Bill Stroud pool stories................

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Just my opinion and its not worth all that much. I remember the contest and it seemed like a great gesture and something fun for the forum. I got to see Bill a few times during the last years of his life here in Phoenix. He was a "different" guy who marched to his own beat.

Bill said he was going to be moving out to Arizona and was going to really get back into the game. He walked up to Scott Frost and I and said he was going to be coming to AZ and he was going to beat Scott even. Bill was dead serious and not kidding around. This was at Derby or something like that I, Scott and I just looked at one another in disbelief. Bill did end up coming out and did play, never the big gambling match with Scott that he barked about.

I know he tried to get back into the mix of playing getting in some one pocket tournaments at Kolby's and some friendly action. I think his failing health and the newer tougher equipment did not allow him to play some serious gambling action like he wanted to as he did in his best years. I did find Bill to be friendly and had some good conversations. I always enjoy talking with the old timers and hearing their stories whether tall tales or not, it's like time traveling.

I remember about 10 years ago Eric Crisp of SugarTree cues said he was going to make me a cue as a sponsor for my doing a live stream in Vegas of Borana and OMGWTF when they played for some coin. I was really excited about it but never got the cue. I don't hold it against him and would not judge him harshly on that because I know many people speak highly of him as a cuemaker and person so he is well regarded. I met him at the event and he seemed like a nice guy, shit happens.

I would not let the cue contest thing from 10 years back define Bill's legacy and outside of the forum in the pool world he does have a good reputation. Not sure if he is in the cue maker hall of fame yet but he should be. I think forgiveness goes a long way. I have my own regrets with Grady and how I gave him the business on here about playing a big money match he barked about when he was in Phoenix. He was at his end and I was being a bit of a prick as I was too short sighted to see what really counted and that is integrity.

RIP Bill. RIP Grady. Eric I am not mad at you. :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seal it over like a Meucci. Can always strip it off. Just an idea.
I know that's an option but I'd rather have a cue Bill built as a wrapless. There is a 66 Nova on ebay now which somebody raised up and put big wheels on it and chopped the roof. When I saw it I thought why would anybody do that to a 66 Nova. That's kind of how I feel about putting a Meucci style plastic cover over a JW.

To date I've only been able to locate one JW wrapless and the owner doesn't want to part with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that's an option but I'd rather have a cue Bill built as a wrapless. There is a 66 Nova on ebay now which somebody raised up and put big wheels on it and chopped the roof. When I saw it I thought why would anybody do that to a 66 Nova. That's kind of how I feel about putting a Meucci style plastic cover over a JW.

To date I've only been able to locate one JW wrapless and the owner doesn't want to part with it.
Never seen one.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You’re a douchebag...don,t let ANYONE tell you different asshole...the man had cancer,fuck you!! I will gladly give you my number if you wanna get together and talk about this or anything else,you freakin keyboard rambo...i also have cancer and bill stroud contacted me out of the blue,said he understood what i was going through and let me know he was praying for me...no ulterior motivation,nothing...just sympathy for someone fighting this brutal disease and what you have to endure to do so....what a freaking jerk you are and i mean it when i say I would ENJOY getting together to WORK this out ....now don,t just keep “talking “ on here,please,please get in touch with me and I WILL gladly.come to you,to talk about how bad a guy bill stroud was....you piece of crap
Go ahead, give me your number.

No response huh? Well I guess we see who the real keyboard warrior is. Getting cancer doesn't excuse wretched behavior. It especially doesn't excuse lying about it for years and keeping the guy hanging on expecting something that was promised

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Bill Stroud was in the pool world for over 50 years, and was known as a man of character who had happy campers for decades who bought superb cues from him, cues that generally delighted the purchasers.

He had dozens of stellar innovations that improved the way in which cues were made, and always gave generously of his time and knowledge to fellow cuemakers.

He introduced the idea of DYD to AZ to cause a body of players to bring their own creativity to the design of cues. Many of the designs found their way into cues made by others, even into some custom case designs, as I remember.

I get that he fell short in delivering on the DYD cue, and understand the anger. I was one who spent time on a design, and later had the cue made by someone else.

Bill had planned for 30 years to return to playing when his years as a cuemaker were completed. At one time he was an excellent, A-level player, a very smart one too. He waited too long.
He developed massive headaches from the brain cancer, terrible, complicated eye surgeries for several years. He got into some real head and eye issues during the DYD time frame. He sold his equipment when he was told he would not have a long time ahead, so Barbara would not be stuck with a workshop to address.Then, with advances in cancer treatment, immuno-treatments were able to extend his life a bit.

He played in several tournaments, including Oklahoma tournament (finished top 4), and a couple DCC events. After each match, he was so tired he immediately went to lie down, couldn’t even roll over. He was just trying to complete His dream in the short time he had left.

Those who knew him well knew how proud and stubborn he was. Would never even mention the troubles he was in, let alone how it was affecting him. I tried several times on calls with him to have him let me explain to the world what he was going through. His pride got in the way, would not let me even hint that he was in harm’s way.

No, he didn’t deliver on DYD. I get it. Terrible, certainly! But I also see clearly the overarching situation, and although he couldn’t finish the cue, he entered into that whole thing with good intentions. Not wanting to screw anyone. At all.

He is gone. I remember him for all the bright lights he brought to our pool world, several thousand happy campers, cuemaker assistance, innovations, and all the rest, and will not stand by while someone who got his nose bent tries to diminish totally the life work of a great contributor. And friend.
Bill, may you rest in gentle peace forever.

Carry on!

Will Prout
I respect that you give him credit for a life of dedication to the pool world; however, there's simply no excuse for lying to someone and ignoring them for years while all the while they're expecting you to follow through on what you said you'd do. I thought his cues were amazing and I'm sad that one of, if not the final act in the pool world for him was this disgraceful lack of character.

When I first responded I didn't know he had passed and my intention was to not let him forget. That's always been my intention.

When I was informed in this thread that he had passed I let my pride and my belief that death doesn't make your mistakes go away get in the way and I doubled down. In retrospect, I realize that there's no need to keep it going now that he's gone since my intention was to keep reminding HIM of it and I apologize for keeping it going.

I'm a man who can acknowledge my mistakes and that was a mistake, once I found out he was gone I should've let it go.

Now that being said, I will defend my position on it being wrong for him to have not come clean years ago and not string the winner along to my own grave and I have no problem stating my case to anyone's face.

Jaden

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respect that you give him credit for a life of dedication to the pool world; however, there's simply no excuse for lying to someone and ignoring them for years while all the while they're expecting you to follow through on what you said you'd do. I thought his cues were amazing and I'm sad that one of, if not the final act in the pool world for him was this disgraceful lack of character.

When I first responded I didn't know he had passed and my intention was to not let him forget. That's always been my intention.

When I was informed in this thread that he had passed I let my pride and my belief that death doesn't make your mistakes go away get in the way and I doubled down. In retrospect, I realize that there's no need to keep it going now that he's gone since my intention was to keep reminding HIM of it and I apologize for keeping it going.

I'm a man who can acknowledge my mistakes and that was a mistake, once I found out he was gone I should've let it go.

Now that being said, I will defend my position on it being wrong for him to have not come clean years ago and not string the winner along to my own grave and I have no problem stating my case to anyone's face.

Jaden
Very good sir. All of us have made mistakes. Very few own them though and try to do better. Take care of yourself.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my opinion and its not worth all that much. I remember the contest and it seemed like a great gesture and something fun for the forum. I got to see Bill a few times during the last years of his life here in Phoenix. He was a "different" guy who marched to his own beat.

Bill said he was going to be moving out to Arizona and was going to really get back into the game. He walked up to Scott Frost and I and said he was going to be coming to AZ and he was going to beat Scott even. Bill was dead serious and not kidding around. This was at Derby or something like that I, Scott and I just looked at one another in disbelief. Bill did end up coming out and did play, never the big gambling match with Scott that he barked about.

I know he tried to get back into the mix of playing getting in some one pocket tournaments at Kolby's and some friendly action. I think his failing health and the newer tougher equipment did not allow him to play some serious gambling action like he wanted to as he did in his best years. I did find Bill to be friendly and had some good conversations. I always enjoy talking with the old timers and hearing their stories whether tall tales or not, it's like time traveling.

