a blast from the past, Terry Ardeno

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A real blast from the past, I talked to Terry for hours today. Pretty typical if we are both free to talk. If we talk at all, we talk a lot. Might be six months and we will do it again.

Those that have been around long enough will remember Terry as one of the really good people that made AZB special. He is doing great now but has found a more important calling than pool, he is preaching and spending his time serving God. Can't argue with that no matter how much I wish he was here.

This story is only marginally about Terry though. Terry was having a major surgery, about a week in the hospital and then a long time in bed. I wanted to brighten his stay in the hospital a bit but you can't send a big burly guy like Terry flowers, just ain't right. Aha, my first brainstorm, balloon bouquet. A fairly nice one might run seventy-five dollars or so back then, a small price to pay.

My next brainstorm is where I got in trouble. It struck me that he would like a bouquet and card from me but one from many of his friends on AZB would be nicer. I made the suggestion one evening that everybody donate a little with the idea of raising seventy-five dollars or so. As soon as I posted it was like a switchboard lighting up when the tenth caller gets a nice prize! Five or ten minutes and I was saying "Whoa, whoa, enough already!" Or something similar. My post was totally ignored and money kept pouring in. By the next day it was about a thousand dollars. WOW! It would be silly to spend that much on balloons, a plan "B" was needed.

I found out that Terry wouldn't be able to reach his desktop while in bed, it was in the basement and it would be a month or more before he could do stairs. We were in laptop range so I suggested getting him a laptop for his bedroom and running the cable or whatever to get internet access there. That opened the taps again when all I wanted was permission to repurpose the money we had already.

Before it was over with we bought Terry a nice laptop, had it hooked to the net, and bought a dozen or so pool dvd's to burn the rest of the money. I don't remember if I arranged the balloons or not!

Our better off members had contributed generously, people at all levels dug deep for Terry. Maybe the biggest gift was five dollars along with an apology. That was the last five dollars that member had! Needless to say, I told them no apology needed and that the donations weren't ranked by size.

I don't think about that little deal anymore but you can bet your bottom dollar Terry has never forgotten! Nobody has done something like that for him before or since. He still gives me far more credit than I deserve. I didn't plan to spearhead this huge outpouring of love and a little cash, I just thought it would be nice to buy him a balloon. Fortunately I made no mention in my first post of my plan to match whatever was raised to be sure he had a nice balloon bouquet.

I thought six or eight would be cool, a dozen very nice, eighteen or twenty enough to embarrass him and give me a good chuckle. Burying the room in balloons or what we eventually did wasn't the plan! I do have to admit that I still think delivering several truckloads of balloons to his hospital room would have been funny!

That was a half-dozen computers ago and I don't remember who all was involved. Some are dead, many are gone from AZB. I do wish we could get that old AZB feeling back though. It isn't bad now but it was once a really special community.

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A real blast from the past, I talked to Terry for hours today. Pretty typical if we are both free to talk. If we talk at all, we talk a lot. Might be six months and we will do it again.

Those that have been around long enough will remember Terry as one of the really good people that made AZB special. He is doing great now but has found a more important calling than pool, he is preaching and spending his time serving God. Can't argue with that no matter how much I wish he was here.

This story is only marginally about Terry though. Terry was having a major surgery, about a week in the hospital and then a long time in bed. I wanted to brighten his stay in the hospital a bit but you can't send a big burly guy like Terry flowers, just ain't right. Aha, my first brainstorm, balloon bouquet. A fairly nice one might run seventy-five dollars or so back then, a small price to pay.

My next brainstorm is where I got in trouble. It struck me that he would like a bouquet and card from me but one from many of his friends on AZB would be nicer. I made the suggestion one evening that everybody donate a little with the idea of raising seventy-five dollars or so. As soon as I posted it was like a switchboard lighting up when the tenth caller gets a nice prize! Five or ten minutes and I was saying "Whoa, whoa, enough already!" Or something similar. My post was totally ignored and money kept pouring in. By the next day it was about a thousand dollars. WOW! It would be silly to spend that much on balloons, a plan "B" was needed.

