't heard his name for ages....he would be in his 60s now.
Dave played in a tournament at Joe Farhat's place in Lansing...'77, I believe.

I was coming off a seven year lay-off, so I drove over to watch.
the field was full of great players, Dave beat everyone but Mike Carella in the finals.
I thought I would've heard more from him over the years...he had a great stroke.

I saw a young Bushwhacker there for the first time...'Floyd' gave him the eight, for $500, and Gary got the cash.

I remember, at the end, Mike Carella was getting a lot of applause, and he interupted it to give Dave Charette mucho kudos...I thought that was nice.

Gotta love them Bushwhackers. :bow-down::welcome: