7 foot diamond ruining my game

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my take, FWIW. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the table. A Gold Crown with 4.5" pockets will play easier than a Diamond with 4.5" pockets or any size. The main reason is the shelf depth; waaaay deeper on Diamonds. Another reason (in your case) could be the rubber. A brand new table will have more lively cushions than an older table. This will cause the pockets to play more difficult because the cushions surrounding the pockets will be more reactive. In both instances, balls that brush the rail with any pace would most likely fall on the Gold Crown but will rattle on the Diamond. Also, you may not be used to the speed of the table due to the new rubber. Seven foot Diamonds can be quite zippy and the table is most likely faster than your Gold Crown. I doubt very seriously your skill level has diminished but I would say your confidence has, simply because you aren't pocketing balls with the same frequency you used to and you are not controlling the cue ball like you normally do. IMO, stick with the Diamond and work on your game so you are hitting center pocket more often and are hitting the ball with pocket speed. Ball pocketing will go up and your cue ball will start to get in line because you are hitting the ball as hard. It's all about adjusting. In the end, you will be a better player for it. All this being said, I much prefer a well sorted Gold Crown.
Your assessment is pretty accurate. One of my biggest problems is shooting on the diamond, I have to shoot so much softer. Then when I play on any other type of table, my speed is way off. As for hitting center pocket, I’m ok in that aspect. Rattling balls isn’t so much the issue. The diamonds are fine if it’s all you ever play on, but for my situation it’s just too different from all other pool tables and the practice time is not as effective as it is with a real table, like a GC.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your assessment is pretty accurate. One of my biggest problems is shooting on the diamond, I have to shoot so much softer. Then when I play on any other type of table, my speed is way off. As for hitting center pocket, I’m ok in that aspect. Rattling balls isn’t so much the issue. The diamonds are fine if it’s all you ever play on, but for my situation it’s just too different from all other pool tables and the practice time is not as effective as it is with a real table, like a GC.
There's going to be an adjustment period and I think in the end it will be good for your game. A good player needs to adjust to the conditions. It's just going to take some time to get dialed in. Playing on the Diamond takes more finess. Once you get it down, you're going to be surprised how much it helps your game to shoot some shots softer than you've traditionally shot them. Some shots require power, most don't.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's going to be an adjustment period and I think in the end it will be good for your game. A good player needs to adjust to the conditions. It's just going to take some time to get dialed in. Playing on the Diamond takes more finess. Once you get it down, you're going to be surprised how much it helps your game to shoot some shots softer than you've traditionally shot them. Some shots require power, most don't.
I’ve had the diamond for almost 2 years.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A GOOD player knows how to adjust to ANY table they play on!

Or do all the places you play have all the SAME pool tables?
🥱 this is about your 5th post calling me out for not being a good player.

I think everyone gets your point. When you get your panties out of a twist and have anything constructive to say, I’ll respond.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I think everyone gets your point. When you get your panties out of a twist and have anything constructive to say, I’ll respond.
1) you're not as good as you thought you were.

2) good news, with more constructive practice, you CAN get better! The hold back in your game is not the table, its the player!

3) I've never heard another person say a Diamond 7ft was hurting their skills as a player!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't worry, Cobra does the same to EVERY player who complains about Diamonds. He even stated when Archer said he didn't like them years ago "What has Archer won lately". You are in good company:)

Now he will say I stink too;)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had the diamond for almost 2 years.
Timeframe is irrelevant if you do not know why your confidence is shaken and how you need to adjust to get the desired results then adjusting your game accordingly. To RKC's point (not calling you a bad player), higher level players recognize what's happening and know what is involved to adjust and they can do so rather quickly. Most amateurs do not have this skillset so you are not alone although it appears you haven't really committed to changing the way you play to accommodate what the table(s) is/are giving you. Your issue is 100% mental and you need to learn how to recognize differences and have the willingness to adapt. Hitting the balls the same way on the Diamond as you did on the Gold Crown (or vice versa) and expecting the same results is by definition: insanity. There is no reason you cannot play at the same level on a 7' Diamond as you do on a 9' Gold Crown but you have to be self aware, accept the tables play differently and adjust your game accordingly. I'm telling you...this is going to be great for your game if you can get past your own head trash and adjust to what the table is giving you. Remember: no two tables play alike. Regardless of size, make and model.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't worry, Cobra does the same to EVERY player who complains about Diamonds. He even stated when Archer said he didn't like them years ago "What has Archer won lately". You are in good company:)

Now he will say I stink too;)
We all stink unless you are in the top 100 rated players in the world...lol.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timeframe is irrelevant if you do not know why your confidence is shaken and how you need to adjust to get the desired results then adjusting your game accordingly. To RKC's point (not calling you a bad player), higher level players recognize what's happening and know what is involved to adjust and they can do so rather quickly. Most amateurs do not have this skillset so you are not alone although it appears you haven't really committed to changing the way you play to accommodate what the table(s) is/are giving you. Your issue is 100% mental and you need to learn how to recognize differences and have the willingness to adapt. Hitting the balls the same way on the Diamond as you did on the Gold Crown (or vice versa) and expecting the same results is by definition: insanity. There is no reason you cannot play at the same level on a 7' Diamond as you do on a 9' Gold Crown but you have to be self aware, accept the tables play differently and adjust your game accordingly. I'm telling you...this is going to be great for your game if you can get past your own head trash and adjust to what the table is giving you. Remember: no two tables play alike. Regardless of size, make and model.
I don’t think you understand. I play fine on the diamond. When I move to anything else my game suffers. Like you said, guess I’m not good enough to adjust quickly.

when I had my GC, I never had a problem because I didn’t need to adjust anything when I went somewhere.

I really don’t know what possible fix there could be for trying to adjust to a table that plays differently than other tables.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) you're not as good as you thought you were.

2) good news, with more constructive practice, you CAN get better! The hold back in your game is not the table, its the player!

3) I've never heard another person say a Diamond 7ft was hurting their skills as a player!
1. I know and am very comfortable with what my level of skill as a pool player is.

2. Good news, your panties are in a bunch but all you have to do is go somewhere private and adjust them!

3. who gives two shits what you’ve ever heard from any other players? 🤣 😂

realkingcobra

Silver Member
1. I know and am very comfortable with what my level of skill as a pool player is.

2. Good news, your panties are in a bunch but all you have to do is go somewhere private and adjust them!

3. who gives two shits what you’ve ever heard from any other players? 🤣 😂
Maybe you should just take up Darts😅🤣🤩

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Advice won't help, he's got every excuse in the world as to why he's NOT the problem to his game, it's the Diamond 7ft making him play bed on all the other tables he plays on😅🤣😂

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think you understand. I play fine on the diamond. When I move to anything else my game suffers. Like you said, guess I’m not good enough to adjust quickly.

when I had my GC, I never had a problem because I didn’t need to adjust anything when I went somewhere.

I really don’t know what possible fix there could be for trying to adjust to a table that plays differently than other tables.
You've never had to adjust so it is foreign to you. It's not the end of the world. You just need to know what the struggles are so you now how to adjust. Once you are able to recognize the what and the why, you can implement the necessary adjustment.

1. How do the other tables play differently than the Diamond?

2. What part of the game are you struggling with on the other tables vs the Diamond?

It's your state of mind when you are faced with the adversity that is getting in the way of executing like you know how. The thought process cannot be, "I'm fucked. This table doesn't play anywhere near my table at home. No way I can play on this." It has to be, "This table plays differently in these ways....I need to adjust X Y Z to play my best game."

I was faced with a very similar circumstance recently. I have a Gold Crown I that I restored, had new rubber installed (Diamond Black), had the subrails extended and the corners cut to 4.125" (141*) and the sides to 4.875" (103*). The table plays a touch on the fast side and the pockets are tough but fair. I've played exclusively on Gold Crowns for the better part of a few years but recently joined my buddy's BCA League. They play at a local pool hall on first generation (Pro Billiard Tour) Red Label Diamonds. They are much slower than my table, pockets are 4.5" and 5" but they have a much deeper shelf than I'm accustomed to. When I started the league I was rated a 623 Fargo. My first week was bad and I really didn't start to adjust to the tables util the 3rd week. My Fargo dropped to 598 but is now back up to 613 and I hope to get it back to where it was or higher by the end of the session. I did not play on those Diamonds except for league night and continued to practice on my table. The table was irrelevant as I knew what I needed to work on during practice to play like I can on the Diamonds and focused on that. Because the Diamonds are slower, if takes a little more stroke (not much) and a little more english to move the ball around the table. The tables are no longer an issue. They never really were an issue. It just took me a little longer than it should have to adjust.