I found out that Terry wouldn't be able to reach his desktop while in bed, it was in the basement and it would be a month or more before he could do stairs. We were in laptop range so I suggested getting him a laptop for his bedroom and running the cable or whatever to get internet access there. That opened the taps again when all I wanted was permission to repurpose the money we had already.

Before it was over with we bought Terry a nice laptop, had it hooked to the net, and bought a dozen or so pool dvd's to burn the rest of the money. I don't remember if I arranged the balloons or not!

Our better off members had contributed generously, people at all levels dug deep for Terry. Maybe the biggest gift was five dollars along with an apology. That was the last five dollars that member had! Needless to say, I told them no apology needed and that the donations weren't ranked by size.

I don't think about that little deal anymore but you can bet your bottom dollar Terry has never forgotten! Nobody has done something like that for him before or since. He still gives me far more credit than I deserve. I didn't plan to spearhead this huge outpouring of love and a little cash, I just thought it would be nice to buy him a balloon. Fortunately I made no mention in my first post of my plan to match whatever was raised to be sure he had a nice balloon bouquet.

I thought six or eight would be cool, a dozen very nice, eighteen or twenty enough to embarrass him and give me a good chuckle. Burying the room in balloons or what we eventually did wasn't the plan! I do have to admit that I still think delivering several truckloads of balloons to his hospital room would have been funny!

That was a half-dozen computers ago and I don't remember who all was involved. Some are dead, many are gone from AZB. I do wish we could get that old AZB feeling back though. It isn't bad now but it was once a really special community.

Hu

I remember Hu and I remember Terry as well. He's a very special guy. I'm an old fogie so when I find a community I like I just stay there until I no longer feel welcome., and I still like it here. Sure it's changed, but I haven't. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m glad Terry Ardeno is all right....I was afraid to ask about his absence from AZ.
....Terry, like Hu, made me feel welcome in the first few months I joined.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Terry Ardeno. He's most definitely one of the shining lights in the AzBilliards community.

First time I met him was at Super Billiassd Expo in the early 2000s. What a kind gentleman, and he has a strong passion for pool too. My kind of guy! :cool:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Only Smorg

I love Terry Ardeno. He's most definitely one of the shining lights in the AzBilliards community.

First time I met him was at Super Billiassd Expo in the early 2000s. What a kind gentleman, and he has a strong passion for pool too. My kind of guy! :cool:

Only Smorg got the kind of outpouring of love that Terry got.

Hu

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

I remember Terry as a great guy, very passionate about pool , I am glad he found his calling, and like you , I wish we could move more toward the direction of the old az than the direction we , {myself included} have been going

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Only Smorg got the kind of outpouring of love that Terry got.

Hu

I agree wholeheartedly! Both of those gentlemen made AZB the forum I wanted to support. I also remember when Terry was gifted that PC, he was more than grateful in the PM he sent. Glad he is doing well. He is one classy gentleman. Thanks for the update Hu. :thumbup:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Hu, thank you so much for posting this about Mr Ardeno. I was thinking whether he is doing fine. It was quite some years ago when we exchanged PMs about pool and other stuff happening in life.

Times change, and for various reasons we don't see many nice AZers from the past posting as often as they did. Glad you gave me a reason to reflect on these good ages :smile:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the AZB is a pretty amazing place I'll agree, having benefited from its collective generosity and passion for the game, myself.

If you keep your eyes clear, you might even find a typo from JAM. seriously.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno was a well-respected and highly valued poster in these AZB parts, very passionate about pool's history. He's missed, but it's great to hear that he's doing well.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Thanks for the update, Hu.

Terry is a great guy!

How about his avatar and declaration: "I still love my wife". :thumbup:

If quarantine don't change that, nothing will. :grin-square:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
no surprise

Thanks for the update, Hu.

Terry is a great guy!

How about his avatar and declaration: "I still love my wife". :thumbup:

If quarantine don't change that, nothing will. :grin-square:

Just to continue the update, I'm sure it is no surprise that Terry is still devoted to his wife and children. A special guy, the kind you just know a handful like in a lifetime it seems.

Hu

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I always enjoyed his contributions to AZB. A calm, rational and pleasant voice in a place where that isn't always the case.