14'4" x 18'2", big enough???

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
I am searching, but still asking....

So I am buying a new home, New room is 14'4" x 18'2". I currently have a 7' diamond pro am and know it will fit, BUT, I'm considering selling and buying a diamond 9'...

Opinions? Thanks

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Need 10' each way. I'd keep the 7'er and have plenty room. And if I was in Oregon I'd spend the $ I saved on some weed! lol

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry but no.

Playing surface is 50”, most cues are 57”-60”.

That means shooting off the rail is almost impossible

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So I am buying a new home, New room is 14'4" x 18'2". I currently have a 7' diamond pro am and know it will fit, BUT, I'm considering selling and buying a diamond 9'...

Opinions? Thanks

IMO, it's not enough room.

Do your measuring from the nose of cushion.....

Width needs to be at least:

50+(length of cue x 2)+(backswing x 2).......dont forget stance

Length = 100+(length of cue x 2)+(backswing x 2)......dont forget about stance + additional room for breaking.

Dont underestimate your backswing and back foot when in stance!!!!!!!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
QUOTE=cbi1000;6299686]I am searching, but still asking....

Opinions? Thanks[/QUOTE]

its gonna be a lil tight on the sides and no problems on the ends\

58" cue x 2 + table width 65" = 181" = 15.0833333 feet
the rails are at least 7" wide - I placed the cue at the outside edge of the table.

If you were putting nothing else in the room on either it would work out. Just depends on what you are doing with the room! Good Luck

Trent from Toledo

NINE FOOT TABLE: 4.5' X 9'
(Playing area: 50" x 100")
58" cue : C - 14' x 18'

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say go for it if you want a 9'. You have enough room.

In the long direction, you will have 59" from the cushion nose to the wall. That leaves room for a 1" backswing if you are using a 58" cue.

In the short direction you will have 61" from the cushion nose to the wall. That leaves room for a 3" backswing if you are using a 58" cue.

One important thing to be sure of is the measurements you gave. Did you take them yourself by measuring with a tape measure from wall to wall? Or are they off of some floor plan provided by a realtor or builder? I would not trust a floor plan measurement as far as I could throw a 9' pool table.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Opinions? Thanks
You're close enough to likely get by with some minimal constraints if you really wanting the 9-footer, but you generally you need a minimum of 14'6" width by 18'8 length" for a 9-foot table. That gives you a 4-inch backstroke if your ball if frozen against either side rail or end rail, and you're stroking perpendicular to the rail.

Last edited:

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14' 4" x 18' x 2"

Sorry Craig but its not big enough. My room is 23' x 14' 4". Its just big enough to fit my Olhausen 8'+ (46 x 92) with a 4" stroke and 9' will not fit!

Sincerely,

Bob Olson
TWOFORPOOL

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Sorry Craig but its not big enough. My room is 23' x 14' 4". Its just big enough to fit my Olhausen 8'+ (46 x 92) with a 4" stroke and 9' will not fit!

Sincerely,

Bob Olson
TWOFORPOOL

No disrespect sir, but, you might want to learn to use a tape measure. :)

Trent from Toledo

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go for it. The times you will be perfectly perpendicular to rail will be infrequent. I would much rather have a 9 ft with a very rare shot obstruction than a 7 fter with room.

Ian

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Go for it. The times you will be perfectly perpendicular to rail will be infrequent. I would much rather have a 9 ft with a very rare shot obstruction than a 7 fter with room.

Ian

Yup, and get 52" cue made .

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Opinions? Thanks

It's possible to put a 9' table in there but it's kind of tight quarters and might prove to be uncomfortable. You cannot have anything on the sides or the ends that will obstruct how you stand or stroke. It would have to be a pretty bare room, with your pool table and maybe something small in the corners of the room, with shelves on the wall at the appropriate height. My suggestion is that you put an 8' table in there. There are many good ones to chose from. You can still play a good game of pool (it's a nice compromise size) and you will have ample room to play comfortably.

I always suggest a 15' x 19' room (five feet all the way around) is fine for a 9' table. Anything less and you can run into trouble stroking a ball on the rail and having a place to sit down. You're not that far off, so it can be done, but it may prove to be cramped quarters. Go down one size and you'll be happy imo. None other than Luther Lassiter had an 8' table that he practiced on and he was a pretty fair country player. He used to say that playing on the 8' table, "made him get his cue ball," whatever that meant. :rolleyes:

My personal poolroom at home is 15'9" x 19' and there is enough room for bar stools on one side of the table and a wall mounted cue rack on the other side (nothing on either end). There is just enough room to take a full stroke when shooting directly at a ball on the side rail. You can do it (with a 9' table) but it will be a tight fit to play comfortably if you want any furniture in the room.

Either way, ENJOY!

Last edited:

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
I say go for it if you want a 9'. You have enough room.

In the long direction, you will have 59" from the cushion nose to the wall. That leaves room for a 1" backswing if you are using a 58" cue.

In the short direction you will have 61" from the cushion nose to the wall. That leaves room for a 3" backswing if you are using a 58" cue.

One important thing to be sure of is the measurements you gave. Did you take them yourself by measuring with a tape measure from wall to wall? Or are they off of some floor plan provided by a realtor or builder? I would not trust a floor plan measurement as far as I could throw a 9' pool table.

We used a electronic measuring deal, wall to wall.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
It's possible to put a 9' table in there but it's kind of tight quarters and might prove to be uncomfortable. You cannot have anything on the sides or the ends that will obstruct how you stand or stroke. It would have to be a pretty bare room, with your pool table and maybe something small in the corners of the room, with shelves on the wall at the appropriate height. My suggestion is that you put an 8' table in there. There are many good ones to chose from. You can still play a good game of pool (it's a nice compromise size) and you will have ample room to play comfortably.

I always suggest a 15' x 19' room (five feet all the way around) is fine for a 9' table. Anything less and you can run into trouble stroking a ball on the rail and having a place to sit down. You're not that far off, so it can be done, but it may prove to be cramped quarters. Go down one size and you'll be happy imo. None other than Luther Lassiter had an 8' table that he practiced on and he was a pretty fair country player. He used to say that playing on the 8' table, "made him get his cue ball," whatever that meant. :rolleyes:

My personal poolroom at home is 15'9" x 19' and there is enough room for bar stools on one side of the table and a wall mounted cue rack on the other side (nothing on either end). There is just enough room to take a full stroke when shooting directly at a ball on the side rail. You can do it (with a 9' table) but it will be a tight fit to play comfortably if you want any furniture in the room.

Either way, ENJOY!

I had not considered a 8' table. I know there are some 44x88 home tables out there. The main reason for the 9' would be to play one pocket and straight pool. Shooting from the end rails and side to side would happen a lot I think.

Most tourney's around here are played on 7' tables so my current table is ideal for that. However, one pocket and straight pool at home would be nice.

thanks,

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a 9' GC3 in a 2 car garage, measurements of the table area noted.

31640568987_33b7112595_b.jpg

31640568497_64a1a441a3_b.jpg

For a 9' table, to be able to play comfortably, I would prefer at least another foot on all sides. For a practice table shoved into the garage, its better than nothing.

Minimum room required is just that, a minimum. As in, jacking up when the ball is on the rail because there is only a couple of inches to stroke. Not to mention if you want some stools/chairs to sit on in the space etc. Minimum space is barely playable.

And word to the wise, if you do choose the garage, you need to KNOW, that more shit will end up out there and around the table as time goes on. :thumbup:

32707690738_3fff7ffb81_b.jpg

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main reason for the 9' would be to play one pocket and straight pool. Shooting from the end rails and side to side would happen a lot I think.

Most tourney's around here are played on 7' tables so my current table is ideal for that. However, one pocket and straight pool at home would be nice.

With a little creativity you can do all that on a 7' table as well. I have a 6,5' table due to room constraints and I play all of those games on it. Sure, it is not quite as nice as on a large table but it sure is good enough for practice and fun games with buddies.

1P works well. Straight pool is not quite as great but I changed 14.1 to 9.1 and everything is fine again. 15 balls on a small table makes 14.1 a totally different game but 10 balls makes it a lot better. We all know you can't practice long distance shots but those are not that important in Straight Pool anyway.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had not considered a 8' table. I know there are some 44x88 home tables out there. The main reason for the 9' would be to play one pocket and straight pool. Shooting from the end rails and side to side would happen a lot I think.

thanks,

The over sized 8' table is 46" x 92". It would work in your space just fine. You can play all the same games as you would on a 9' table.