Pool Hustlers, Tell us the Truth

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've read a lot of your posts.
You've got the idea that you're pretty smart also.
Lots of guys out there who're smarter.
Next time Alex the Lion is getting staked in a heavy match....PM me and you can bet against the Lion. I'll go busted betting on him. (I'm able to travel cheap)
And you can enjoy one of your favorite things.

Who is Alex the Lion? Where can I see him play?

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember one old pool hustler,I played him in a nine ball tournament 20 yrs prior
and I didn't stand a chance. He ended up working at the pool hall.Cleaning floors and
tables.He slept on a cot in the storage room, he died in that pool room.Sad

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I remember one old pool hustler,I played him in a nine ball tournament 20 yrs prior
and I didn't stand a chance. He ended up working at the pool hall.Cleaning floors and
tables.He slept on a cot in the storage room, he died in that pool room.Sad

But he died doing what he loved doing... there're far worse ways to go.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
You know what happens in other sports if you hustle or dump? You get banned, sometimes for life. You need to attract people not actively find ways to push them out the poolhall.

I know there was a BCAPL player who did get banned...for purposely keeping his Fargo ranking low. Evidently, he bragged about doing so on social media...kinda crapped in his own nest.

That said, it didn't keep me out of my favorite pool hall. Those there know me & my wife aren't any action. It's a great recreational game...but that's all it is to us. Pretty easy to say no if anybody asks to gamble. Doesn't bother me if some think I'm weird...I think they're fools for trying to make a living out of the game. To each his won...

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously?? Are you a ex-SEAL or some other certified bad-ass? The reason i ask is if you'd tried to pull that "i'm pissed so i'm not payin" shit in 99.99999% rooms i played in you'd have gotten wailed on. Its simple, when you FINALLY figure out you've been had just pay off and quit. NOT paying is usually(more like always) a sure-fire way to have one's dental work re-arranged.

Never mentioned not paying because i was losing I was VERY specific- in any situation of money exchanging hands- will never give up mine if i KNOW that i was intentionally deceived- you want to- go ahead- I NEVER have and never will- not a tough guy at all- just not willing to be somebody's fool either especially when it comes to my EARNED money. Really "wailed on" by the hustler himself- OK bring that on- or you talking a roomful of guys- glad you give up your dough so easily- send some this way if it doesn't mean that much to you. I have walked away from being hustled more than once and in foreign rooms as well and NEVER had anyone willing to fight me for their dishonest dough.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Never mentioned not paying because i was losing I was VERY specific- in any situation of money exchanging hands- will never give up mine if i KNOW that i was intentionally deceived- you want to- go ahead- I NEVER have and never will- not a tough guy at all- just not willing to be somebody's fool either especially when it comes to my EARNED money. Really "wailed on" by the hustler himself- OK bring that on- or you talking a roomful of guys- glad you give up your dough so easily- send some this way if it doesn't mean that much to you. I have walked away from being hustled more than once and in foreign rooms as well and NEVER had anyone willing to fight me for their dishonest dough.

Remind me never to play poker with you...I check-raised a guy with your attitude...
...captured his stack in a stud table stakes game...
...he didn’t speak to me for a couple years.

Just don’t gamble
Good competitors are like gladiators that CHOOSE to step into the arena...
...we can give it....and we can take it.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gunn Slinger...They do? Maybe overseas, but not here in the USA...unless you consider the 'amateur' tournaments that many pros play in, because there are very few "pro" tournaments at all. I can think of a half dozen.

Mike Massey was also one of those 'scumbag' hustlers back in the day! That was before he and Charlie (among other pros) 'found God' and decided to change their ways.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Pros have many tourneys to play in with sponsors ( aka stake horses ).

ps Hillbilly was one of those hustlers you think are scum for a lot of years. And a very good one.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good competitors are like gladiators that CHOOSE to step into the arena...
...we can give it....and we can take it.[/QUOTE]

Truer words have not been spoken PT

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i guess you are an obvious target.:rolleyes:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Just saw the name of the thread.
True hustlers never tell the truth.

If you don't see the pigeon you're it.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easiest way to get rid of a hustler................"I'm busted man, I can't gamble for a 5 dollar bill, and nobody thinks enough of the way I shoot to back me. Sorry"
End of problem....(if you choose to call it a problem)
All people who play for money are 'hustlers'....Chess hustlers, checker hustlers, domino hustlers, golf hustlers, tennis, street type basketball, cards, everyone is just trying to get by.
I know an older lady who supplements her pension with about 24 grand a year playing canasta, of all things. And she only uses two muck moves to get an edge.
The biggest hustlers in the world are lawyers. They're just like other hustlers, if they don't smell money they aren't interested.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Pretty sure I’ve never won money from someone who wasn’t trying to take mine.

And there you have it broken down to it's base component.

Gotta wonder if Mikemosconi who gets violent and quits if he thinks he's being "hustled'' gives back the money to the players he defeats at the end if he realizes he's the better player. My guess is he sees that differently.

JC

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, you're a pool hustler. Do you have a regular job, pay social security, maybe a retirement? What time at night do you have to leave your house to make some pay? Are you married? I'm asking these questions because I love the game. I think it's as complicated as chess BUT I would never admire the guys that try to make money at it. I was pretty good at golf, but we had a beer afterwards and we were home with our wives afterwards. I don't play league anymore because it starts at 7PM and hate watching a 2 or 3 play pool. I'm not sure if a pool hustler hustling right now would even own a computer, but maybe we'll see.
In the 1980's my son got interested in pool at age 13. We used to go down to the Cue Club in Las Vegas and play. Everyone told me I should come out about midnight or so to watch the world champions in 8 ball or 9 ball play One Pocket. I would love to see them play (at noon or so) but I never did, I'm in bed when they go out.
So much a different life that what most of us have.
Please tell us how much you enjoy your skill..

Pool is not as complicated as chess.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
patterns

Pool is not as complicated as chess.

Pool isn't as complicated as chess but playing chess and watching or developing three or four patterns around the table sure made it easy to read pool patterns almost at a glance. I played a lot of chess slow times at work. When I read Efren played chess I thought the same thing about seeing patterns easily. Unfortunately that is about all I had in common with Efren!

Hu

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is Alex the Lion? Where can I see him play?

Are you sure you play pool? Hmm. :grin:

Anybody who hasn't heard of Alex the Lion in the pool world, well, that's very unusual. :eek:

Internal Revenue Service comes to mind. :eek:

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
I left a well paying job and moved to a big city to play pool for money.

I have a part-time job.

I either go to pool halls and start practicing until someone wants to play, or I travel to tournaments, don't compete and play after-hours. Occasionally line up money games via room owners.

I make average $500/week from pool (averaging wins and losses). Not a ton of money, pays the bills.

I only play as good as I have to to win.

Everyone complaining pool is dead, I have no problem finding action in places I've never been. You have to watch out though, I was in the middle of nowhere Iowa, hit up what I think is a truck-stop pool hall, turns out the owner was housing a bunch of filipino champs and had me stuck good.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Very easy way to stop the hustle- if I ever suspected that someone was hiding their speed and then they turned it on for the gamble, I just ended the game right there- making it clear that no money was changing hands at that point unless only one of us was walking out of the joint alive- and was willing to back that up-NEVER had anyone take me up on that - Hustler happy to go on to the next mark without the hassle. I consider that type of hustle the same as anyone else using deception to take my money- what kind of man would allow that to happen without being willing to put up a fight- not this one!

Wow...One day you're going to get beaten up, badly. There are messed up people in this world who don't make rational or even sane decisions about consequences when they get angry. There are more of those people than you think, and if you run into one of these folks, you're in for it. I don't really care for hustlers (to say the least) but if you're pulling this kind of shit...well people are going to get very angry with you. People get killed over 5 dollars in bars all over the world, you know. Some day you might run into someone who can and will fight or even take your life over chump change. I don't care how tough you think you are, if someone puts a knife in your guts or hits you over the head with a bottle, you are probably going down or at least getting a life changing injury. As unbelievable as this may seem, people will pull knives over small bets, especially in a bar setting. If they are close to you, it's very difficult to avoid getting cut, EVEN if you have a gun. Getting cut with a knife is never pleasant. I'd be very, very careful if I were you. I don't consider 5 dollars to be worth dying for, not even 1000 dollars. So I don't really gamble much with strangers. It's your life, so make your own call about that, but know that you are significantly increasing your risk of actually having to put your life on the line for whatever level of bet you are making.

When you gamble, you pay up if you lose. If you have a problem with that, don't gamble. Nobody likes getting stiffed, and nobody likes a stiff artist. Especially one that brags about it. I've been stiffed myself, and didn't much care for it. If some accident was to befall the person who perpetrated this particular deed, I wouldn't shed a tear. Others may feel more, how should one express it, inclined to facilitate said accident...

As far as most people are concerned the worst kind of people you can encounter when gambling are:

1. Thiefs who flat out run out the door with your money.
2. Stiff artists (which are basically the same, but only steal the size of the bet, rather than your whole wallet). THis is where most people would put you, for your information. When you gamble and the person beats you while staying within the rules of the game, you don't get to decide wether or not you pay. That's not how the world works. Let's say the guy was legitimately a hustler, by what means would you establish this? What's to stop you from making a false judgement, and holding back money from honest gamblers, or flat out don't pay anybody? This is what people will think, even those without any connection to the bet, so you will be struggling to find anyone to back you up. Better stay in your home room and be a good tipper, if you're employing your "no-pay" strategy.
3. Cheats
4. Sharks (I mean people who use obnoxious and over the top methods to try to distract you while you are shooting.
. Hustlers, who hide their speed by pretending to be weak players (acting). I'd say this kind of people are not really in the league of those above. You can still win if you play well and play your game. The other four interfere with your ability to play or collect, which is way worse.

Last edited:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gunn Slinger...They do? Maybe overseas, but not here in the USA...unless you consider the 'amateur' tournaments that many pros play in, because there are very few "pro" tournaments at all. I can think of a half dozen.

Mike Massey was also one of those 'scumbag' hustlers back in the day! That was before he and Charlie (among other pros) 'found God' and decided to change their ways.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Seems to be. I look at all the tourneys that Big Truck streams, the tourneys at Buffalo Billiards, 2 turning stones, etc. My main point was 'hustlers' kept pool alive in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's. Tourneys were mostly to get all the players in one room so they could gamble. Wasn't much money in tourneys in my day..60's & 70's...but a lot of action. Beenie's place was the action spot on the east coast ( except for Detroit ).
Action most nites , top players every month, road players, short stops, working guys with disposable income, and of course some dealers & bookies ( although most bookies didn't gamble much, they were used to having the nutz ! ). Players today don't know how to hustle, hence the ones that think they know how are easy to spot.
Makes me laugh when I see them try to hustle someone. Its a joke. You can't seduce a women who doesn't want you and you can't hustle a pool player who doesn't want
your money. Hustling is about people management. And those people have to want your money or there is no game.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you play pool? Hmm. :grin:
Anybody who hasn't heard of Alex the Lion in the pool world, well, that's very unusual. :eek:
Internal Revenue Service comes to mind. :eek:
Now that is an astute observation...the gestapo is everywhere.
Hitler IRS Founder.jpg