What a tool!!!

Tadaimarlon

I know exactly what it feels like to be a child beating adults who have been playing for decades. I was 12 when I started winning against most of the adults in my town and I remember so many situations where adults tried to cheat or shark me just because they couldn't stand losing to a kid. It's probably even worse for Savannah because she's a girl. That said, I've never denied anyone a handshake and my dad, who has accompanied me to every tournament, has never had an outburst like the parents in the video have.

In my opinion, the player several decades older than her who was also winning 5-2 could have let this shot slide and made her aware of it later.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
While I agree the dude is a nit of the highest order I always, always call banks, kicks, and combos. I had a similar situation to this in the semi finals of our state 8 ball tournament. My opponent broke and his first shot was a combo into the corner but he never called anything. The strange thing about his shot was that it wasn't the ball close to the jaws that fell but the object ball that he struck with the cue ball that fell, the rear ball. I didnt say anything at the moment but after that 1 game I asked him to call his combos, banks, or kicks, you know, the more non obvious shots. I'm not saying my opponent got 1 over on me on that questionable shot but its not the ball that I would have expected to fall.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that rules are rules, but holy crap, can you not be a gentleman, use your brain, and acknowledge that blatantly obvious combo she played? And this was how he ended up winning the match, since it went hill hill because of this. Savannah handled it well. She is going to be pure class just like allison fisher.
I don't think she should have relinquished the table- if I were her I would have kept shooting and dared him to do something about it. Just horrendous on this guy's part. Blatantly obvious shot.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Watch at 39.48 this tool calls Roadrunner a foul on an obvious combo that half the pros would never call in a match. Then go to the end and listen to what he says to her.
Love that he missed the ten ball! This guy has labeled himself forever thanks to this video. He will from now on always be the butt of jokes wherever he goes. To do something so idiotic while playing a 14 year old girl is beyond belief. Plus the fact he was well ahead in the match already. Mr. Hoang will now be known throughout the pool world as a bully who picks on kids. And he will deserve whatever recognition comes his way, be it good or bad. Good job sir!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know exactly what it feels like to be a child beating adults who have been playing for decades. I was 12 when I started winning against most of the adults in my town and I remember so many situations where adults tried to cheat or shark me just because they couldn't stand losing to a kid. It's probably even worse for Savannah because she's a girl. That said, I've never denied anyone a handshake and my dad, who has accompanied me to every tournament, has never had an outburst like the parents in the video have.

In my opinion, the player several decades older than her who was also winning 5-2 could have let this shot slide and made her aware of it later.
Boom! If he was any kind of a man he would have graciously told her to remember to call all combinations so some nitwit doesn't call a foul on her! Instead he WAS the nitwit!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In call shot, you must call every bank, every carom and every combo. Personally, I can't stand the use of call shot rules, but when they are in use, the players that don't observe them should not be cut any slack.

Savannah was in the wrong here during the match. The post-match comments were out of line, but Savannah was just as rude in her reply, and her decision not to shake opponent's hand came before, not after, the unpleasantries. I give her a pass as she is so young, but she's got some things to learn about observance of the rules and also in maintaining her dignity at the table.

Those comfortable with keeping pool in the gutter will likely defend her here. I want better than this for our sport, and a player as visible as Savannah needs to adhere to a higher standard of behavior than most.

She'll learn from this so let's not judge her on a single moment of indiscretion. Wishing her the best.
maybe I misheard her, but I think she said "I only shake hands"- we couldn't see what was going on, but perhaps he tried to hug her? Not sure

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The opponent would have still seemed like a nit had he made that call on another grown man. However, we would barely have batted an eye had a referee made the same call on the girl. I wouldn't have made that call but after the game was scored I would have quietly told her that combo's have to be called as well as the usual shots that are not considered obvious no matter how obvious they are.

A bank isn't considered obvious no matter how obvious it is or when it is the only possible shot. This combo is the same. The obvious shot, shoulda been called. Also, this is anything but a green fourteen year old girl. She knew it was supposed to be called too.

I think all of us that gambled let hundreds of fouls pass when only a moron wouldn't know the shot attempted, especially after the shot. Tournaments are different and calling shots is a must. If the opponent has his nose stuck in a phone or snack when I call it then claims I didn't, then it is tough caca. I am going to stick to my guns.