I remember about 10 years ago Eric Crisp of SugarTree cues said he was going to make me a cue as a sponsor for my doing a live stream in Vegas of Borana and OMGWTF when they played for some coin. I was really excited about it but never got the cue. I don't hold it against him and would not judge him harshly on that because I know many people speak highly of him as a cuemaker and person so he is well regarded. I met him at the event and he seemed like a nice guy, shit happens.

I would not let the cue contest thing from 10 years back define Bill's legacy and outside of the forum in the pool world he does have a good reputation. Not sure if he is in the cue maker hall of fame yet but he should be. I think forgiveness goes a long way. I have my own regrets with Grady and how I gave him the business on here about playing a big money match he barked about when he was in Phoenix. He was at his end and I was being a bit of a prick as I was too short sighted to see what really counted and that is integrity.

RIP Bill. RIP Grady. Eric I am not mad at you. :)

Nice post Lenny. Sometimes, many times, people say things and don't follow through. It happens to the best of us. I know I've done it a few times. You have to look at someone on balance. If someone does this all day every day, then they get the deserved reputation as a bull-shitter. We all know people like that. Other people will have just a rare occasion like that. And then most people are somewhere in-between.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That whole DYD contest was weird to me. I only checked into the main thread of it once in a while, as I don't really have an artistic touch to design anything fancy. The main takeaways I recall from it, is Bill kept asking for "out of the box" designs, when people were submitting sketches, and he would tell them "this is not out of the box". (I'm paraphrasing of course from 10-15 year old memory). When the winning cue was selected, I was actually shocked. It looked almost like any other cue. Nothing that special about it to me. And in the aftermath, it was discovered the member who submitted that cue, had already had it built by someone else when he submitted it. The whole thing was weird. I also recall, the winning member had come on here and said he was square with Bill a while later. I don't recall if he gave the details, or maybe he decided to forget about it, but he said he was ok with everything.

fishpool

USSA Board
I lived in N. CA in the late '70s and appreciated the nice design and product reputation of Joss West Cues with the basic 4-point that some top players I'd see at Terry Stonier's events were using I had Bill make one for me in '78, and I loved the cue. It was stolen a few years later, and I paid Bill $600 in 1986 to make the same 4-point cue w/ 3 shafts. In the early '90s, while working at the BCA, my '86 JW was looking a little worn, so I called Bill again to see how much he'd charge me for a replacement cue. He quoted me "$2,500" ! This didn't entirely surprise me, as I understand market conditions a bit, but I responded "Bill, I'm not a cue collector trying to build a fancy cue collection; I just want a good-playing cue." He came back with - "OK, John, for you, I'll make it for $1,000." I was pleased with that response, but decided to keep playing with my '86 cue. I'm not one to spend a ton for a cue if I don't have to. These days, I'm an old fart, and I only get to play one month each year due to my ACS tasks taking up so much of my time. But I still use that '86 JW with an elk master tip...and I still - with that old cue that has held up so well -play pretty sharp.

Bill set up a booth at the '94 WCs in Arlington Heights IL, and I got to spend a little time chatting him up during the week. He seemed to want to spend more time on the practice table knocking balls around next to his booth than actually working his booth, but I guess everyone knew of Bill and his cues, so he'd attract attention if anyone desired to approach him re: cue orders. He seemed a bit of a "different" character, but likable enough. I lived in Co. Sprgs. CO when the BCA moved there in 2000, after Bill had moved away, but I did hear the stories that he'd win 90% of his league matches when he lived there, and the league had some pretty stout players in it. And I'd always heard of the hustling stories when Bill and Danny Janes traveled the road together, and Bill would wear mismatched shirts and pants to attract the suckers. I was very sad to hear of Bill's passing. He deserved the high cue-making reputation he earned! - John Lewis

