Pool Hustlers, Tell us the Truth

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i guess you are an obvious target.:rolleyes:
This guy's either tougher than Chuck Norris on 'roids or he is a complete idiot. I don't know what rooms he's speaking of but if he pulled that " i'm not payin 'cause you hustled me" in my neck of the woods it would be on like Donkey Kong. Look, we're not in church when it come to gambling at pool. Buyer beware is the motto of the day. Just 'cause somebody is too dense to know he's a mark doesn't allow non-payment. Some of THE worst fights i've ever witnessed started over this. Some butt-hurt loser wants to go out in the parking lot. Some things never change.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you play pool? Hmm. :grin:

Anybody who hasn't heard of Alex the Lion in the pool world, well, that's very unusual. :eek:

Internal Revenue Service comes to mind. :eek:

I have not watched much on TV but I did watch him yesterday. He is amazing.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy's either tougher than Chuck Norris on 'roids or he is a complete idiot. I don't know what rooms he's speaking of but if he pulled that " i'm not payin 'cause you hustled me" in my neck of the woods it would be on like Donkey Kong. Look, we're not in church when it come to gambling at pool. Buyer beware is the motto of the day. Just 'cause somebody is too dense to know he's a mark doesn't allow non-payment. Some of THE worst fights i've ever witnessed started over this. Some butt-hurt loser wants to go out in the parking lot. Some things never change.
^ what he said.^
(I, for one, don't believe a word of his post.)
People who don't pay off on bets, no matter what the 'reason', don't live very long.
He's just being rhetorical.
:thumbup:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never mentioned not paying because i was losing I was VERY specific- in any situation of money exchanging hands- will never give up mine if i KNOW that i was intentionally deceived- you want to- go ahead- I NEVER have and never will- not a tough guy at all- just not willing to be somebody's fool either especially when it comes to my EARNED money. Really "wailed on" by the hustler himself- OK bring that on- or you talking a roomful of guys- glad you give up your dough so easily- send some this way if it doesn't mean that much to you. I have walked away from being hustled more than once and in foreign rooms as well and NEVER had anyone willing to fight me for their dishonest dough.

I had to stop going to play pool with my best friend cause he was always picking fights, the last time earned him a trip to jail, the guy he fought earned an early set of dentures

Over 10 bucks :frown: , I personally would have just paid up. It was that silly trick shot where you bump the table so the balls spread and the cueball hits the hidden ball (two balls frozen on rail, one ball is on top of the rail behind the two and the target).

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
nobody but a moron fights anymore

I had to stop going to play pool with my best friend cause he was always picking fights, the last time earned him a trip to jail, the guy he fought earned an early set of dentures

Over 10 bucks :frown: , I personally would have just paid up. It was that silly trick shot where you bump the table so the balls spread and the cueball hits the hidden ball (two balls frozen on rail, one ball is on top of the rail behind the two and the target).

Only a moron or somebody that has nothing and doesn't expect to have anything fights anymore. Used to be you could kick somebody's ass that deserved it and be right back in the same place the next night if you even left the night of the fight. Now you get police, criminal charges, civil suits, taking care of all of this impacts your job. Medical bills for you run into thousands, tens of thousands for the other person's medical bills.

People aren't as tough as they used to be so doing somebody real damage and paying out real bucks or doing pen time are real possibilities. I know of somebody doing eight years for self-defense, they defended themselves too well.

Hu

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players today don't know how to hustle, hence the ones that think they know how are easy to spot.
Makes me laugh when I see them try to hustle someone. Its a joke. You can't seduce a women who doesn't want you and you can't hustle a pool player who doesn't want
your money. Hustling is about people management. And those people have to want your money or there is no game.

This^! It's amazing what people who PLAY pool don't know about PLAYERS. And hustlers and hustling. Try and explain it to one if you like to be exasperated.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Only a moron or somebody that has nothing and doesn't expect to have anything fights anymore. Used to be you could kick somebody's ass that deserved it and be right back in the same place the next night if you even left the night of the fight. Now you get police, criminal charges, civil suits, taking care of all of this impacts your job. Medical bills for you run into thousands, tens of thousands for the other person's medical bills.

People aren't as tough as they used to be so doing somebody real damage and paying out real bucks or doing pen time are real possibilities. I know of somebody doing eight years for self-defense, they defended themselves too well.

Hu
What you wrote is 100% true. I had to stop hanging around with a guy because every time we went out, usually to shoot pool, he was trying to start fights. I kept telling him exactly what you said, it's just not worth it.

About 3 months after I stopped hanging around with him, he is at our home bar playing pool. He hugged someone's wife, the husband didn't appreciate it. Said so. And my ex-friend hit him when he was walking away.

The one punch was bad enough, because he knocked him out cold with the first one, but the surveillance video provided to the police indicated that he then got on top of him and hit him 16 more times, breaking his jaw, and putting him in a coma.

He got jail, years of probation that didn't even allowing him to go into a bar, let alone drink. He then tried to commit suicide. And he still owes that guy $50k in medical expenses that he is still trying to pay via a monthly installments.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I had a guy try that ‘gotta bump the table’ gaff on me years ago...
...he was a pretty good player from a small town and thought he knew stuff..:rolleyes:
...we just bet $5....so he sets up to hit whitey....I move in close....
...as soon as he hit the cue ball, I tackled him like a foot ball player....heh, heh
As he’s going backward on his ass, he kicked the table at the last second.....
...I couldn’t stop laughing....:killingme:

I paid him his fin and told him to order whatever he wanted from the lunch counter...
...that was quick thinking.
:)

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I love the story in Cornbread's book.
He said he would walk into a new place and ask, "Who's the best player in this town?"
After they answered he'd say, "Well you better call him up and tell him he's the SECOND best now!" Lol
No hustling. Just balls. Haha

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fighter guy is all smoke. If you are going to talk, talk, If you are going to fight, fight. But don't talk about fighting, it just looks like fifth-grade school yard bragging. So-and-so isn't going to do such-and-such to me! I'm baaaad! And Proud!

Stretch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Two of my favorite Alex comebacks, one was when a he was asked what his favorite game was, he said "the one with the most money on it" haha and one time on the subject of luck he said "you got to know HOW to get lucky". Love watching him play and his enthusiasm for the sport. St.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Two of my favorite Alex comebacks, one was when a he was asked what his favorite game was, he said "the one with the most money on it" haha and one time on the subject of luck he said "you got to know HOW to get lucky". Love watching him play and his enthusiasm for the sport. St.

My favorite Lion line....when questioned about how good he was...
...”I might not be the best....but I’ll gamble with the best.”

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
"Pool Hustlers" are the reason this game is dying. Recreational players don't want to walk in a pool hall and be bothered to gamble by some drug addicted ball of puss trying to hustle them out of their money. There are no successful "pool hustlers" anymore. You can spot them a mile away. Most of the time they are just trying to win some fast cash to get their next fix. The world doesn't need pool huslters. The world needs more guys like Charlie Bryant that actually want to promote the game and make it better. Guys that want to create fair tournaments and stop the cheating and sideways BS that has been going on for far too long. The pool world doesn't need hustlers, stop glorifying them.

At the poolhall I'm a regular at, the bangers are pretty much never harassed by the action players. Most of the action stays among the gamblers at the front of the room. On the rare occasion a banger will bark, but hardly ever is it the other way around because It's mainly a waste of time and effort. The hacks are not going to match up.

The poolhall is recently converted to a bar grill and still has over 30 gold crowns. So it get's way more bangers then regular players, still... they are left alone because it's an exercise in futility.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there was a BCAPL player who did get banned...for purposely keeping his Fargo ranking low. Evidently, he bragged about doing so on social media...kinda crapped in his own nest.

