Cue Components at it again

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm surprised this thread has survived that long.
The law offices of Bartles and James will soon serve a letter to AZB to pull this thread.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks,

Don't have a horse in this race but..... Do remember Joe is not "lily white". He's had his share of shady dealings. Especially with my friend Ideologist.

Also remember watching Mr Putnam playing a match being live streamed by TV Mike against Dave Grau. Shawn lined up to shoot an easy ball in the corner. As I watched in the pool room, I said to a friend "he's going to miss the shot" and sure enough he did. Instead of admitting the miss, Shawn claimed it was the poor quality of the Cyclop balls that made him miss. He then stated publicly he would never play in another event using Cyclop balls.

Moral to this story is neither have perfect records. Why believe one over the other? Just a question.

Lyn

I think in this instance nothing is being contested - it's all pretty much there in black and white.
The law offices of Bartles and James will soon serve a letter to AZB to pull this thread.

Lol, I forgot about the " lawsuit " lol. I remember there were a lot of things all going on at the same time in those threads. Doubtful much is here though - post is merely a repost of an online news story with him speaking in the first person....

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

Sure you dont mean "Barton and Justin"??? :wink:

(No offense... ;))

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Joey,

I sincerely thought the law offices of Dewey, Cheetum and Howe was handling the case. Must have misread the letter.

Lyn

JC

Coos Cues
You're dealing with a dude who can't show you how to put on a tip in a paid video without simultaneously smoking.

Just how professional do you expect him to act?:shrug:

JC

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my first purchases when I started out doing tips, was a few boxes of Super pro tips. I think I have installed 10 or 15 and they have all delaminated...
I put on minimum 500 tips a year, probebaly closer to 1000 and no other brand delaminates like the tips from Joe. I have had a few customers bring me his Kamui copy, and it`s the same thing with those, they delaminate. It does not matter if you use a razor (I always do 1 tip - 1 blade) carbide or newly sharpened HSS.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
You're dealing with a dude who can't show you how to put on a tip in a paid video without simultaneously smoking.

JC

LOL..... "Ain't that right Bob?"

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first and last dealing with this guy was for a Westinghouse micarta ferrule. I purchased, he shipped. When I recieved it I dropped it off with my local repairman and the next day he called me to tell me before he did anything with it he looked at it with magnifiers and it had 2 cracks in it.

When I contacted Joe about an exchange he insisted myself or my repairman cracked it. Granted, nobody did anything with it other than look at it. It was a faulty product and the man just didn't stand behind what he was selling. Didn't want to see pictures, didn't offer a return or a refund. I didn't bother pushing the issue with him as I've read enough nonsense about him and his business practices I just chalked it up to "I should've known better".

That's my encounter with him.....and there won't be another.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll admit it, Joe burned me once, never again.

Don't let him tell you he knows Shafts.

I purchased 10 Purpleheart Shaft dowels a few years back.

I was a better judge of woods BEFORE building my first cue than Joe was on those ten Shafts. First shaft I went to turn down was so warped that the center would have been GONE, impossible to make a shaft. The next one had grain runoff in less than two inches, when building houses, even when blocking, not one sub I ever hired would use such crappy runoff, they learned at a young age to cut the crap and throw it out. Of the ten, I made some dowels and simply smiled and moved on.

The only reason I am now making the public for the first time is the email I got this weekend, it forced me to open an attachment, in it was this whole deal in his side only. That is no way to solicit business from me.

(At this time I believe I get my shafts from as good a supplier as it gets, not cheap but well worth it, Thanks Bill.)

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sent joe an email asking him to remove me from his list, I also gave him a kind opinion that it was wrong of him to send me an email of his problems with another person.

Here is the response;

"You’re entitled to your opinion just as am I.

Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of that email; dumb ****."

When you go thru life calling other people names, you fail to learn anything.

I see now what he did when people tried to tell him what a good shaft is.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, maybe it's me but, I think Shawn did come across as a putz. The whole, "do you know who you're talking to" thing is arrogant and off putting and I don't blame the guy one bit for how he reacted.

Again, maybe it's just me but I would have told him to pound sand up his ass too.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
First time here in ages and I see nothing has changed!

I met Joe through one of the threads bashing him. He sent me a PM that he didn't want my business. My reply "Not a problem, I don't need the headaches!" From that unlikely start we talked a little bit. I have dealt with most of the cue suppliers, two of the most respected took me over the hurdles. One was a great puckered smelly ass about it besides.

I had several good deals with Joe, then some ivory came in light, way light. I put it on the scales, snapped a picture, and e-mailed it to Joe. Joe said he would fill the shortage on the original order and resend the original order. I assumed he misspoke and expected to see the rest of my order. Nope, he 200% covered the problem! Filled the rest of the first order and doubled it at no charge.

While most that don't build cues aren't aware of it, Joe is a major supplier, supplying some things to other suppliers! He is also a major legal ivory trader. He got in trouble awhile back but they never proved one crumb of ivory illegal. He paid a quarter million dollar fine and went on about his business.

Joe has issues with maybe 2% of his customers from what he told me. He figures he can have fun with two percent and not worry about it. He is brash and likes to make his own fun. Doesn't make him a bad guy, actually makes him a lot like Shawn best I recall.

I like Joe and when I was messing with cues he was my primary supplier. If I ever make it Florida way I will pass by and say hello, after calling. I live out in the boonies now and while I don't shoot first I may be prepared to repel boarders when uninvited visitors arrive myself.

Hu

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
The guy sounds like a dick to me.
Name calling is a stupid thing for a business owner to initiate.
If he spoke like that to customers' faces he'd get his ass kicked daily.
Assuming the above claims are true, Joe needs to drink some bleach.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JC

Don't get me started on Joe's dvd's JC :)
I actually bought those on ebay when I was starting out. About the only thing I learned was that Joe has a big ego...

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't get me started on Joe's dvd's JC :)
I actually bought those on ebay when I was starting out. About the only thing I learned was that Joe has a big ego...

If your going to offer something for the world to see. You might have some sought of ego besides the desire to teach, offer, share,sell. Etc etc etc.
Look at your signature? Just sayin. :grin-square:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your going to offer something for the world to see. You might have some sought of ego besides the desire to teach, offer, share,sell. Etc etc etc.
Look at your signature? Just sayin. :grin-square:

Hehe :wink:
Happy now ? :)

Last edited: