Joe Rogan / Fedor Gorst

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to download the entire podcast on my iPhone and listen to it while I walk tomorrow morning. Here's a snippet of the first 2 minutes:

ROGAN: You are the first professional pool player to ever be on this podcast.
GORST: Yeah. Thank you.
ROGAN: So congratulations.
GORST: Thank you so much.
ROGAN: How old are you, man?
GORST: I'm 22.
ROGAN: How long you been playing?
GORST: I've actually started with a different game called "Russian Pyramids."
ROGAN: Yeah, I've seen that before.
GORST: Yeah, that's the game we play in Russia. You know, I've played since I was about six. That's when I had my first coach, but I've been around billiard balls since the very beginning.
ROGAN: What are you ranked in the world right now? You're like—in my opinion, you're like top three, top four in the world.
GORST: There's currently, like, too many different rankings.
ROGAN: Oh.
GORST: You can't—you can't really—because I didn't play as many tournaments this year, like official ones. So I don't have any ranking points.
ROGAN: Because of the—because you're from Russia—
GORST: Yeah.
ROGAN: —and you couldn't play in tournaments for a while, right, during the Ukraine crisis?
GORST: Yeah. So since the end of February when the whole thing started, they banned all the Russian athletes, and they only removed the ban in—I believe in the end of July.
ROGAN: You know what's crazy is they didn't ban UFC fighters.
ROGAN: We have a lot of Russian UFC fighters, and they don't even get treated badly. They don't—they don't get booed. I mean, they get booed a little bit by some assholes, but—
GORST: It's—it's different in every sport. Like hockey, you know—
ROGAN: Yeah.
GORST: —Ovechkin is still playing. You know, there's a lot of great players in hockey that still play from Russia.
ROGAN: But—so, in pool, they made a decision to not have Russian players for a little while, and then they relaxed it. Why did they relax it? Did they realize it was—it's not your—it's not your business. Like, it's not like—you're 22. You're not involved in politics.
GORST: Well, you can understand it from—I don't know—from like the business point of view, but—
ROGAN: I guess.
GORST: But, you know, pool in my opinion is a small sport, and in the end of the day, I don't know how many pool players will you ban by banning the Russian athletes. I know, I mean, three players.
ROGAN: Yeah. There's only a few from Russia, right?
GORST: Yeah, that play internationally.
ROGAN: And you're the best?
GORST: Uh, from Russia, yeah.
ROGAN: Yeah, for sure. For sure. Like, you're one of the best in the world, period. It's kind of crazy to be one of the best in the world at something at 22 years old because you have so much room to grow and get better.
GORST: Oh, yeah, for sure.
ROGAN: I mean, that's got to be very promising for you because ...

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1672349167396.png

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to see him at Hollywood Billiards.
I think he was there when you staked Johnny.
Iirc, he played the Wednesday night tournament too
Joe's a hair below solid B player.
That’s correct. Johnny stayed with me that trip. He won the Swanee that year.

Joe was playing there back then pretty often. He was getting lessons from Max, I’m not sure if he was ever at my house in Vegas when Max was living with me-I think Joe did get lessons from Max there, not 100% certain. Joe did get stronger Max told me.

I lost touch with Joe, Max and I txt now and then.

Was a good time in pool for sure. I miss Hollywood Billiards, Jeff Bey ran a good operation. 2008/09 destroyed his core biz.

Fatboy 😃

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My biggest takeaway here is that Fedor Gorst is a classy young man and I'm glad he is and will continue to be one of the standard bearers for pro pool in the coming years. As well as showing that he's well-grounded in both pool and life, he showed poise and maturity in this interview.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I'm going to download the entire podcast on my iPhone and listen to it while I walk tomorrow morning. Here's a snippet of the first 2 minutes:

