Best Black Players Of All Time

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
This is actually a great thread...I've always wondered these things myself. I like Dennis Spears on this list don't know if he's already been mentioned but he's got a phenomenol cue ball and can do everything playing one hole. I'd bet in his prime he woulda robbed a whole lot of folks. Keep this thread going and thanks for posting

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nope just jumping on the bandwagon. typical black attitude. they love and embrace their racism. egregious use of the word white people aren't even allowed to reference by letter anymore, black entertainment, black this, black that. it's hilarious
Sounds like you need a safe space.

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wondered why the difference, after all, skin color makes no difference to me, I have respect for all players, of all nationalities :)

Cicsero Murphy, is the only? ever player, to win the World Straight Pool title, on his first attempt and he's also a Hall Of Famer :)

Another player, from the modern day game, Ike Runnels :)

LIke I said before though, great players are great players reguardless of their race, views, whatever, as a sportsman and as a person, I have respect for them all :)

Willie
Your post on Cisero being the only one to win a World Straight Pool title is not correct
Ray Martin also won on his first attempt.
Best regards
Ray Martin

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Your post on Cisero being the only one to win a World Straight Pool title is not correct
Ray Martin also won on his first attempt.
Best regards
Ray Martin

It.s so appropriate that Ray Martin makes an appearance in this thread....
...'cause he's the Coolest Cat of all times.
:bow-down:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
It.s so appropriate that Ray Martin makes an appearance in this thread....
...'cause he's the Coolest Cat of all times.
:bow-down:
Check out his name!

Ghost 👻 ball!

Watch out John barton and the CTE crew.

Sounds like another ghost ball endorsement by a world champion???

Lol

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
in the middle...in print...it says "a special thanks to"...Dennis Wilson heads that list.
:bow-down::bow-down::bow-down:

Check out his name!

Ghost 👻 ball!

Watch out John barton and the CTE crew.

Sounds like another ghost ball endorsement by a world champion???

Lol

Kd

KD.....is that you mentioned on the poster in post # 77...or your father?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
KD.....is that you mentioned on the poster in post # 77...or your father?
Darth Vader

I am your father! Luke!

It is referencing my pops!

Kd

Funny pops looks like James Earl Jones!

Kd

Last edited:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not a stupid question

why create a list of people of any particular race that play pool? that doesn't make any sense. 10 years ago or not that's a stupid post

I want to know. I might write a book that lists all good players but with an * beside
all but white guys of normal height, weight, IQ, etc.
* = black
** = fat
*** = short
**** = ugly
and so on, then when we talk about them we'll know more. Sure he won the world
three ball tournament but he was fat and ugly. Yeah that's right screw him then.
jack

cuetechustla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of my favorites have already been mentioned. But one that hasnt been mentioned and has me shocked is David Carver from Fayetteville NC. David had a strong rotation game!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I would think that Cisero Murphy should be #1 on the list. Two very fine players whose names I'm not sure I've seen in this thread are Earl Herring (4th in the World 14.1 Championships in the 1970s) and modern era player Josh Roberts.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I normally don't like race talk. I married outside of my race, move outside of my race, but if this has to be dredged up then cicero murphy gets my vote as number 1. Personally I have to give a shout out to Strawberry as well, god rest his soul.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I happened upon a pic of the bus driver recently...
Screenshot_20201229-210021.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My ranking would be James Evans as the greatest of all time. Youngblood Washington, Cisero Murphy, Marvin Henderson and Bugs would be right there, with Cannonball and Strawberry not far behind. Modern era has to be Cliff Joyner and Mark Tadd. Gabby is kind of in between the two eras, and so are Youngblood (James Brown) and Cecil. Those are the best black players that I'm familiar with. I saw them all play, except for Evans, but I heard a lot about him. He was considered the second best player of his era to only Greenleaf, who used to play against him frequently.

I left out Rags Woods. He was the mentor to many good black players who looked up to him. Guys like the Ice Man, Black Nate, Texas Shorty, Rush Out Red and another L.A. player they just called Shorty, whose name I never knew. He played damn good and I saw Cecil duck him.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My ranking would be James Evans as the greatest of all time.
Yup, James Evans is a legend for sure, although I never saw him play. He was not only a mentor to Cisero Murphy but he also took Cisero's very close friend Johnny Ervolino under his wing at one point (to be fair, Johnny's primary mentor was a fellow named Abe Rosen),. I learned second hand from Kenny Easter of New York, an old friend of Evans, that Evans was playing Greenleaf one time and that he played a shot that Greenleaf hadn't seen before. When the game was over, Greenleaf asked Evans to teach him the shot and Evans refused. Greenleaf then offered to pay him to show him how to shoot the shot and Evans refused again. Of course, it's no secret that the old masters were not always inclined to share their secrets, but this story really surprised me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only really good black player i ever watched was Gabby. He played Dick Lane and roasted him. Very smooth player.