2022 World Snooker Championship (Apr 16th - May 2nd)

telinoz

Registered
Glad my phone call to Mark Williams got him going, messing up my scoreline predictions...
Ha ha, only joking.

Wow, what a result.
2 more centuries along the way, breaks his personal best at this event.
Now on 14, just 2 more to equal Hendry.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it me, or are the players asking for the cueball to be cleaned much more often than in the past?
Towards the end of his last session, Ronnie seemed to be asking for a ball to be cleaned a few times per frame. It was so frequent I was wondering what was going on. Usually he rarely asks for the ball to be cleaned, even after a kick.
Edit:
Here is part of the final frame of that session with a respotted black. Black cleaned twice....

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just you, not noticing a big upswing vs the times I have watched this.
As someone said, Taom has reduced that and only Ronnie and Judd still using Triangle chalk.

Having the cueball cleaned is a common way of taking a deep breath on a big shot.
Plenty of that going on in these semi finals.
Cleaning the CB isn’t just about cleaning the CB. It’s a pause to collect yourself before a important shot. It’s a tactic masquerading as a “cleaning” sometimes.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the most tentative I’ve seen Higgy play…he was scared every shot on his run…looked like a football player hearing footsteps.…..
….when he quick-stroked the black, that was his game ball, for Heaven’s sake….he hit it like a golfer who got nervous and hit from the top.
I think Ronnie got to him this match…he’s playing like a tiger.
A rest might allow Higgy to recover…like a boxer being saved by the bell.
Yes he did show Ronnie lots of respect. He wasn’t going for pots he might normally shoot. He was playing safe more often. Ronnie as well. Attacking snooker it was not.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Bieb and Bob, for posting Frame 16. Quite a frame.
One of the key moments in that 16th frame was when O'Sullivan fouled by fluking a red when he potted an "on" blue. I take it this is an example of the foul called "causing a ball not on to be pocketed."

Does anyone here know the logic of applying this rule when the ball "on" is also pocketed? And bear in mind that this is a game in which flukes are usually counted and in which potting two balls on the same stroke is legal in certain other circumstances.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
One of the key moments in that 16th frame was when O'Sullivan fouled by fluking a red when he potted an "on" blue. I take it this is an example of the foul called "causing a ball not on to be pocketed."

Does anyone here know the logic of applying this rule when the ball "on" is also pocketed? And bear in mind that this is a game in which flukes are usually counted and in which potting two balls on the same stroke is legal in certain other circumstances.
If you make a red and fluke another red, you score is two….but you can’t make a red and a color without fouling.…..
……unless there is a free ball involved.

telinoz

Registered
That is the rule , poster was questioning the logic. I dont see any😉
Much the same as coming off of 5 rails to hit a ball in pool, huge skill... But then not making a rail afterwards.
That is a foul, seems harsh, but it is.
The logic in Snooker for this is obvious, potting a colour and avoiding potting a red or any other ball takes skill.
Sometimes a split is so hard to work out, luck is involved.

Nothing wrong with the rules of Snooker, there is a reason they have not changed in decades.
Its not broken.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Towards the end of his last session, Ronnie seemed to be asking for a ball to be cleaned a few times per frame. It was so frequent I was wondering what was going on. Usually he rarely asks for the ball to be cleaned, even after a kick.
Edit:
Here is part of the final frame of that session with a respotted black. Black cleaned twice....
In fact, he was getting sharked by audience members moving in the first couple rows and asked the referee to tell them to freeze when he was down on a ball shooting. Reminds me of an American player we all know and love.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which Ronnie will show up today? These longer matches require more endurance. This favors Judd Trump. The older players like Mark Williams, Ronnie, and John Higgins probably feel worn out more so than the 32-year-old Judd.

2022 Betfred SF Ronnoe serious look v. Higgins.png

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which Ronnie will show up today? These longer matches require more endurance. This favors Judd Trump. The older players like Mark Williams, Ronnie, and John Higgins probably feel worn out more so than the 32-year-old Judd.

View attachment 639737

i don't even know if judd is favorite to win his match anymore. it's only one session too, so williams will be rested. both matches are open the way i see it

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Much the same as coming off of 5 rails to hit a ball in pool, huge skill... But then not making a rail afterwards.
That is a foul, seems harsh, but it is.
The logic in Snooker for this is obvious, potting a colour and avoiding potting a red or any other ball takes skill.
Sometimes a split is so hard to work out, luck is involved.

Nothing wrong with the rules of Snooker, there is a reason they have not changed in decades.
Its not broken.
It seems to me to be the opposite of what you say. It allows luck to play more of a role in things than it should. See the shot at 2:45 below for just one example. That wasn't lack of skill on Ronnie's part, that was just sheer bad luck. I'm ignoring that in this particular case it appears to have been wired and he should have noticed that, but why should he have to worry about that--the skill here is in making the 5 and getting a good break out, who cares if some random ball from the pack randomly goes in as a result. You should be punished for your failure of skill, not for some failure of luck. There is no logic to the rule that I'm seeing and it is just introducing luck and chance into the game where it doesn't need to be and it is not allowing the game to only be about skill as it should be.

This silly rule seems very reminiscent of the American "bar rules" where if you don't call every last single ball and rail contact the the object ball has on the way to the pocket, including with the point of the pocket (because that's a rail), then the shot doesn't count. It may sound on the surface like it is adding skill, but any experienced player knows that it is doing just the opposite and introducing a lot of unnecessary luck and not letting the skill aspect shine as bright as it should.

Last edited:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
It seems to me to be the opposite of what you say. It allows luck to play more of a role in things than it should. See the shot at 2:45 below for just one example. That wasn't lack of skill on Ronnie's part, that was just sheer bad luck. You should be punished for your failure of skill, not for some failure of luck. There is no logic to the rule and it is just introducing luck and chance into the game where it doesn't need to be and is not allowing the game to only be about skill as it should be.

It is very reminiscent of the American "bar rules" where if you don't call every last single ball and rail collision the object ball has on the way in, including with the point of the pocket (because that's a rail), then it doesn't count. It may sound on the surface like it is adding skill, but any experienced player knows that it is doing just the opposite and introducing a lot of unnecessary luck and actually diminishing the skill.
This rule doesn't bother me at all. I think one of the things it does is prevents players from blasting into the pack at full speed because they need to control it more.

I think another thing that it can do is prevent players who have a lead trying to make colors and reds at the same time to prevent scoring opportunities by their opponent. I doubt this has any real part in the rule due to the fact that if a red can be made by going off the color then it is more likely that red is very pottable and the player will be using that red to build their break.