New to Forum/ Interesting story about Wimpy Lassiter

Halsey

Registered
Hi my name is Tom. I'm from Elizabeth City NC. I've played pool all my life and Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter was a very dear friend of mine. I spent time with Wimpy in the 70s and 80s. I moved from Elizabeth City NC to Cincinnati OH in 1987. I recieved a phone call from a family member sometime in 1988 and was told that Wimpy had passed. I loved him very much and miss him a lot.

I had been doing some reading on the forums and would like to make a correction regarding his personal pool table. Someone said Wimpy had a 4.5 foot x 9 foot Goldcrown table, but he actually had a 5 foot x 10 foot Gandy (of which I've played thousands of games on). It was in a building behind his and his brother's house on Pearl St in Elizabeth City.

I also read that someone wanted to hear an interesting story about Wimpy. Here's one that comes to mind. Wimpy played with a high end Meucci cue that Meucci gave him. He took a long drill bit and drilled down through the shaft, poured birdshot in it from a shotgun shell. I forget what he plugged it with. When he was stroking the stick you could hear the bird shot shifting in the shaft. He told all of us "it was just to hock people." Even though he was almost 40 years my senior he was more like a pal than an older gentleman to me. Again, I miss and love him very much. What an honor it was was to know Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter (who we called Louie Louie).

By the way, I really enjoyed seeing the pictures that someone posted of Colonial Billiards (which was City Billiards back in the day). Seeing the bench we all sat on and the table that Wimpy and I played on brought back a lot of memories. In my humble opinion and many others Wimpy Lassiter is the GREATEST 9 ball player that has ever stroked a cue.

I would love to hear from some of the old pool hall gang from back in the day.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to AZBilliards, and great first post!! I can't contribute any stories about Wimpy but would love to hear more. Do tell!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Helluva first post! Love to hear more...

I have been in the poolroom referenced too. I ASSume it is gone now?

Banks

Banned
Welcome to AZB and thanks for the story, Tom. Maybe, hopefully, I'll be able to convince someone around here to share some stories as well. To hear them all, from so many different people, is like watching a painting come together one brush stroke at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if you find somebody here that you've played at one time or another. Enjoy your stay! :welcome:

Halsey

Registered
Black-Balled: When I was in Elizabeth City in 2004 for my mom's funeral the pool room was still there, but my understanding was that it was more of a kids hang out now.

It's really a shame that you can't just turn the clock back to when it was a REAL pool room. Your on the front table, your in a 3-4 handed 9 ball game and in walks the best player that has ever lived...what a thrill! Wimpy Lassiter, truly one of the nicest gentlemen that I have ever known.

In the mid 80s, a friend of mine and myself sponsered Wimpy in I believe a US open tournament in Norview VA at Barry's pool room. He didn't win, but we had a great time. I purchased a Joss West stick that Wimpy helped me pick out. It was $250 back in the 80s. Wimpy signed the butt on the joint ( in between where the shaft and the butt screw together). About 7 or 8 years ago I met a guy who owned a pool room. Just in conversation I mentioned that I had a stick signed by Wimpy. I had no intention of selling the stick, but the guy kept bugging me about it and I wasn't playing at the time. He offered me $1500 for it and I took it:(. I don't know what the stick is worth, but it's the stupiest thing I have ever done. Whether it's worth $100 or $5000 the fact that Wimpy Lassiter helped me pick it out and played with it should've been enough of a reason for a MORON like me to keep it. That was such a brain fart! I'm really not that stupid or am I?! :yikes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi my name is Tom. I'm from Elizabeth City NC. I've played pool all my life and Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter was a very dear friend of mine. I spent time with Wimpy in the 70s and 80s. I moved from Elizabeth City NC to Cincinnati OH in 1987. I recieved a phone call from a family member sometime in 1988 and was told that Wimpy had passed. I loved him very much and miss him a lot.

I had been doing some reading on the forums and would like to make a correction regarding his personal pool table. Someone said Wimpy had a 4.5 foot x 9 foot Goldcrown table, but he actually had a 5 foot x 10 foot Gandy (of which I've played thousands of games on). It was in a building behind his and his brother's house on Pearl St in Elizabeth City.

I also read that someone wanted to hear an interesting story about Wimpy. Here's one that comes to mind. Wimpy played with a high end Meucci cue that Meucci gave him. He took a long drill bit and drilled down through the shaft, poured birdshot in it from a shotgun shell. I forget what he plugged it with. When he was stroking the stick you could hear the bird shot shifting in the shaft. He told all of us "it was just to hock people." Even though he was almost 40 years my senior he was more like a pal than an older gentleman to me. Again, I miss and love him very much. What an honor it was was to know Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter (who we called Louie Louie).

By the way, I really enjoyed seeing the pictures that someone posted of Colonial Billiards (which was City Billiards back in the day). Seeing the bench we all sat on and the table that Wimpy and I played on brought back a lot of memories. In my humble opinion and many others Wimpy Lassiter is the GREATEST 9 ball player that has ever stroked a cue.

Thanks so much for this interesting story. I also remember Luther well, he was a legendary player back in the 60's when I was a kid. He was regarded as the best 9-Ball and Straight Pool player of his era. I was fortunate to see him play many times in Johnston City and Las Vegas. His record in those events is unsurpassed. He was also quite willing to bet it up in the back room if anyone felt froggy. In fact he would sit in there every night at Johnston City waiting and hoping for a challenge. I can still see him sitting in the front row of the bleachers, cue case resting against his shoulder, quietly waiting for the challenge that never came. :wink:

One time Eddie Kelly walked into the back room and challenged ANYONE to play some 9-Ball, perhaps not noticing Luther who was dozing off in the bleachers. Lassiter woke up quickly and sat up in his seat. He was still a little groggy but he called out to Kelly, "I will be glad to play you." Kelly looked up at him and responded, "I didn't mean you Mr. Lassiter." I never forgot that pivotal scene, the young gun and the old master. I greatly admired Kelly at the time but it was then I realized that Lassiter was the real deal. All the stories I heard were true.

By the way his best road buddy was Don Willis from Canton, Ohio and his other good friend was George Rood from Dayton. He would frequently (maybe once a year) come into town to hang out with them and play some cards (pinochle). I never saw him play pool in Dayton, except to practice. When he practiced, a lot of people would gather just to watch. That's all for now. Thanks again for mentioning one of my old hero's.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew a lot of wimps in my youth, but unfortunately never met the real Wimpy or saw him play.

Thanks for sharing your story! He is well admired by probably everyone on this forum!

I look forward to hearing the next story.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

This is the stuff that is the reason I love this forum!!!

Thanks Tom! I hope you become a regular contributor here.

Maniac

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member

Here's the link to that thread:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=66848

Great post, I'm from Elizabeth City as well.

What's your last name Tom?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Great story.
When I was in the Navy I lived aboard ship at Little Creek (Norfolk, VA), and on occasion would take a bus to downtown, where I would spend a great deal of my hard earned pay at the various establishments serving adult beverages.
There was an upstairs poolroom nearby that many claimed was often visited by Mr. Lassiter. Do you, by chance, know the name of the place as I have forgotten it.
Welcome to the forum. :smile:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Great story.
When I was in the Navy I lived aboard ship at Little Creek (Norfolk, VA), and on occasion would take a bus to downtown, where I would spend a great deal of my hard earned pay at the various establishments serving adult beverages.
There was an upstairs poolroom nearby that many claimed was often visited by Mr. Lassiter. Do you, by chance, know the name of the place as I have forgotten it.
Welcome to the forum. :smile:

St. Elmos.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Welcome aboard, keep in mind, your in pool room and welllllllllll you know what goes on. Anywho....

I got to seem him play during college in Johnson City from the late sixties till the treasury dept raided/and shut it down in 70 or 71.

Weren't the 2 two 9' tables in the pit at Janscos @ Johnson City Gandys?

My recollection of him during my college days was he always wore a dark suit, had a very interesting selection of bridges depending on the situation, especially the nip bridge, which I saw him use and still use it and teach it to students.
I also remember him having a ferrule about half the length of what was the norm back then, and I'm almost positive it was phenolic, because it was partially red and partially white or it could of been pure red, never did at my young age understand why but it definitely caught my attention. (glare? of a white ferrule) The lighting in the pit in the tournament room had 8 floods and had to be 20 degrees warmer than the room, plus the lights kept the cloth somewhat dry in S. IL.
What also caught my attention was, how well he potted balls that were nearly frozen to the cue ball.
Very quiet man, seemed to nap when not shooting, always trying to be fresh and ready for action at Any time.
He was also very willing to take the 3 scratch foul and rearack/rebrake in 14.1 as he never liked giving his opponent Any shot.
He seemed like a rack mechanic, meaning, his saftey play in a unbroken rack of 14.1 was nearly unbeatable, he almost always beat his opponent to the ball first during this type of board play, that's tough to swallow in match play.
One other item I remember about him was the 16 hr rule. Before he got into a gambling situation he would let his opponent know, that in 16 hrs he would stop play to go rest and would come back the next day & continue play.

Last edited:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Black-Balled: When I was in Elizabeth City in 2004 for my mom's funeral the pool room was still there, but my understanding was that it was more of a kids hang out now.

It's really a shame that you can't just turn the clock back to when it was a REAL pool room. Your on the front table, your in a 3-4 handed 9 ball game and in walks the best player that has ever lived...what a thrill! Wimpy Lassiter, truly one of the nicest gentlemen that I have ever known.

In the mid 80s, a friend of mine and myself sponsered Wimpy in I believe a US open tournament in Norview VA at Barry's pool room. He didn't win, but we had a great time. I purchased a Joss West stick that Wimpy helped me pick out. It was $250 back in the 80s. Wimpy signed the butt on the joint ( in between where the shaft and the butt screw together). About 7 or 8 years ago I met a guy who owned a pool room. Just in conversation I mentioned that I had a stick signed by Wimpy. I had no intention of selling the stick, but the guy kept bugging me about it and I wasn't playing at the time. He offered me $1500 for it and I took it:(. I don't know what the stick is worth, but it's the stupiest thing I have ever done. Whether it's worth $100 or $5000 the fact that Wimpy Lassiter helped me pick it out and played with it should've been enough of a reason for a MORON like me to keep it. That was such a brain fart! I'm really not that stupid or am I?! :yikes:

I know the cue you speak of well. The guy who purchased it from you brought it to me to make him a new shaft for it. I don't believe he's still in the pool room business though. Where do you play in the Cincinnati area. I used to own a couple of pool rooms in the area.

Sherm

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My ship was home ported in Norfolk in the late 60's. I spent many weekends downtown at St. Elmos. One time the locals talked me into asking "that old man" to play. He turned me down, then they all laughed and said "You know who that is? That's Lassiter". I offered to shake hands in apology. He shook with his left hand.

My nickname was SailorBoy:
Sailorboy.jpg

They loved it when I would return from a cruise, cashing in on what they called a "Sea Stroke".

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The first time I got to see Luther Lassiter (after seeing Wide World of Sports in about 1966) was in 1967 when He and Eddie Taylor got together and did an exibition in Oxon Hill High School, Oxon Hill, Maryland in the Fall of 1967. The event was put on by well known pool enthusiast Red Jones, who at the time was probabably manning the Air Force desk in the White House. Anyhow, Wimpy and Eddie did two straight pool exibitions that night. I got to see the second one. Wimpy pretty much had his way with Taylor, though both showed great stuff. Weenie Beenie (Bill Staton) was there as well, to do some trick shots. At the ed of the straight pool match, when Wimpy needed one to win, he positioned himself to be able to put incredible draw on the ball, and announced to the crowd, "Now, I can put some juice on the ball!" He proceeded to win the match with a draw shot that went around the table a couple times, and left the crowd screaming.

It wasn't until the 1982 tournament at Harrah's in Atlantic City that I saw Wimpy again, but I would have to say seeing him on Wide World of Sports, and Oxon Hill High School in the late 60s was what captivated me with pocket billiards. An incredible player.

Halsey

Registered
Branpureza: My last name is Halsey. People used to call me Tommy. What's your last name?

Island Drive: I'm not sure about Johnson City Gandys, but Wimpy did have a cue with a red ferrule. I believe it was a Meucci. He did have several interesting bridges. Believe it or not I was talking to my daughter about that yesterday.

Cuesmith: I have lived alot of life in the past couple of decades and recently purchased a Goldcrown. At this point I'm not playing any where but home. I'm trying to get used to the balls not falling when I hit them now, but I do feel it coming back. :wink: Bob told me he was going to get a shaft made. How did it turn out?

Like the rest of you I'm enjoying the stories that you guys are sharing about my hero and friend.

JohnnyP: When you walk into a pool room and ask you wants to play you need to make sure that Wimpy isn't lurking in the shadows there. You got to meet a legend!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an old post I made a long time ago about my father meeting Lassiter -- nothing particularly notable for those of you who knew him, but some might find it interesting. I thought the thing about the break shot was interesting. Do any of you who knew Lassiter have any comments about this break shot?

One evening, after watching a pool tournament at the Commodore Hotel (next to Grand Central Station in New York City), I felt inspired to do a little playing myself. I had noticed, previously, that whenever I watched the experts, my own play improved dramatically. So I hiked over to a poolroom on Broadway called "Guys and Dolls.". My recollection is that this place was part of the renaissance resulting from the movie, "The Hustler."

I picked up a tray of balls and wandered over to a table near the window. The decor of this place was very different from what was standard in those days...the lights were all fluorescent, and they were in the ceiling, not immediately over the table. The cloths on the tables were various colors, mainly blue, as I recall, with a few in an odd rust color. After I racked up the balls and began to hit a few, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a guy sitting in the corner of the room, about fifteen feet away. He was dressed in a tuxedo, and looked vaguely familiar. It wasn't until some minutes later that I realized it was none other than Luther Lassiter, who I just had been watching at the Commodore. My first instinct was to say hello to him, congratulate him on his excellent play, and then ask, "What the hell are you doing here? You've just played in a top quality tournament -- you're too famous to be putting on a hustle (especially in that tux) -- so what is it? Is it the click of the balls, or are you lonely?" Of course, I said none of these impertinent things, but wound up in a nice chat with him (he was an absolute gentleman) even though he didn't know me from Adam. We particularly discussed his ability to make the 9 ball on the break (although the tournament at the Commodore was a straight pool test) because I had seen him do it at another time. He explained that his technique was to put the cue ball near the string (2nd diamond) on the right side of the table, near the rail. He would then aim at the one ball, hitting it nearly flush, but slightly to the left of center, with just a little right English and follow. When it worked, the cue ball would carom to the left rail and come right back to the center of the pack, which was now exposed by the other balls having been knocked out of the way by the initial hit. If things were working correctly, he said, the 9 ball would still be sitting there, and could be made in the far right corner of the table. He claimed that when he was really practiced up, he could make this shot 3 times out of 10.

The last I saw of him as I later left the room was that he returned to his corner seat, staring off into the distance, his thoughts his own.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's an old post I made a long time ago about my father meeting Lassiter -- nothing particularly notable for those of you who knew him, but some might find it interesting. I thought the thing about the break shot was interesting. Do any of you who knew Lassiter have any comments about this break shot?

One evening, after watching a pool tournament at the Commodore Hotel (next to Grand Central Station in New York City), I felt inspired to do a little playing myself. I had noticed, previously, that whenever I watched the experts, my own play improved dramatically. So I hiked over to a poolroom on Broadway called "Guys and Dolls.". My recollection is that this place was part of the renaissance resulting from the movie, "The Hustler."

I picked up a tray of balls and wandered over to a table near the window. The decor of this place was very different from what was standard in those days...the lights were all fluorescent, and they were in the ceiling, not immediately over the table. The cloths on the tables were various colors, mainly blue, as I recall, with a few in an odd rust color. After I racked up the balls and began to hit a few, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a guy sitting in the corner of the room, about fifteen feet away. He was dressed in a tuxedo, and looked vaguely familiar. It wasn't until some minutes later that I realized it was none other than Luther Lassiter, who I just had been watching at the Commodore. My first instinct was to say hello to him, congratulate him on his excellent play, and then ask, "What the hell are you doing here? You've just played in a top quality tournament -- you're too famous to be putting on a hustle (especially in that tux) -- so what is it? Is it the click of the balls, or are you lonely?" Of course, I said none of these impertinent things, but wound up in a nice chat with him (he was an absolute gentleman) even though he didn't know me from Adam. We particularly discussed his ability to make the 9 ball on the break (although the tournament at the Commodore was a straight pool test) because I had seen him do it at another time. He explained that his technique was to put the cue ball near the string (2nd diamond) on the right side of the table, near the rail. He would then aim at the one ball, hitting it nearly flush, but slightly to the left of center, with just a little right English and follow. When it worked, the cue ball would carom to the left rail and come right back to the center of the pack, which was now exposed by the other balls having been knocked out of the way by the initial hit. If things were working correctly, he said, the 9 ball would still be sitting there, and could be made in the far right corner of the table. He claimed that when he was really practiced up, he could make this shot 3 times out of 10.

The last I saw of him as I later left the room was that he returned to his corner seat, staring off into the distance, his thoughts his own.

I think the only place Luther felt comfortable was in a poolroom. And Guys & Dolls (at 50th and Broadway) was a great room with lots of action and many good players. If he couldn't get a game the next best thing was watching one. His life was all about POOL!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WildWing...Red Jones had the distinction of being one of only two poolplayers to ever do a show for the President of the United States. The other one was my mentor Jack White.

Tom Halsey...Welcome to the forums! Nice to hear from someone who has had the pleasure of being friends with a great legend in the sport! I look forward to hearing more stories from you!

On topic, Jack told me stories about going on the road a couple of times, with Wimpy and Don Willis. He was the youngster of the trio, and told me about how Wimpy would make his own games...Willis would play anyone at any game (including cards & dice)...and Jack would usually match up with somebody local, as he was largely unknown yet. It was rare when any of the three of them booked a loser! This was in the late 50's.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The event was put on by well known pool enthusiast Red Jones, who at the time was probabably manning the Air Force desk in the White House.

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
met a few times

i met mr lassiter a few times in the old billiard palace in belflower, couple things i remember about him, i ask about the red ferrule, he winked at me and said i can't see very good any more so i have something at the end of my shaft i can see.
other time he was sitting at the counter eating a hamburger, a hotshot kid walked up behind him and said , hey wimp, i would like to play you some $50.00 one pocket. mr lassiter slowly turned around looked the kid up and down and said, kid, i would like to play you some $500.00 one pocket.
only met him a few times and once when he and balsas shot an exibition at imperial billiards, but he always conducted himself as a perfect gentleman, and had time for novices like me pestering him with questions.
chuck starkey