What a tool!!!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course she should have called the combo shot, obvious or not. Nonetheless Hoang should have let it go with a reminder of the rules to Savannah.
But sadly it ended ugly because of two bad decisions..

Like Joey Tate she will likely never make that mistake again!

Hoang was an ass and that’s the bottom line..
Some could actually view this incident as a sign of respect that Huang showed towards Savannah and her strong game.

He realized early in this match that this young lady was playing good enough to beat him it, so just like if he was playing anyone else in the field, he was going to do whatever he had to do to win this match, no disrespect towards her.

Possibly in his mind, giving her a pass could be interpreted as being more disrespectful to her game, and that this was a lesson she needed to learn from, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally thought it was nitty....but...
In the Dunn post several well known pros said in that situation they would have lied, said they called it and kept on shooting. I guess thats how they won their BCA titles.. So they choose to lie and cheat and post it publicly while calling him a low life nit out of the side of there mouths...lol Her own mom posted his info so he would be put on blast.. lots of revenge threats to his saftey. What message is that sending to our young players.. let's see, pick the rules you like, and if you don't like them lie and cheat to get out of them and put them on blast for revenge....lol. Great message to our youth.

If you don't think SVB and some other pros wouldn't call the same thing on her your way wrong...
Where this guy is from they are taught to play by the rules. They don't pick and choose. Sportsmanship doesn't enter into it. Just the rules..
Savanah didn't lie or cheat. I think that young lady taught all these clowns a valuable lesson. She didn't lie to win. Huge fan.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I personally thought it was nitty....but...
In the Dunn post several well known pros said in that situation they would have lied, said they called it and kept on shooting. I guess thats how they won their BCA titles.. So they choose to lie and cheat and post it publicly while calling him a low life nit out of the side of there mouths...lol Her own mom posted his info so he would be put on blast.. lots of revenge threats to his saftey. What message is that sending to our young players.. let's see, pick the rules you like, and if you don't like them lie and cheat to get out of them and put them on blast for revenge....lol. Great message to our youth.

If you don't think SVB and some other pros wouldn't call the same thing on her your way wrong...
Where this guy is from they are taught to play by the rules. They don't pick and choose. Sportsmanship doesn't enter into it. Just the rules..
Savanah didn't lie or cheat. I think that young lady taught all these clowns a valuable lesson. She didn't lie to win. Huge fan.
is it really a lie tho since thats the ball they absolutely were shooting?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Her own mom posted his info so he would be put on blast.. lots of revenge threats to his saftey. What message is that sending to our young players.. let's see, pick the rules you like, and if you don't like them lie and cheat to get out of them and put them on blast for revenge....lol. Great message to our youth.

myeh, that's my biggest problem with this too. reading the comments many seem to think hoang was the one saying the shit after the match. and with that many followers there's bound to be a couple unhinged nutters

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
late for the show yet again.
Am I surprised?? NO.
Speech at the end was totally unnecessary and low class.
Had worse happen to me on OBVIOUS shots, ala APA.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In call shot, you must call every bank, every carom and every combo. Personally, I can't stand the use of call shot rules, but when they are in use, the players that don't observe them should not be cut any slack.

Savannah was in the wrong here during the match. The post-match comments were out of line, but Savannah was just as rude in her reply, and her decision not to shake opponent's hand came before, not after, the unpleasantries. I give her a pass as she is so young, but she's got some things to learn about observance of the rules and also in maintaining her dignity at the table.

Those comfortable with keeping pool in the gutter will likely defend her here. I want better than this for our sport, and a player as visible as Savannah needs to adhere to a higher standard of behavior than most.

She'll learn from this so let's not judge her on a single moment of indiscretion. Wishing her the best.

shooter_Hans

Have you guys ever played a tournament where you have to call every shot?

It's pretty damn tiring. As you either call it or gesture towards the pocket you're going for.

Also you have to constantly make sure the opponent or person in charge hears it too.

A neglect of this basic rule should lose you a turn. In this case, a match.

I rather waste less energy than to call or gesture and make sure my opponent hears me versus just shooting. It's like walking a golf course versus riding a cart.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With no ref, I think the ethical thing to do is let the person know the rule but allow their shot to count since you know full well they made the shot they intended.
Are you saying she didnt know the rule?

Say he asks her if she knew calling a combo was a rule. She says yes. Ethically she should give up the table because she knows she violated a rule.

She says no. Does she get a pass because she doesnt know the rule but he does? A ref wouldn't say its ok because she didnt know.

Let's say he lets it slide and she keeps shooting. Then he shoots a combo and she says he didn't call it. Does he say even though it is a rule that he doesnt have to call because she didnt earlier? It is a slippery slope.

The above is hypothetical because I dont want anything written to be associated with either player and how they may react in real time.

The rule is written terribly. Any combo is defined as a non obvious shot which in this case it is the only obvious shot. But simplicity of the rule says you must call any bank, combo, kick etc.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True- rules are rules- but the guy was looking for any way to win outside of pure skill. I would not blame anyone who just kept on shooting in that situation and claimed a called combo- anyone who calls that foul is a worse offender, in my own book, then a person who just kept shooting and claimed a called combo if questioned.
I'm not sure what I personally would do if I were the shooter- just not sure - I know that it could get ugly though.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I don't think it was Hoang that made the comments. While I think making her call the combo was lame wishing that a man's tip falls off is worse. If your tip falls off there is almost nothing a doctor can do for you, the surgery is long and the recovery is painful and often unsuccessful. The comments at the end were totally out of line.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I'm sorry, but if you play in a tournament and call every-single- ball, it does get tedious. Most let the "obvious" pass. I can't imagine calling every single shot and pocket in a straight pool match, esp. if it is obvious.
As to RR's combo...... it is clearly obvious what is going down on that shot.
Do you call every shot on yourself aloud when in practice?
Does it break your routine?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
so what rules do you call on a player that violated them and what rules do you not. its a tournament you break a rule it gets called on you and you accept your mistake.

said from a nit i guess.