Fargo rating

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If they are that consistent, I don't see why their fargo ratings would stay so low. If they're good enough to "slap the 9b ghost around on a 9' Diamond" then why are they not winning more? Are they that bad at the other parts of the game?
I think part of it is that you can use a break that is ideal for the ghost but not for competition. When I’m struggling with the normal side rail break, I’ll put the cue ball in the centre of the table and just focus on getting an even spread across the table. And if we are talking about the magic rack and using the same tables, players can probably get dialled in but be an underdog in a new room on different tables.

EDIT: But just anecdotally it seems like skills sets vary quite a bit within similar ratings because I’ve heard from some players at the 630-650 level that they torture the ghost, but then others say they really struggle. Certainly there can be some exaggeration, but I do think that a lot of ghost practice may end up making you very good at the ghost and have diminishing returns in match play, unless you make sufficient adjustments.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think part of it is that you can use a break that is ideal for the ghost but not for competition. When I’m struggling with the normal side rail break, I’ll put the cue ball in the centre of the table and just focus on getting an even spread across the table. And if we are talking about the magic rack and using the same tables, players can probably get dialled in but be an underdog in a new room on different tables.

EDIT: But just anecdotally it seems like skills sets vary quite a bit within similar ratings because I’ve heard from some players at the 630-650 level that they torture the ghost, but then others say they really struggle. Certainly there can be some exaggeration, but I do think that a lot of ghost practice may end up making you very good at the ghost and have diminishing returns in match play, unless you make sufficient adjustments.
Very true. Any 650 in the Phoenix area want to try the ghost some? It'll be a fun experiment. I can only speak for myself, but I beat the ghost a LOT (when I'm playing good). When I factor in my sets where I am either playing bad or breaking bad, I come out under 50% winner. Lots of people like to only remember the good sets.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If they are that consistent, I don't see why their fargo ratings would stay so low. If they're good enough to "slap the 9b ghost around on a 9' Diamond" then why are they not winning more? Are they that bad at the other parts of the game?
I had to ask around but we have a few low 600 spd players in the local room, that are regarded as decent shots. All of them do have the potential to high gear beat the 9b ghost, but none I asked would bet on it happening at any given moment.

WobblyStroke

Lots of people like to only remember the good sets.
This def comes into play. But really, if you can whoop the ghost 3of4 sets on any given day you are at least a low-capper golfer who is able to shoot par on a course sometimes. Thats a really high level too, if not all the way to scratch that just has those days more often.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Very true. Any 650 in the Phoenix area want to try the ghost some? It'll be a fun experiment. I can only speak for myself, but I beat the ghost a LOT (when I'm playing good). When I factor in my sets where I am either playing bad or breaking bad, I come out under 50% winner. Lots of people like to only remember the good sets.
Very true...lol

I haven't played the 9ball ghost for some time now. I when I reached ~75% I switched to the pro version. Once that break was sorted I was at the very least even money. I moved on to 10b and 14.1

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This def comes into play. But really, if you can whoop the ghost 3of4 sets on any given day you are at least a low-capper golfer who is able to shoot par on a course sometimes. Thats a really high level too, if not all the way to scratch that just has those days more often.
I definitely don't win 3 of 4 unless I'm playing my absolute best (which is rare).

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
After reflecting a bit more. If I had put as much time/effort into my golf game as I did pool. I would certainly expect to be a scratch player. May not be, but definitely expect to be.

I think I may just dust off the 9ball template and go ghost hunting :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
's possible that you have a terrible break and a poor tactical game
I swear the billy who kept me in action that one summer said the same damn thing to me after I played a horrible set and cost us some money.

It was one pocket, but that is now Fargo related.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very true...lol

I haven't played the 9ball ghost for some time now. I when I reached ~75% I switched to the pro version. Once that break was sorted I was at the very least even money. I moved on to 10b and 14.1
If you start with BIH in 14.1 and shoot until you miss, what's your average run over 10 attempts?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you start with BIH in 14.1 and shoot until you miss, what's your average run over 10 attempts?
Screenshot_20221209_103605_Google.jpg

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Currently...? I'm good for at least a minimum couple of racks, so ~28. I'll dip into 40's once or twice within that 10 attempts.

I refurbished the table over the course of the last year and really only have been swinging at 14.1 for the last month or so. It plays wildly different now so I'm struggling to get north of 50.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a silly thread. Anyone can beat the ghost just playing the ghost with no pressure on. Throw $50 on line, live stream race to 7 and 700's will crumble.

I'm a 711 and would probably be nervous as fuck. In my basement I win 7/10 times no problem.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This is a silly thread. Anyone can beat the ghost just playing the ghost with no pressure on. Throw $50 on line, live stream race to 7 and 700's will crumble.

I'm a 711 and would probably be nervous as fuck. In my basement I win 7/10 times no problem.
The ghost with no pressure...? Is there such a thing..? I thought the point in the ghost was to grind wins as best as you can...? If you're mailing in your effort, then what's the point.

I can't think of a 700 that would flinch at a camera and lunch money on the line.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ghost with no pressure...? Is there such a thing..? I thought the point in the ghost was to grind wins as best as you can...? If you're mailing in your effort, then what's the point.

I can't think of a 700 that would flinch at a camera and lunch money on the line.

Playing the ghost by yourself with nothing on the line, there is no pressure. Just keep on going until you win. After all, isn't that what all the people do in AZbilliards ghost challenge thread? Look like champions lol

Playing the ghost, betting with someone, people watching live. Would be similar to tournament environment. That will definitely change the outcome.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing the ghost by yourself with nothing on the line, there is no pressure. Just keep on going until you win. After all, isn't that what all the people do in AZbilliards ghost challenge thread? Look like champions lol

Playing the ghost, betting with someone, people watching live. Would be similar to tournament environment. That will definitely change the outcome.

Anyone that can beat the 9 ball ghost would have plenty of experience playing in front of people or betting. I doubt the results will be much different. My top gear is like 600 fargo and I don't feel any more pressure when competing in a tournament or playing with friends. In fact I play better against people I don't know in some random pool hall in a tournament I entered than playing the same guys I do at home.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone that can beat the 9 ball ghost would have plenty of experience playing in front of people or betting. I doubt the results will be much different. My top gear is like 600 fargo and I don't feel any more pressure when competing in a tournament or playing with friends. In fact I play better against people I don't know in some random pool hall in a tournament I entered than playing the same guys I do at home.

So lets go. I'll watch someone play ghost live on FB, 9ft for some $20-$50's. Not sure i'd like my action if they were playing on their home table though. But i'd still be willing to bet a few sets. 😎

Easy lunch moneh! 💰

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I couldn't answer that. But I would let anyone in my area who is 650-675 play the ghost for some cash.
I'll back Tucson9ball in that action, on his home table, with a template.
The guy pattern racks like Dennis or Corey and runs out the same darn pattern over and over -without bih lol.
The 10B ghost better be afraid of Chris on that table.

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
So lets go. I'll watch someone play ghost live on FB, 9ft for some $20-$50's. Not sure i'd like my action if they were playing on their home table though. But i'd still be willing to bet a few sets. 😎

Easy lunch moneh! 💰
I like this idea.
Who will be first to prove their ghost-busting prowess?
<---- Scared of ghosts

Last edited: