So what do you do when you are playing this guy

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are playing in a tournament. You won a couple, maybe even three matches. You are feeling good, shooting loose and know you can make everything. Then you draw the "Human Glacier". This guy will not take any chances and plays safe after safe. Worse he takes five minutes thinking of each one. You sit there and stew as you cannot believe he won't take the long shot on the 5. If he makes it he would just have stop shots to the 9.

Got to admit I don't have the patience for this guy. That's why I never fared very well in one pocket. I could watch it (my favorite- Ginky and Larry Lisciotti at Country Club) but never play it because, well, I'm just too damn impatient.

I suppose the answer is you have to adapt or lose, but how do you internally handle this guy?

Bob

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
No disrespect, but the first thing I thought of to ask you is how old are you? I think patience comes with age to a large degree.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
If you're not worried about him cheating, don't watch. Occupy your mind with something else when you aren't at the table. Get your phone out and play candy crush or something. Check out the hot chick in the crowd. When I was playing golf in college, there was a lot of downtime in between shots. You had to learn how to switch on and off, or you'd be mentally burned out by the end of your 5 hour round if you were constantly "on".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You are playing in a tournament. You won a couple, maybe even three matches. You are feeling good, shooting loose and know you can make everything. Then you draw the "Human Glacier". This guy will not take any chances and plays safe after safe. Worse he takes five minutes thinking of each one. You sit there and stew as you cannot believe he won't take the long shot on the 5. If he makes it he would just have stop shots to the 9.

Got to admit I don't have the patience for this guy. That's why I never fared very well in one pocket. I could watch it (my favorite- Ginky and Larry Lisciotti at Country Club) but never play it because, well, I'm just too damn impatient.

I suppose the answer is you have to adapt or lose, but how do you internally handle this guy?

Bob

Don't focus too much on what strategies your opponents employ to try and beat you. Everyone has a slightly different formula for success. Focus on your own turns and how to get the most out of them.

Still, you should have advised the tournament director that your opponent was spending five minutes on numerous shots and a warning would have been issued, which likely would have resulted in a more acceptable pace of play.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I have a special coin in my case that whenever I am in the chair this coin is in my hand. The way I deal with someone like this is I just sit and watch and flip my coin over and over again. While that coin is in my hand it is the only thing that I am thinking of. It has gotten to be such a mental blocker for me that I am fairly certain just about anything could happen in front of me while that coin is in my hand. The bottom line I would tell you is that you just need to find something to focus on that can calm you and take your mind off of how slowly the other person is playing.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this happen in a small tournament.
The guy was playing great safes but I was fortunate to be able to kick well above my other abilities.
I think I shocked him a few times when I hit the ball from a crazy position.
I still sold out some shots but he kept expecting ball in hand , and just did not get it very often.
I had a moment where I just thought , "it's not worth the effort" . Then I thought , "if he wants to play funky , lets get funky. "
I changed my rythym and slowed down and bore down on every hit , he played a great safe, had an easy run out, after I sold out, and missed a makeable 5 ball and his game went in the toilet.
People are funny, I have learned from one pocket that almost any problem can be turned around unless your opponent runs out every time.
Even against great players.
I have been in games where they are playing perfect , make a great safety and expect you to fold and if you can turn that instance around , some of them will wilt.
You never know which ones it will be till it happens.
So your job is to make it happen as often as possible.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
You can tell the tournament director about his slow play, but other than that his choice of shots is up to him. You can take the opportunity while he's at the table to work on your mental toughness, which includes fading slow play and whatever choices your opponent makes at the table, and not letting any of that get to you and negatively affect you when it's your turn at the table.

APA BRIAN

APA BRIAN
Silver Member
No disrespect, but the first thing I thought of to ask you is how old are you? I think patience comes with age to a large degree.

No disrespect but this is highly irritating at any age. They pay people on Golf courses to stop this lol.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ha-ha...great one. I always tell my kids when I was a kid there was no dirt. Just styrofoam. Dirt wasn't invented yet. I'm old, very, very old. :thumbup:

Bob

bobforest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This only annoys me when they are no-money, practice games.

I agree 100% - in practice, let's shoot pool and enjoy it..

In a match though - as long as your opponent's behaviour is within the rules of the game, then YOU have to deal with it... there are psychological elements to many sports/games and true competitors will take advantage of them and/or learn to deal with them...

Cheers

Bob

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in this situation to many times to remember, however, if it's at a tournament, they don't want the tournament to lag behind because of exaggerated slow play, nicely time the person as most tournaments have a one minute shot clock and I think no one minds giving and receiving a little extra time on a crucial shot, however, I have adopted a few things before going to a shot clock, which it does not bother me either way, but, when the the glacier man shows and I time him at three minutes between shots, I'll wait until I can get a shot where it's a no brainer, even if it's a duck nine ball and pull out my watch and lay it on the rail, especially if he blew the nine or an eight nine easy out, he is not going to be happy in the first place and he is not going to be happier after seeing me put a watch on the rail and look him dead in the eyes for the full three minutes in return, then dump the easy nine. Of course, I'll say something like, wow...... three minutes is a long time, not sure if you realize you have an exaggerated slow playing routine?? I don't want to be unkind to get us on the shot clock, but, right now, it's way to long. Please though, before you make a move, when your at home or somewhere, stand by a table and keep your eyes at the table while someone times you for a minute, it's a long time and you need to be aware that your aware that people don't just run up and shoot like you do.
The other trick I've done is wave down an official and tell them to watch a shot as I have to go to the bathroom and I usually get a response like wait until the game is over, in which I mention it takes the guy longer to shoot between shots than it does for me to re rack and break a game. Getting the official involved may just make it easier on you as you know someone is watching. I did once roll up my jacket and crawled under a table like I was going to take a nap, that one kind of got me in a little trouble as my wife didn't appreciate my jester towards the slow player, but, at the moment, I thought it was the right thing to do. My opponent got the message as in fact, we both had kind of a good laugh together and he became a little more aware of his slow nature.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in this situation to many times to remember, however, if it's at a tournament, they don't want the tournament to lag behind because of exaggerated slow play, nicely time the person as most tournaments have a one minute shot clock and I think no one minds giving and receiving a little extra time on a crucial shot, however, I have adopted a few things before going to a shot clock, which it does not bother me either way, but, when the the glacier man shows and I time him at three minutes between shots, I'll wait until I can get a shot where it's a no brainer, even if it's a duck nine ball and pull out my watch and lay it on the rail, especially if he blew the nine or an eight nine easy out, he is not going to be happy in the first place and he is not going to be happier after seeing me put a watch on the rail and look him dead in the eyes for the full three minutes in return, then dump the easy nine. Of course, I'll say something like, wow...... three minutes is a long time, not sure if you realize you have an exaggerated slow playing routine?? I don't want to be unkind to get us on the shot clock, but, right now, it's way to long. Please though, before you make a move, when your at home or somewhere, stand by a table and keep your eyes at the table while someone times you for a minute, it's a long time and you need to be aware that your aware that people don't just run up and shoot like you do.
The other trick I've done is wave down an official and tell them to watch a shot as I have to go to the bathroom and I usually get a response like wait until the game is over, in which I mention it takes the guy longer to shoot between shots than it does for me to re rack and break a game. Getting the official involved may just make it easier on you as you know someone is watching. I did once roll up my jacket and crawled under a table like I was going to take a nap, that one kind of got me in a little trouble as my wife didn't appreciate my jester towards the slow player, but, at the moment, I thought it was the right thing to do. My opponent got the message as in fact, we both had kind of a good laugh together and he became a little more aware of his slow nature.

Holy crap! You must be a huge guy! Now I like your suggestions but I'm only a little (albeit maybe a little overweight) old guy. I'd be afraid if I did that stuff I'd get smacked in the nose. But if he was also a little old guy like me, then I could see myself doing some of those things. If nothing else it is a good shark move that should certainly throw him off his game.

JC

Coos Cues
I have a special coin in my case that whenever I am in the chair this coin is in my hand. The way I deal with someone like this is I just sit and watch and flip my coin over and over again. While that coin is in my hand it is the only thing that I am thinking of. It has gotten to be such a mental blocker for me that I am fairly certain just about anything could happen in front of me while that coin is in my hand. The bottom line I would tell you is that you just need to find something to focus on that can calm you and take your mind off of how slowly the other person is playing.

Opponents flipping coins while I'm shooting also are eligible for a liver shanking or perhaps an ocular one.

JC

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It's too late for you ... shank him

Agreed, or a stiff shot with a cue butt just behind his left ear (or a sharp kick to the groin) will give you tremendous satisfaction....
....or you could begin playing safe back, when they start giving up ball in hand the game changes pretty quickly

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
I enjoy slow players as it gives me ample opportunity to text and make phone calls. Someone that plays a lot of safety shots tends to get them played back at some point also. I once played with a guy that would look at the angle on the 8-ball with ball in hand and the 9 hanging. He was meticulous. As my dad used to say, think long play wrong.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy slow players as it gives me ample opportunity to text and make phone calls. Someone that plays a lot of safety shots tends to get them played back at some point also. I once played with a guy that would look at the angle on the 8-ball with ball in hand and the 9 hanging. He was meticulous. As my dad used to say, think long play wrong.

I'm not sure slow players are thinking that long..I think there just lost between the ears..I once asked a guy if he needed help..! I was warned for bad sportmanship..lol. this was at Nationals..my bad. What I really meant was..do you want a time out..this too would have wrong most likely..oh well.