I have seen quite a few chickenshits go with the usual no need to call rules in a tourney match until the other player is close to winning then when they don't call a shot that neither player has been calling, "FOUL!" It is a BS thing to do but the rules are on the side of the person calling foul. The best thing is not to give them anything to work with.

Oh yeah, I will laugh when the shoe is on the other foot! Huang has marked himself.

When I see a person be a dipstick in earlier matches particularly against a friend of mine, I may nail them with a BS infraction just like they have done to others. After all, "rulz is rulz" err sometimes!

Hu

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if there was a ref there would he call it on her. if he wouldnt, would he call it on others and why?

and isnt the opponent the ref when no one is there to be it. and should he call what a real ref would be required to call, or call what he may
choose to call?

does a ref. have the option to call rules on some people in a tournament and not others because of personal choices or biases?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
if there was a ref there would he call it on her. if he wouldnt, would he call it on others and why?

and isnt the opponent the ref when no one is there to be it. and should he call what a real ref would be required to call, or call what he may
choose to call?

does a ref. have the option to call rules on some people in a tournament and not others because of personal choices or biases?

I would have warned them before the match but if I was referee and my best friend violated a rule in the match it would get called. One that blatant would definitely be called. I have been an official in events with dozens of my friends in them. In the competitors' meeting everyone was warned that all rules will be enforced. After that, all competitors were treated the same. Few things worse than officials showing bias. A few may get hot at the time but everyone admits I made the right calls later.

I saw a man DQ the owner, the promoter, the tournament director, and a referee, in one fell swoop. The man was also a competitor and it was the right call!

Hu

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few things, and then I’ll not respond to this thread.

1. Savannah should have called the combo. She’s an aspiring professional, and I don’t ever remember a professional in that situation not call it. She knows the rules. The refs will call it if they didn’t hear the call (Mika vs De Luna)

2. As her opponent, I would never have called it. I would have said something on the down low to remember to call the shot as a ref will call it down the road. That said, Dang Huy flew in from Vietnam. No idea what he’s used to in Vietnam, but I know he’s expecting everyone to play by the rules, and he would expect someone to call him on infractions.

3. Dang Huy Hoang is better known as BloKid on AZBilliards. Nothing but a class guy to deal with when buying extensions from him. He didn’t create the situation, though his actions are something most of us wouldn’t have done.

4. Her parents were out of line.

I’ve had enough of this situation. I hope Savannah takes some responsibility, her people apologize for their out-of-line comments, and Dang apologizes for his error in judgement.

Putting this thread on ignore.

Last edited:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of the video, it seemed pretty clear to me that the man and the woman who made those statements were near the mic and both statements were directed to Hoang for having called that on Savannah, which ended up being the difference in the hill-hill match. I commend Savannah’s composure for the way she handled it.
thanks for clearing
The man and woman heard speaking are her parents
Wow what great role models. I’m not saying what the guy did was ok but rules are rules and better learned when you’re young because the pool world , bars , clubs , pool rooms are full of nits just like him 💯 . It was a missed learning opportunity by her parents to explain to her the rules of the ADULT TOURNAMENT AND A LIFE LESSON…… I’m trying to be nice about this , Rules are Rules !!!!!!

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few things, and then I’ll not respond to this thread.

1. Savanna should have called the combo. She’s an aspiring professional, and I don’t ever remember a professional in that situation not call it. She knows the rules. The refs will call it if they didn’t hear the call (Mika vs De Luna)

2. As her opponent, I would never have called it. I would have said something on the down low to remember to call the shot as a ref will call it down the road. That said, Dang Huy flew in from Vietnam. No idea what he’s used to in Vietnam, but I know he’s expecting everyone to play by the rules, and he would expect someone to call him on infractions.

3. Dan Huy Hoang is better known as BloKid on AZBilliards. Nothing but a class guy to deal with when buying extensions from him. He didn’t create the situation, though his actions are something most of us wouldn’t have done.

4. Her parents were out of line.

I’ve had enough of this situation. I hope Savannah takes some responsibility, her people apologize for their out-of-line comments, and Dang apologizes for his error in judgement.

Putting this thread on ignore.
Well said sir . That’s what I was trying to say

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m with you sir . Happy for y’all getting that time together, he raised you right 💯