Los Angeles area players from the past

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the late '60s around Hollywood and the Valley, you had Hollywood Jack, Tony Ola, Jerry Matchin, Coke, Fitz, Louie St. Pierre (The Magic Man), John Henderson, Harry Cohen; and in billiards, Allen Gilbert (Gold) and Jose Torres. I can recall other faces, but not the names.

~Doc

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about Little Steve Kolari from San Diego area? The dude played a good shortstop speed and had some gamble.

Coyt Chapman and Billy Graves also come to mind.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember a Mexican guy who played with an open bridge and ran out as good as anybody I ever saw play, I never did know his name though.
Medium to stocky build and about 5'.8". In 74 he was probably about 30 years old.
It wasn't Ernesto or Ron Rosas .

I want to say Gil Mascareno. He was a helluva player, beat Sigel for the cash one time! He got killed in a car crash in Mexico maybe 20 years ago. Kind of like Rafael Martinez in that he would play anyone and was probably the favorite. Not much for tournaments, only wanted to gamble and bet high. That's the guy!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,

Remember Petter Gunn, Artesian Kenny? Ritchie and I and many others played in the ring game in Bellflower. Seemed like the game lasted forever.

Bill S.

I played Peter Gunn (Len Wesson) several times at my poolroom in Bakersfield. He actually grew up there and competed as teenagers with Bakersfield Bobby many times. They made each other into great players. Two of the best ever on bar tables. Bobby used to come in my poolroom as well when he was in town.

Kenny and I had a memorable Bank Pool game one night at my poolroom. He loved to play Banks and so did I. I closed the place at 2 AM and we played until daylight. Pretty strong game for the 1970's, $75 a game (he chose the bet), Short Rack Banks. I got a little bit the best of it that night but we became fast friends from then on. Kenny still lives somewhere up in the Northwest, Portland area I believe.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the late '60s around Hollywood and the Valley, you had Hollywood Jack, Tony Ola, Jerry Matchin, Coke, Fitz, Louie St. Pierre (The Magic Man), John Henderson, Harry Cohen; and in billiards, Allen Gilbert (Gold) and Jose Torres. I can recall other faces, but not the names.

~Doc

I played all these guys at one time or another, except for Louie. I played Harry Cohen $5 9-Ball at Chopstix and didn't know who he was. He kept trying to raise the bet and I refused, having only $20 in my pocket. I won about $30 and he quit. Later on I was told I had no chance in the game. I don't know. I could play a little back then. :rolleyes:

Of course I didn't play Billiards with Allen (only the national champ) or Frank Torres (also a national champion). Allen passed away but I think Frank is still in Vegas where he had the poolroom (Crystal Palace) near downtown for a long time.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
AZB's Own Frank the Barber Almanza is a legend and still wields a mighty stick. And a good dude.

Ernesto and Morro Paez were the two best around L.A. until Jose Parica moved into the neighborhood! Frank has been a good player all his life. Good enough to compete against anyone. Still plays good One Pocket in his 70's now. There was another guy who was just as good as Morro or Ernesto for the cash - Francisco Galindo! He could come with it and beat quite a few road men. Francisco opened a little bar/poolroom in East L.A. and pretty much retired from competition. Really nice guy and a former champion amateur boxer. He was built a little like Danny Diliberto (wiry) and even moved around the table like him. Probably hit like him too. I sure didn't want to find out. :wink:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Talking of Mexican players, we had the best in L.A. Big Sergio, Little Al, Al Nicarauga, Mario and Joe Salazar of course. They ruled on bar tables for years until some long haired kid named Keith came along and fried all of them. They nicknamed Keith "El Diablo" for good reason. He ended up spotting every one of them (at least the eight and often more) and bar-b-que'ing them over and over again!

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I can't believe no one has not mentioned, Cecil the Serpent Tugwell. A comeplete ahole, but could everything pretty sporty. Worst human I ever met around the pr!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hasn't Ernesto been top speed for many decades, and from California??

Td

When Ernestp first came into L.A. as a young man, he was known as "Alonzo" and didn't speak English. He had a posse and hit all the pool rooms and bars just about every night looking for money games. Years later suddenly he became Ernesto and spoke English. He was always a strong player and had a lot of money games.

Jerry Chapel was a strong player and friend. He died at an early age, unfortunately. Then for hustlers there was Cuban Joe and Crazy Bruce. Hawaii Brian played in LA for a few years.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't believe no one has not mentioned, Cecil the Serpent Tugwell. A comeplete ahole, but could everything pretty sporty. Worst human I ever met around the pr!

I did mention Cecil in post #1. I really prefer not to say too much about him, although we did have some good (and bad) times together. He ended up just another sad crackhead.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ernesto and Morro Paez were the two best around L.A. until Jose Parica moved into the neighborhood! Frank has been a good player all his life. Good enough to compete against anyone. Still plays good One Pocket in his 70's now. There was another guy who was just as good as Morro or Ernesto for the cash - Francisco Galindo! He could come with it and beat quite a few road men. Francisco opened a little bar/poolroom in East L.A. and pretty much retired from competition. Really nice guy and a former champion amateur boxer. He was built a little like Danny Diliberto (wiry) and even moved around the table like him. Probably hit like him too. I sure didn't want to find out. :wink:

I’m pleased someone mentioned Francisco Galindo....I was asking Ernesto’s kid about
him just a little while ago.....I hope he is well...love his game.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arturo Rivera (who passed a couple of years ago) was another very strong Mexican player.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Monrovia John. And Smiley and Tuna at Mr. Cues in Riverside.

Wonder if these 3 guys are still around?

Kevin

Tuna (Manuel Ayala) has been in Houston for at least 20 years. Still plays good, but doesn’t get out too much for action anymore

Andy Hughes

Registered
No, I can’t remember the name of the walk down room you are taking about, Jay. I had been in it though numerous times. Pete’s was almost across the street from Bob’s Big Boy & there was a bar called The Scene with two bar tables next to that.

Andy - Las Vegas

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, I can’t remember the name of the walk down room you are taking about, Jay. I had been in it though numerous times. Pete’s was almost across the street from Bob’s Big Boy & there was a bar called The Scene with two bar tables next to that.

Andy - Las Vegas

There was a big poolroom on Colorado that opened back in the 90's with lots of nice Gold Crowns that I went in several times and practiced. It was a real nice place and probably lasted 10-15 years before closing. And then there was Charles Billiards on Brand Blvd. that may still be there for all I know. And another little room with a 50's type decor close to Brand and San Fernando Rd. There was also a big room for years on Los Feliz (in the 90's and beyond) and another older small poolroom further up San Fernando Rd. Those were the days when there were poolroom everywhere! Over 300 in the greater Los Angeles area!

I think that poolroom in Pasadena on the main drag is still there. Corey Harper would know. I took Tang there when he won an entry into one of the IPT events. Beat George Michaels in the finals.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to say Gil Mascareno. He was a helluva player, beat Sigel for the cash one time! He got killed in a car crash in Mexico maybe 20 years ago. Kind of like Rafael Martinez in that he would play anyone and was probably the favorite. Not much for tournaments, only wanted to gamble and bet high. That's the guy!
Hey Jay, does R. Martinez still play? He came in second at Gabe's 1p event in Tulsa(2010) to S. Ochoa. Last time i've seen or heard of him.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
There was a big poolroom on Colorado that opened back in the 90's with lots of nice Gold Crowns that I went in several times and practiced. It was a real nice place and probably lasted 10-15 years before closing. And then there was Charles Billiards on Brand Blvd. that may still be there for all I know. And another little room with a 50's type decor close to Brand and San Fernando Rd. There was also a big room for years on Los Feliz (in the 90's and beyond) and another older small poolroom further up San Fernando Rd. Those were the days when there were poolroom everywhere! Over 300 in the greater Los Angeles area!

I think that poolroom in Pasadena on the main drag is still there. Corey Harper would know. I took Tang there when he won an entry into one of the IPT events. Beat George Michaels in the finals.

That would be Jake’s (IPT qualifier) - closed a couple years ago. Charles in Glendale closed just about a month ago.

Chris MacDonald spent a lot of time down here 25 years ago - strong overall player, but especially banks & one-pocket. “Bomber” Dickie Renk - terrific 9-Ball player. Bobby Yamasaki deserves mentioning I think. Chico Williams had a streak of really good play in the 90’s. “Hawaiian Jimmy” Schaefer can still be seen around, but also had some heavy action runs in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Although they weren’t from here, nor took up residence, but I see them so often I’ll claim them as honorary Angelenos: Efren, Bustamante, Pagulayan, Luat, and of course Parica and Sambajon (actual residents). How about “Texas Bob” or John Borba (I think Santos retired him...).

Lots, and lots more - I can picture them all, but forget many names. Some where you never actually knew their name, just their “handle” or nickname.

Pretty wide range of players mentioned in this thread; some just shortstops and others National & International Championship level speed. I’m excited to have known and competed against many, if not most, of those mentioned. I miss the old days...

I’m no fan of the present billiard “flavor” of L.A.