What's up with Rodney Morris?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
lots of
listern dummy, it’s called having an opinion and having a conversation, if you’re too sensitive to be involved then stay out of it, and go get your cake out of the oven.
look whos getting sensitive
go make your own damn hof that no one would give a shit about just like no one gives a shit about your opinion on this matter

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Fatboy, gotta differ with you on this one.
Hatch no.
Williams no.
Hatch maybe, I’ll meet you half way in the middle on that one. He certainly plays good enough, he was on a winning mosconi cup team. I’m biased as he’s my friend. Maybe it’s a bit much-but again I’m biased on this one.

Williams 100% shouldn’t be HOF , that was totally political when he had the promotion biz going. I know Charlie as well and while he’s a great player, was doing lots for poo. His hog induction was a bit of a reach-we agree.

Best
Fatboy 😀😀

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not correct. The Sands Regency was one of the very hardest events of the year on the American pool calendar and Rodney won it twice. I always thought of that event as a major.
It was one of the best tourneys in pool history from when it started until it died in 07.

Always had a monster field and winning it was equal to US Open. It ran twice as often but the fields were comparable. It was basically the west coast version of the us open

Best
Fatboy

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hawaiian Brian brought Rodney to the Ballroom in Toms River N.J. that was owned by his friend Tony Cattuci in about 1986 or so to get Rodney some experience playing good N.J. players.
At that time Rodney played high shortstop speed,but as I watched him play you could see that he had some natural talent.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It was one of the best tourneys in pool history from when it started until it died in 07.

Always had a monster field and winning it was equal to US Open. It ran twice as often but the fields were comparable. It was basically the west coast version of the us open

Best
Fatboy
How easily we forget! The Sands Regency event is gone but there's still a tender place in my heart for it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How easily we forget! The Sands Regency event is gone but there's still a tender place in my heart for it.
A bit of trivia

SVB won the last Sands tourney he double dipped Johnny in the finals. 11-9 11-6 I think. The 2nd set SVB won by more. Johnny just got tired. Johnny also won his first 4 matches that year 11-0 which must be a record.

But the big headline is it was SVB’s only Sands and he won. It’s also where I met him for the first time. I won so much on him playing Cory I had to jelly roll him-I didn’t know him at all. Started a great friendship to this day.

Fun times! Missed you there Stu, but back then the world was a bigger place and lots of east coast guys didn’t make it out-same as I never made it to any east coast stuff back in those days.

Best
Fatboy 😃😃

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He got involved with TSPN and then covid killed that. Last i heard he was a partner with Archer in his his new spot in Georgia. He doesn't play much at all now. He's fairly active on FB.
What is TSPN? I googled it and don't find anything that seems relavent.

L.S. Dennis

A bit of trivia

SVB won the last Sands tourney he double dipped Johnny in the finals. 11-9 11-6 I think. The 2nd set SVB won by more. Johnny just got tired. Johnny also won his first 4 matches that year 11-0 which must be a record.

But the big headline is it was SVB’s only Sands and he won. It’s also where I met him for the first time. I won so much on him playing Cory I had to jelly roll him-I didn’t know him at all. Started a great friendship to this day.

Fun times! Missed you there Stu, but back then the world was a bigger place and lots of east coast guys didn’t make it out-same as I never made it to any east coast stuff back in those days.

Best
Fatboy 😃😃
Yeah those Sands events were lots of fun back in those days. The rooms were very reasonable, with great view of the snow capped mountains in the the winter time, great food all around the place and the best players in the world showed up for those twice a year events. I still have a bunch of those little metal clips that they gave you to clip on to your shirt once you paid the entrance fee, something like a measly $15.00 or so.

Earl was masterful in those years, so was Johnny, Nick and it seemed like just about everyone back but as is still true today, the cream always rose to the top during the last days and into the finals. Great times!!!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The Mosconi cup doesn't mean crap, they were playing snooker players at best back then. Like pro basketball players playing high-school kids