Could a B player run 100 balls on the world record table?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
With all respect to lil chris I've watched him enough to know he plays at about my level and is not an A player. He is a B+.
His Fargo is around 640. 600+ is A. Watching someone on a stream playing at home and in league matches is not an accurate judgement of them in higher level competition.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all respect to lil chris I've watched him enough to know he plays at about my level and is not an A player. He is a B+.

A 640 Fargo would be considered an A player. If his rating is verified he should have no problem running 50 balls with practice. I know of several Fargo 600 (B players) players to run fifty on regulation tables.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His Fargo is around 640. 600+ is A. Watching someone on a stream playing at home and in league matches is not an accurate judgement of them in higher level competition.
I think A starts around 650, from my experience of Philadelphia area players and looking up their Fargo.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Thank you! With as much humility as possible, I was disappointed it took me so long. Obviously I wasn’t going at it night and day, but I expected to hit 100 within 6 months, at the latest, 12 months.
It took me a couple of months once I put my nose down buuuuut I was dialed in to a much tougher table then I use at home. The results weren't from proficiency in 14.1, but a steady rate of shooting myself out of trouble....lol

No way I would have exceeded 100 on a pro-cut table.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
It took me a couple of months once I put my nose down buuuuut I was dialed in to a much tougher table then I use at home. The results weren't from proficiency in 14.1, but a steady rate of shooting myself out of trouble....lol

No way I would have exceeded 100 on a pro-cut table.

I only play on my home table, which has pockets between 11 and 11.3 cm (4.3”-4.4”) (I got called out on saying 4.25, so I’m now being very accurate 😂). Interestingly, I actually stopped playing 14.1 for about 4-6 months and was playing a bit of rotation. When I started racking up 14.1 again, the hundred came within a week. I think you can bury yourself in the rabbit hole if you’re not careful, and a bit of perspective can be helpful.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think you can bury yourself in the rabbit hole if you’re not careful, and a bit of perspective can be helpful.
Very much so... Speaking for myself I found once a broke through that personal milestone my average dropped badly.

I knew I was shooting myself out of trouble so I was trying to 'play the game' better. Attempting to play smarter actually made me waaaay worse...lol

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Me feel here is that whatever one can run on a typically set up table (not loose but not tight), they can run 50% more on this table.

Hence, if you're a 67-ball runner or better on ordinary equipment, you should be able to get to 100 on his table.

btal

Registered
B players won't run 100 on any table. IMO If they take 6 weeks or 6 months on this table to do it, they're skill would simply be increased ....... to an A player. They just got better in all ways in the effort.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to belittle Shaw's other worldly accomplishment , If they can't do it on that table they will never do it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its not just making the ball its the ability to cheat the pocket when you get out of position, Not to mention when the side pocket is huge how much easier to becomes to run balls. I would say that an average B player's high run would be twice as long on these tables for this reason. My high run of 41 balls (which I did years ago, I dont play straight pool at all and would definitely be able to do much better now on the same equipment) was ended right before a break shot because I got straight on a ball on a table you can't cheat the pocket on (and missed trying to cheat the pocket anyways). If it was a table like the world record table I probably would have gotten on the break ball and broken 50. The balls are also more likely to open up when they are all frozen with the template rack.

The template rack alone must decrease the difficulty of the run by AT LEAST 30 fargo points like it does for 9-ball ghost. Add in the new fast cloth and no humidity and super polished balls and easy cut pockets and it should really decrease the ability needed.

And this goes for John's record as well. Not just Jaysons. There is a reason these numbers being broken now and its not just because the players have gotten better....

My high run is 78 on a 9ft with tight pockets. I could've easily gotten into the 100's on a loose table seeing how the run stopper that day rattled the pocket.

