Siming Chen vs Donny Mills

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judging by the scores and some posts on FB it seems the difference maker quite possibly might be Donnie putting his own money in the middle as opposed to Chen having a backer

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Initially there was a little of this. Donny thought he had the edge and said so. But I have to say, Donny has for the last year been if anything respectful of Siming as a person and Siming's game. He lost three close sets all of which could easily have gone the other way.

I'm quite proud of him for stepping up. These two players and their behavior are good for the sport. No nonsense. No funny business. No putting things in the mud. No whining about details of the conditions. And graciousness in defeat and victory. Congratulations to Donny Mills and to Siming Chen. And thank you for letting us be part of it.

Agree! It was a great show by two respectful competitors.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Day 1 was where I felt like Donny could have won by a nice margin. Today he chased for many hours that wears you down. It would have been a nice comeback but yesterday he should have front run to the bank and he kinda stalled out. Today was tough cause he had an out to win. It was a nice match overall.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Props to Donny, he showed a lot of heart.

Chen should've worked more on breaking with the 9 on the spot. Rather, She was busy playing 10b and barbox 9b all day long.

Fan of both going forward.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Judging by the scores and some posts on FB it seems the difference maker quite possibly might be Donnie putting his own money in the middle as opposed to Chen having a backer

The difference is that Chen is a professional player who is rated higher than Donny is.

Donny is a semi-pro who has had 0 experience winning professional tournaments.

Chen is a stronger player. Donny is an exceptionally strong player with a day job.

That's the real bottom line. Donny could win the next time they play but he will never win every time they play and will never win the majority of the times they play.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would tend to think that the needle wouldn't have moved much for Donny and Siming of them given that they played around what was expected. Wilkie maybe a little since he outperformed expectation but with that amount of games not much.

If you bet fair match Fargo your a loser on all 3 matches , if that was the expected out come your correct, I certainly didn't see anything any of the around 780 players need to worry about in a long set especially if they don't have breaking rules to slow them down

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference is that Chen is a professional player who is rated higher than Donny is.

Donny is a semi-pro who has had 0 experience winning professional tournaments.

Chen is a stronger player. Donny is an exceptionally strong player with a day job.

That's the real bottom line. Donny could win the next time they play but he will never win every time they play and will never win the majority of the times they play.

Spot on and it really showcases the strength of the Fargo rating system.

When a higher ranked player like Chen plays a lower ranked player like Donny, it doesn't mean that Donny can't win. It just means that Chen is going to win more often.

If they played 100 sets of races to 21, and someone bet the same amount on Donny each set (without getting odds). They would be down at the end of those 100 sets.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Donny was out shot. He can't bank worth a sh!t and he had a couple of big brain farts. That being said it easily could have been 21-19 both days, in Donny's favor. yesterday Donny at 19-19 and breaking, scratches. Game over. Tonight 20-19 and he makes that dumb shot on the 6 or 7 and rolls straight into the 9 trying to bump it out. The rest is history. That's 9 Ball. Woopie.

Now lets see if everyone watches the free WPBA stream next week :rolleyes:

He tried to bank that 7 for the win and he should have ducked, imo.

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet Donny wants a rematch. I’ve watched him play much better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Initially there was a little of this. Donny thought he had the edge and said so. But I have to say, Donny has for the last year been if anything respectful of Siming as a person and Siming's game. He lost three close sets all of which could easily have gone the other way.

I'm quite proud of him for stepping up. These two players and their behavior are good for the sport. No nonsense. No funny business. No putting things in the mud. No whining about details of the conditions. And graciousness in defeat and victory. Congratulations to Donny Mills and to Siming Chen. And thank you for letting us be part of it.

He was classy the whole time of play, too.

He even told her it would be a foul if she didn't jump with her playing cue, before she did it...not just letting her shoot and calling a foul.

And he was no baby at the end either. He shot back.

Too bad there can only be 1 winner. It was a great show.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Spot on and it really showcases the strength of the Fargo rating system.

When a higher ranked player like Chen plays a lower ranked player like Donny, it doesn't mean that Donny can't win. It just means that Chen is going to win more often.

If they played 100 sets of races to 21, and someone bet the same amount on Donny each set (without getting odds). They would be down at the end of those 100 sets.

These are human beings we’re dealing with here ....

...I think FaroRate instilled some doubt in the doubters...I love FargoRate....

...but we have a situation where Donnie Mills has the capability to be a top pro...
...but he owns a car lot...
...if he took the time away from his business to play 100 sets....
...his FargoRate would become a lot higher

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me correct that for you Jb cases. Chen is world class player and Donny is a mid level professional player who owns his on business. With 40 points separating there Fargo rating.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet Donny wants a rematch. I’ve watched him play much better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you ask for rematch when you have lost 3 sets consecutively? :grin-square:
Donny would have to stay away and let time pass.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Lol... I don't think you really have much of an idea how I play, man... Wanna find an established 580 range player, back against me, and find out? Come on down to Derby next year. I promise you got action that way.

Remeber, I've been a soldier/contractor for the better part of 20 years. I only practice when someone starts talking shit. And I play a tournament other than Derby once every 2-3 years or so.

Oh, I know how you play. What does a 580 player have to do with anything? You’re talking all kinds of shit against a guy who also has worked full time for 20 years and owned his own business... and he would run through you like a warm knife through butter.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It's sad that Russ can't just have normal conversations.
Pull up most of his threads and he is immediately sideways with someone in each one of them.

He knows more, he plays better, he works harder, the list goes on.

Oh, I know how you play. What does a 580 player have to do with anything? You’re talking all kinds of shit against a guy who also has worked full time for 20 years and owned his own business... and he would run through you like a warm knife through butter.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
He knows more, he plays better, he works harder, the list goes on.

It's nice to finally get some acknowledgement!

That being said, I have no interest in "playing nice" with the hidden (and not so hidden) chauvinists in the forum.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alt break 10b race to 100. Chen +20

Bergman vs Chen (Team JB Cases)

I think Berg would jump all over giving 10 games, but not 20.