ROGAN: You are the first professional pool player to ever be on this podcast.
GORST: Yeah. Thank you.
ROGAN: So congratulations.
GORST: Thank you so much.
ROGAN: How old are you, man?
GORST: I'm 22.
ROGAN: How long you been playing?
GORST: I've actually started with a different game called "Russian Pyramids."
ROGAN: Yeah, I've seen that before.
GORST: Yeah, that's the game we play in Russia. You know, I've played since I was about six. That's when I had my first coach, but I've been around billiard balls since the very beginning.
ROGAN: What are you ranked in the world right now? You're like—in my opinion, you're like top three, top four in the world.
GORST: There's currently, like, too many different rankings.
ROGAN: Oh.
GORST: You can't—you can't really—because I didn't play as many tournaments this year, like official ones. So I don't have any ranking points.
ROGAN: Because of the—because you're from Russia—
ROGAN: —and you couldn't play in tournaments for a while, right, during the Ukraine crisis?
GORST: Yeah. So since the end of February when the whole thing started, they banned all the Russian athletes, and they only removed the ban in—I believe in the end of July.
ROGAN: You know what's crazy is they didn't ban UFC fighters.
ROGAN: We have a lot of Russian UFC fighters, and they don't even get treated badly. They don't—they don't get booed. I mean, they get booed a little bit by some assholes, but—
GORST: It's—it's different in every sport. Like hockey, you know—
ROGAN: Yeah.
GORST: —Ovechkin is still playing. You know, there's a lot of great players in hockey that still play from Russia.
ROGAN: But—so, in pool, they made a decision to not have Russian players for a little while, and then they relaxed it. Why did they relax it? Did they realize it was—it's not your—it's not your business. Like, it's not like—you're 22. You're not involved in politics.
GORST: Well, you can understand it from—I don't know—from like the business point of view, but—
ROGAN: I guess.
GORST: But, you know, pool in my opinion is a small sport, and in the end of the day, I don't know how many pool players will you ban by banning the Russian athletes. I know, I mean, three players.
ROGAN: Yeah. There's only a few from Russia, right?
GORST: Yeah, that play internationally.
ROGAN: And you're the best?
GORST: Uh, from Russia, yeah.
ROGAN: Yeah, for sure. For sure. Like, you're one of the best in the world, period. It's kind of crazy to be one of the best in the world at something at 22 years old because you have so much room to grow and get better.
GORST: Oh, yeah, for sure.
ROGAN: I mean, that's got to be very promising for you because ...
JAM,
Keith gets a shout out. Quick discussion about his side arm style. Enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: JAM

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Hell Yeah! I will definitely download Spotify, so I can listen to this.

I have to say I have gained SO MUCH respect for Gorst this year. He might not have his American citizenship, but he embodies what the American Spirit should be:
The guy was shutout of propool for most of the year due to circumstances beyond his control. He didn't act like a victim or look for a handout. In the face of adversity, he took the attitude of, "Dawg-Gone it, I'll do it the hard way then!" He turned a challenge into an opportunity. Even though he couldn't compete on the "big" stage, he played whenever and wherever he could. This 22 year old was so successful scrapping for every victory and every dollar that he found himself #2 on the money list for the year.

That's a Great American Badass right there!

Marbles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this one Mr. Rogan, I'm either listening to one of your podcasts or watching one pocket matches most days so this was a BONUS. Loved it!!

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member

Full interview is 2 hours I think
Thanks to Kling for the full interview.

I tried to load up Spotify, but apparently my i-pod is not technologically advanced enough for it.

I know it’s the 21st century,but I refuse to get a space phone. I have a home phone with an answering machine; I am pleased to return your call at my earliest convenience.

Anyways... way to be Kling, Pool is not dead!

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Thanks to Kling for the full interview.

I tried to load up Spotify, but apparently my i-pod is not technologically advanced enough for it.

I know it’s the 21st century,but I refuse to get a space phone. I have a home phone with an answering machine; I am pleased to return your call at my earliest convenience.

Anyways... way to be Kling, Pool is not dead!

I think you can go to www.spotify.com on your computer, sign up for a free account, and listen to the podcast without using a phone. Not to shill for Spotify, but there are a few decent podcasts for pool (Cue it Up, Pool Player Podcast) that have good content.