But I'm 100% sure I can't run 600 or 700 on any table, unless the pockets were 6 to 8 inches wide. It takes rediculous focus and determination to run that many balls.

rharm

Registered
Just of curiosity, what is your Fargo if you think Lil' Chris plays at the same level as you/

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it humorous how players will boast about their high run. After you set the height of the bar,
how often do you again come close to clearing it? I think that’s important because if you cannot
repeat your performance or consistently at least approach matching it again, you really are using
a false yardstick. I once….and it was only once, shot 80 on a tough golf course in Monterey, CA.
And I 3 putted the next to last hole (#17) too. I could have broken 80 for the first time but nonetheless,
it was the lowest score I ever achieved. And despite years and years of continued play, I never came
that close again. My lowest handicap index was a 12-13 and often a little higher. But my best score
says I was a better player but it was one time score only and I never came close again to breaking 80.

What’s my point? When people talk about their high run, it might have been an extraordinary feat for
them never to be duplicated. Instead of your 1x high run, we should talk about what your average is
for consecutively pocketed balls. All these B players that think they can run a 100 balls is either a player
that sandbags to get a lower rating or they are delusional. They couldn’t run a 100 balls without missing
even scattering 15 balls on the table, running all 15 and repeating that same routine sans any break shot
seven times consecutively. Just toss balls on the table and run a 100 balls. If anyone comes even close,
imagine the added difficulty of doing that having to rely on 7 break shots…..B players can’t run a 100 balls.

Nuf Ced!

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say I think yes... Lol. This world record stuff is a joke with concocted conditions. Its like lets try to set the record for the lowest round in golf by making the easiest golf course ever....
IF you are referring to Street light... I'd say the better question is, could today's B players run 100 balls on the table conditions back in 1954, which is an undoubted emphatic ABSOLUTELY!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
IF you are referring to Street light... I'd say the better question is, could today's B players run 100 balls on the table conditions back in 1954, which is an undoubted emphatic ABSOLUTELY!
I would disagree with you here. Slow cloth and heavy balls that were hard to break apart. Most of the top players from the 60's (Crane, Caras, Balsis) would only break off one corner (or the top) of the rack and work from there, breaking off sections at a time. They played a controlled break shot. It was rare to see a player just fire his break shot into the pack and try to break them wide open. Mosconi was one of the few that I saw do that in his exhibitions. He would make the cue ball churn through the rack. Later on Mizerak perfected the power break and became the best 14.1 player of his era.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would disagree with you here. Slow cloth and heavy balls that were hard to break apart. Most of the top players from the 60's (Crane, Caras, Balsis) would only break off one corner (or the top) of the rack and work from there, breaking off sections at a time. They played a controlled break shot. It was rare to see a player just fire his break shot into the pack and try to break them wide open. Mosconi was one of the few that I saw do that in his exhibitions. He would make the cue ball churn through the rack. Later on Mizerak perfected the power break and became the best 14.1 player of his era.
Nothing wrong with a healthy and respectful disagreement. Cheers!

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion a B player is not running 100 balls. I think it takes a higher A player or above to run 100.

pw98

Registered
I find it humorous how players will boast about their high run. After you set the height of the bar,
how often do you again come close to clearing it? I think that’s important because if you cannot
repeat your performance or consistently at least approach matching it again, you really are using
a false yardstick. I once….and it was only once, shot 80 on a tough golf course in Monterey, CA.
And I 3 putted the next to last hole (#17) too. I could have broken 80 for the first time but nonetheless,
it was the lowest score I ever achieved. And despite years and years of continued play, I never came
that close again. My lowest handicap index was a 12-13 and often a little higher. But my best score
says I was a better player but it was one time score only and I never came close again to breaking 80.

What’s my point? When people talk about their high run, it might have been an extraordinary feat for
them never to be duplicated. Instead of your 1x high run, we should talk about what your average is
for consecutively pocketed balls. All these B players that think they can run a 100 balls is either a player
that sandbags to get a lower rating or they are delusional. They couldn’t run a 100 balls without missing
even scattering 15 balls on the table, running all 15 and repeating that same routine sans any break shot
seven times consecutively. Just toss balls on the table and run a 100 balls. If anyone comes even close,
imagine the added difficulty of doing that having to rely on 7 break shots…..B players can’t run a 100 balls.

Nuf Ced!
Of course they could run 100 scattering the balls on the table give me a break. I would expect this to be well in the ability of a B+.