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I lived in N. CA in the late '70s and appreciated the nice design and product reputation of Joss West Cues with the basic 4-point that some top players I'd see at Terry Stonier's events were using I had Bill make one for me in '78, and I loved the cue. It was stolen a few years later, and I paid Bill $600 in 1986 to make the same 4-point cue w/ 3 shafts. In the early '90s, while working at the BCA, my '86 JW was looking a little worn, so I called Bill again to see how much he'd charge me for a replacement cue. He quoted me "$2,500" ! This didn't entirely surprise me, as I understand market conditions a bit, but I responded "Bill, I'm not a cue collector trying to build a fancy cue collection; I just want a good-playing cue." He came back with - "OK, John, for you, I'll make it for $1,000." I was pleased with that response, but decided to keep playing with my '86 cue. I'm not one to spend a ton for a cue if I don't have to. These days, I'm an old fart, and I only get to play one month each year due to my ACS tasks taking up so much of my time. But I still use that '86 JW with an elk master tip...and I still - with that old cue that has held up so well -play pretty sharp.

Bill set up a booth at the '94 WCs in Arlington Heights IL, and I got to spend a little time chatting him up during the week. He seemed to want to spend more time on the practice table knocking balls around next to his booth than actually working his booth, but I guess everyone knew of Bill and his cues, so he'd attract attention if anyone desired to approach him re: cue orders. He seemed a bit of a "different" character, but likable enough. I lived in Co. Sprgs. CO when the BCA moved there in 2000, after Bill had moved away, but I did hear the stories that he'd win 90% of his league matches when he lived there, and the league had some pretty stout players in it. And I'd always heard of the hustling stories when Bill and Danny Janes traveled the road together, and Bill would wear mismatched shirts and pants to attract the suckers. I was very sad to hear of Bill's passing. He deserved the high cue-making reputation he earned! - John Lewis

The world looks a lot different when you stare death in the face. Dropping to what that cue should cost just for time and materials with zero name value was a very class act even if it never came to be. None of us are perfect and I have a hard time seeing Bill as deeply flawed for failing in this one thing. I have failed in a few things over the years. Not my fault or the other person's, just a "stuff happens" thing. What was possible became impossible.

Hu

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go ahead, give me your number.

No response huh? Well I guess we see who the real keyboard warrior is. Getting cancer doesn't excuse wretched behavior. It especially doesn't excuse lying about it for years and keeping the guy hanging on expecting something that was promised
Have you ever been close to someone with cancer? My wife had breast cancer in 2019 and her hair still hasn't fully grown back. She was in extreme pain from the chemo. She broke her arm in 2020 and said the pain from that was nothing compared to chemo.

Either you don't know what you're talking about or you have no compassion. I think the word for someone who has no concern for the suffering of others is sociopath.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Bill was getting back into the game and posting on one pocket.org how good he was playing, I ran into him at Derby City and asked him to play. He told me he did not want to play other old players, he wanted to play good young players and told me he had a match set up with Jeremy Jones at Bank Shots in Louisville. I told him to hold off on our game until I found out how he did in that spot. I found out later they played cheap.

I don’t know if I could have beat him, but wanted to find out and I would have bet something. He was a good guy with a huge ego ( Most of us do), and I don’t think he wanted to take a chance that someone a few years older might beat him.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billy gave me 4 hit and the pick
or the break and pick 4 and i struggled to break even ,so i thinl you were probably lucky he din't play

billy didn't leave a lot of survivors

you could find out the answer to your lingering doubt by playing ne,
but i sold my table and have not hit a ballin months

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billy gave me 4 hit and the pick
or the break and pick 4 and i struggled to break even ,so i thinl you were probably lucky he din't play

billy didn't leave a lot of survivors

you could find out the answer to your lingering doubt by playing ne,
but i sold my table and have not hit a ballin months
If you sold your table and haven’t played in months I definitely want to play you!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a link to the original contest? I’m not trying to rub any salt in the wound of the one guy who seems so pissed about this, I’d just like to see what kind of designs people came up with. There’s a few folks here who would do a hell of a job I’d think. And I’m curious to what design won.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

bb9ball

Registered
If you sold your table and haven’t played in months I definitely want to play you!

I thought you were old enough to know that "not playing" is part of every pool player's greeting, even before last year.

And, as Roger Allen told me once after not playing for a few months, as he's running a small package on someone, "Just because I haven't been playing, doesn't mean I forgot how".