That said, it didn't keep me out of my favorite pool hall. Those there know me & my wife aren't any action. It's a great recreational game...but that's all it is to us. Pretty easy to say no if anybody asks to gamble. Doesn't bother me if some think I'm weird...I think they're fools for trying to make a living out of the game. To each his won...

Dang let people do what they do , Let gamblers gamble , let non gamblers not gamble , let watchers watch and finally let haters hate ! If u have a great life live it people and if some pool players out there wanna be broke , get staked and chase the 9 ball let them do it .... It's a free country and some of my best buddies are pool players and so am I !!!!!! I was in tons of trouble as a teenager and pool saved me and gave me something to do instead of hanging on the streets. 30 years later I'm still playing pool once in a while and retired from working the same job . Y'all worry bout wives and shit , let us pool players worry bout pool cuz we got this ! Judging people lol....

bstroud

Deceased
"Pool Hustlers" are the reason this game is dying. Recreational players don't want to walk in a pool hall and be bothered to gamble by some drug addicted ball of puss trying to hustle them out of their money. There are no successful "pool hustlers" anymore. You can spot them a mile away. Most of the time they are just trying to win some fast cash to get their next fix. The world doesn't need pool huslters. The world needs more guys like Charlie Bryant that actually want to promote the game and make it better. Guys that want to create fair tournaments and stop the cheating and sideways BS that has been going on for far too long. The pool world doesn't need hustlers, stop glorifying them.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about!

No one can make a living playing in pool tournaments.

Bill S.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to be. I look at all the tourneys that Big Truck streams, the tourneys at Buffalo Billiards, 2 turning stones, etc. My main point was 'hustlers' kept pool alive in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's. Tourneys were mostly to get all the players in one room so they could gamble. Wasn't much money in tourneys in my day..60's & 70's...but a lot of action. Beenie's place was the action spot on the east coast ( except for Detroit ).
Action most nites , top players every month, road players, short stops, working guys with disposable income, and of course some dealers & bookies ( although most bookies didn't gamble much, they were used to having the nutz ! ). Players today don't know how to hustle, hence the ones that think they know how are easy to spot.
Makes me laugh when I see them try to hustle someone. Its a joke. You can't seduce a women who doesn't want you and you can't hustle a pool player who doesn't want
your money. Hustling is about people management. And those people have to want your money or there is no game.

Dang you guys know all about Hustling huh! I'm not asking I'm saying you guys know everything there is to know about everything. Bet you guys are the ones hanging around the pool room at 11:00 am sharp to get the best table in the room and hog it all day while spending 50 cents on coffee and don't tip your server a dime . Meanwhile gripe about PayPal 8$ for all day pool and just talk about who is in town and when the pool player walks in you say hey how are you can I stake you or you can stay at my house and I'll tell you who the score is and we can split it !!!!! Every pool room has pool players and wanna bees .... I like everyone, pool players , wanna bees , haters , heartless pool players , heartless wanna bees and most of all I like me . let this world keep going around the way it is and enjoy it or get a table at home and be a hermit. I enjoy watching action and participating in it some people like it on the wild side man . Are you not entertained lol😝

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you lived in the South Bay area of Southern California in the mid 60s I have some of your money:D

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about!
No one can make a living playing in pool tournaments.
Bill S.
No, it isn't "obvious"at all. Suppose I say the same to you...that it's obvious you don't know what You're talking about.
That'd make a lot of sense, wouldn't it ? Yea, surrrrre it would.
He makes some good points about being pestered by pool room bums who "just want to play some cheap". They do very little to further the business or the public impression of pool.
Just because you possibly like to ambush someone, doesn't mean most people want to put up with it.
I'm well aware that you're a big time hero in the pool world, but there are others of us who are not. And we have legitimate feelings and concerns about the game too.
And we spend a lot of money........in the environment that suits us.
As for "no one can make a living playing pool in tournaments"................then get a job. (or join up with the democrats and protest about something. I hear that pays pretty good.)

Last edited: